Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

DJI GS Pro vs Pix4D Capture?

Discussion in 'Surveying and Mapping' started by Ed Martin, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Ed Martin

I've been using Pix4D Capture to help map race tracks. But I'm intrigued by DJI's GS Pro. Has anyone used both? I'd love to hear real experiences & opinions.

2. kitefiter

I liked the settings but the 99 waypoint limit made it not workable for me. Take a look at Map Pilot by MapsMadeEasy.

3. dronie326

Commented on this in the other thread but switching from a hover and shoot mode to capture at equal distance intervals should alleviate any way point limitations. I'm flying some very large construction projects (multi-battery) so I can't imagine it not working for others use cases as well.

I've used both and Pix4D is nice in that it is simple to start up and use but I don't like that you are limited to squares/rectangles. Most all the areas I fly require more unique polygons. For strictly nadir mapping, DJI GS Pro has a lot more flexibility in terms of settings and preplanning/saving missions.

4. RocketBrew

The DroneDeploy app allows unique polygons.

5. dronie326

Indeed it does. I've used it quite a bit too. It works well but I do feel like it's a bit glitchy at times and could still use some refining.

6. bluelight support

I've only used GS Pro on single battery missions, how does it cope with multi battery (as in how does it operate)

7. kitefiter

I use Map Pilot and I love it. It does irregular figures, centerline missions, multiple batteries, adusts the mission to the terrain, allows pre flight planning and more. The new centerline mission allows you to define a flight path with angle points and then add parallel lines on each side. Just what I needed for urban street projects.

8. angola

I have been using P3 Advanced with pix4d capture for mine mapping.All was fine till I upgraded the camera to a 4k professional.Now the shots have become irregular .I upgraded the drone firmware,Any ideas_

9. bluelight support

use map pilot or try ground station pro - or re-install pix4d

10. angola

Thanks for that.Will give it a try.

11. PeteM

Mission Planner is the best... free, open source and with a great community of dev and modders behind...

12. bluelight support

I disagree personally, I've had a few issues with it in the past, I prefer UGCS which is free going on to a premium paid version depending on needs

13. ArtursJu

You can change Capture mode to time interval mode. In this mode no waypoint limits.

14. doktorinjh

The iPad version allows for polygons, but the Android does not. At least in the most recent versions.

I miss the original DJI Ground Station app because it allowed you to adjust the elevations of the individual waypoints. We flew a site with a vertical change of several hundred feet and couldn't adjust that side of the mission to fly higher to accommodate the change. I'll have to look into some of the other apps that were mentioned.

15. cadm8

It's a hijack to the thread, but really Dji ultimate flight along with mission planner is the way to go for me

16. DefiantChild

I think you're comparing apples to oranges. Mission Planner is like Litchi and oriented towards aerial videography (among other uses) whereas DJI Ground Station, Pix4D, Map Pilot, DroneDeploy, and even UgCS are generally photogrammetric survey and mapping tools.

As for mapping, I really wanted to like Map Pilot, especially because it could auto-adjust AGL to ground elevation [something lacking in DroneDeploy]. But Map Pilot repeatedly crashes (I generally use a nearly virgin 256GB iPad 4). With DroneDeploy, mixed terrain missions have to be broken into sub-missions to account for ground elevation changes if you want to maintain (reasonably) consistent AGLs.

Personally, I feel photogrammetric survey and mapping apps that fail to take into account battery swaps or provide AGL 'terrain following' are deficient.

YMMV

17. cadm8