DJI Help needs explaining

The DAT file on the AC confirms disconnect? Even if it hadn't disconnected, I'd still be curious on why it did what it did unless you were sending bad commands while you were blind at least initially and it crashed before you sent RTH.

The app did have the lat-long coordinates of where it was but it was of where it lost contact.
I did find the P4P 3 weeks later (yesterday)and the video showed on disconnect, it stopped for a couple seconds, then drifted away descending till it hit a 50 foot tree 500 feet further away from the GPS location of where it was supposed to be, within 5 seconds, all the while while I'm pushing the RTH button.

Hi msinger;

I just wanted to say how much I appreciate your extraordinary knowledge about drones in general and how exceptionally you analyze the flight data of these lost machines. The numerous times you've helped people that have had unfortunate results with their drones, is, in my opinion, just fascinating.

You are an incredible asset to this forum and although I hope it doesn't happen to me, I hope that you'll be around if and when it does.

Thank you for the help you give to the members of this forum msinger. I really appreciate what you do.

With kind regards

Bud

That will only happen if the "Smart Return-to-Home" setting is enabled.

I don't post much as I am still much of a (64 year old) senior lurking novice but I too am amazed by the skills of MSinger and would like to add my admiration of his interpretation skills in helping those mere mortals amongst us who meet with disasters. I still think he has help from the orbiting Mother Ship.

I have not had any major incidents (yet) such as the vanishing acts sometimes reported but did have an elder moment last week with a partial flyaway. Luckily RTH worked and I recovered control after several minutes. Later on I discovered the Flight Log Screen (might be called something else) with the recorded flight path super-imposed. The AC indicator hovered around at the point where I lost contact then 'jumped' several 100 feet, probably to the point where RTH kicked in.

It was an old burned out factory site with probably loads of buried girders and metal work, so compass errors were not unexpected.
Due for redevelopment (the site not me) so I wanted some over-flight records to add to the before and after urban explorer type photographs which I already have.

Didn't mean to topic hi-jack, apologies Bill.
Cheers Al.

Well today, after 5.5 hours and over 5 mile of searching , I found my P4P. My 72 year old body and 10 year old artificial hip took a beating today because of DJI's screw up.
I took previous advice that it would be between the point of disconnect and the RTH set point. But I kept on going in the same direction beyond the point of disconnect and found the drone had crashed into a tree that couldn't have been higher than 50 feet (when RTH was set at 140 feet) . Battery dead, shell broken but seems to work other then looks like a train wreak. With a new battery it looks like it's ok.
But from the attached YouTube video, on disconnect, why did it stop, not rotate to home point, but slowly drifts away in the opposite direction and with a decreasing altitude till it hit a 50 foot tree. I did not control this drift but had a planned RTH that didn't happen.
I can't upload the video to this site as it's too large so put it on YouTube at:

So if it's set to RTH on disconnect, but it stops and drifts sideways AWAY from Home Point, what is going on? And why is it descending?
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Bill

A 72 Y/O body and a bung hip! I'm hearing you brother. Tho not quite as many miles on the clock as your good self, I do have a few physical challenges and did have occasion last year to spend the best part of a day crawling thru snake infested bush looking for a flyaway (unsuccessfully) and vowed never to be caught out again. Your flyaway could have been caused by a dozen or more different problems and hope for your sake and the UAV community you nail down an answer. But may I suggest a tracker would have saved some wear and tear on you if not your bird. I use the Marco Polo and after my experience I NEVER take off without it. Good luck!

Well, said, and I though it was time he got the thanks he deserved from me because he's helped me on a few occasions when I was new at it.

I'm over 70 now but love to get out when I can. I can only get out to fly when I have help because I'm in a wheelchair most of the time but when I can use my sticks that helps a bit too. The nice thing is I can sit down when I take the video which is great for me since I can't walk anywhere anyway.

All the best.

Bud

I don't post much as I am still much of a (64 year old) senior lurking novice but I too am amazed by the skills of MSinger and would like to add my admiration of his interpretation skills in helping those mere mortals amongst us who meet with disasters. I still think he has help from the orbiting Mother Ship.

I have not had any major incidents (yet) such as the vanishing acts sometimes reported but did have an elder moment last week with a partial flyaway. Luckily RTH worked and I recovered control after several minutes. Later on I discovered the Flight Log Screen (might be called something else) with the recorded flight path super-imposed. The AC indicator hovered around at the point where I lost contact then 'jumped' several 100 feet, probably to the point where RTH kicked in.

It was an old burned out factory site with probably loads of buried girders and metal work, so compass errors were not unexpected.
Due for redevelopment (the site not me) so I wanted some over-flight records to add to the before and after urban explorer type photographs which I already have.

Didn't mean to topic hi-jack, apologies Bill.
Cheers Al.

I'm over 70 now but love to get out when I can. I can only get out to fly when I have help because I'm in a wheelchair most of the time but when I can use my sticks that helps a bit too. The nice thing is I can sit down when I take the video which is great for me since I can't walk anywhere anyway.

Bud
What is it with us "auld yins" and flying Phantoms? Therapy? Maybe we should have a Seniors' Forum.
I'm not quite at the wheelchair stage but do use sticks and wear a Herman Munster Support Boot. A 3x bypass and several complications and I'm still here to moan about it. Nurses declared me "bullet-proof!" Like you (Bud) I have to depend on my cousin for transport and general back-up. Thankfully he is a Phantom Pilot as well. A padded coolbox does me as a store for spare parts and makes a great portable seat. No Buds, can't drink alcohol.

Cheers, Alan.

Reactions: Matchlock
It's funny you know, because I get people sometimes say to me, oh, that's really too bad, you can't walk but if the truth were known, I'm better off than a lot of people really. I don't drink or smoke but I get my enjoyment in many other ways and flying my Phantom 4 Pro and Mavic Pro is just two ways I get real enjoyment out of life recreationally.

My Grandchildren and Great Grand children think it's just awesome when I fly these things and they think I'm a genius to be able to make them fly and when they see them fly, and I see their faces, that is worth everything to me. Whenever I'm out flying and they're watching, I feel like a kid again.

Thanks for the reply Alan, I enjoyed your post.

Bud

What is it with us "auld yins" and flying Phantoms? Therapy? Maybe we should have a Seniors' Forum.
I'm not quite at the wheelchair stage but do use sticks and wear a Herman Munster Support Boot. A 3x bypass and several complications and I'm still here to moan about it. Nurses declared me "bullet-proof!" Like you (Bud) I have to depend on my cousin for transport and general back-up. Thankfully he is a Phantom Pilot as well. A padded coolbox does me as a store for spare parts and makes a great portable seat. No Buds, can't drink alcohol.

Cheers, Alan.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
@ Bud, I have to agree with you about being relatively better off, both financially and healthwise since the heart attack. But it was a HELLUVA way to stop smoking. I had tried everything short of chopping off my fingers which would have made it very difficult to make my hand rolled cigs. Waking up and seeing a green zombie looking back at me in the bathroom mirror told me all was not well in my world. I chapped up my neighbour to ask her to come in and sit with me until the paramedics arrived. She told me politely to fornicate off and that she would not come and babysit for as long as I had **** snakes (only King Snakes, Python, Boas, Corns and Grey Rat Snake .... and a couple or five Tarantulas). It wasn't as if they were running loose or curled up on the settee. A week later and I was in the best 5***** hospital in Scotland. Normally I should have been in and back out in 10 days. I was 'enjoying' myself so much that I stayed for 6 weeks. My leg was so popular that doctors, nurses and consultants were queuing at the door to see it. Bonus operation for a wandering blood clot. Nurses were 'booking' the bursting rights for big blisters from a dressing allergic reaction. The Head Consultant declared officially that my leg had taken a battering!

So now, smoking money more than pays for my Phantoms and there are a couple of places where I can go fly by myself. 20 minutes and I can stomp on the sticks to a large park where the only people to 'bother' me are folk literally between a 1 year old toddler, young lads and a 75 year old lady who was amazed by modern technology. When I explained about being a camera and showed her a live feed of herself on the iPad .. totally gone that it was a movie camera!! Then two Police walked by without batting an eye-lid. I only noticed them when I played back the movies. Much, much better was a trip up north to Glen Orchy last Sunday with my cousin. Now I have a couple of movie clips worth showing.

Glasgow humour appeals to most people but I really was not joking about the neighbour.
Stay well yourself and keep flying your Phantom & Mavic , Bud.
Cheers Alan.

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad you were able to quit smoking and it's great with all that extra loot isn't it? You can buy drones til the cows come home now.

Sorry to cut this short but I have an appointment in a few minutes at the hospital but it'll only take about an hour. Perhaps I'll get a chance to get back on here when I get home.

Cheers,

Bud

@ Bud, I have to agree with you about being relatively better off, both financially and healthwise since the heart attack. But it was a HELLUVA way to stop smoking. I had tried everything short of chopping off my fingers which would have made it very difficult to make my hand rolled cigs. Waking up and seeing a green zombie looking back at me in the bathroom mirror told me all was not well in my world. I chapped up my neighbour to ask her to come in and sit with me until the paramedics arrived. She told me politely to fornicate off and that she would not come and babysit for as long as I had **** snakes (only King Snakes, Python, Boas, Corns and Grey Rat Snake .... and a couple or five Tarantulas). It wasn't as if they were running loose or curled up on the settee. A week later and I was in the best 5***** hospital in Scotland. Normally I should have been in and back out in 10 days. I was 'enjoying' myself so much that I stayed for 6 weeks. My leg was so popular that doctors, nurses and consultants were queuing at the door to see it. Bonus operation for a wandering blood clot. Nurses were 'booking' the bursting rights for big blisters from a dressing allergic reaction. The Head Consultant declared officially that my leg had taken a battering!

So now, smoking money more than pays for my Phantoms and there are a couple of places where I can go fly by myself. 20 minutes and I can stomp on the sticks to a large park where the only people to 'bother' me are folk literally between a 1 year old toddler, young lads and a 75 year old lady who was amazed by modern technology. When I explained about being a camera and showed her a live feed of herself on the iPad .. totally gone that it was a movie camera!! Then two Police walked by without batting an eye-lid. I only noticed them when I played back the movies. Much, much better was a trip up north to Glen Orchy last Sunday with my cousin. Now I have a couple of movie clips worth showing.

Glasgow humour appeals to most people but I really was not joking about the neighbour.
Stay well yourself and keep flying your Phantom & Mavic , Bud.
Cheers Alan.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164