DJI Official Battery Heater

That's very interesting but a crappy design in my opinion. Using 3-7% of your own battery???

But... a cold battery would fly less time anyway?
Right. The loss should be pretty close to the minute or so that is normally spent hovering in place after takeoff to give the battery time to warm up.

Not a good design concept. I'm disappointed.

What don't you like about it?

Uses the battery to heat itself. Thats the worst flaw. If it used an external LIPO or something other than flight battery to heat itself, then maybe.

I am thinking maybe ripping up a old peltier cooled icebox and 3D printing a small case/holder for batteries. It could then run off the 12v in your car/truck or other accessory 12v supply.

Ah. I was seeing that as a major benefit -- since I wouldn't have to charge and carry around a separate battery to power the heater. Then again, I'm not into long distance flying, so I'm probably not seeing the importance of that extra ~5% of flight time.

Reactions: Numone
Its about flight TIME not necessarily distance for me. My max distance was a one time shot of 10k feet to see what its limit is (for self knowledge more than anything). I am more interested in time aloft for shooting/video than seeing how far I can go. I would guess the majority of my flights don't roam more than 2k from home.

If the warmer was a self contained thing with its own power (rechargable LiPo or external perhaps), it wouldn't tap the flight battery of critical power just when it needs it...cold. I fly in Wisconsin. It gets cold here :)

I have been using a lunch box from walmart and microwaving blue ice packs dumped into ziplock bags (to allow for expansion). It works but isn't the best solution.

Why I have been pondering cannibalizing my ice chest is that the unique thing about a peltier is that its reversible. So the battery warmer could become a battery cooler. On my recent trip to Florida I found out I can't charge the battery immediately after flight. Apparently it has to cool down first. When plugged in right away the incremental bars start then stop and the LED next to the power button flashes. If I let it cool for a while it will then begin charging.

What I wanted to make was a box that would house the batteries and a peltier. In the winter I could use the box to heat the batteries prior to flight. In the summer, I could reverse the polarity on the peltier and turn it into a cooler to chill down the batteries so they would begin charging sooner.

It is just a passive charger with no logic built in. It should have at least a timer and/or temperature operated switch to turn heater on and off. This is a DJI product and should have intelligence.

I get a beautiful coffee warmer for $6 with better controls. Plug it into car, and use it.

Last edited:
Ah. I was seeing that as a major benefit -- since I wouldn't have to charge and carry around a separate battery to power the heater. Then again, I'm not into long distance flying, so I'm probably not seeing the importance of that extra ~5% of flight time.
I think its a really clever concept too. I'll wait til its available from stock in the UK.

Nope, it uses the power from the P3 battery itself to activate the heating element, hence why they estimate it'll use 3 to 7% of power from the battery.
yes.... so I say it should have its own rechargeable battery, not use the phantom battery

yes.... so I say it should have its own rechargeable battery, not use the phantom battery
Ahhhh, I see what you mean. Well, just like msinger, I too see this as an advantage, with one less thing to carry and recharge. I still think its a brilliant item.

By using it's own power the battery is heated in 2 ways:
-A heating element in the housing.
-The battery gets warmer by itself (like with flying)

Reactions: PEEFA and Numone
By using it's own power the battery is heated in 2 ways:
-A heating element in the housing.
-The battery gets warmer by itself (like with flying)

That is the reason to use flight battery to warm the battery internal whilst creating more warmth. It is a very efficient system if you think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Neve takeoff with a battery that's at less than 100%, oh wait, unless you use DJi's battery heater, then it's Ok.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl