DJI GO + Latest Firmware Review

Reaction score
Background

I updated the P3, controller, and batteries to the latest firmware yesterday. I also updated the NVIDIA Shield tablet to the Android DJI GO App. Today I took it out for its first run. I really wanted to test everything out first but I had jobs to do; nothing like OJT (on the job testing).

This is by no means a comprehensive review of all of the new features, I don't use most of the features in the app, so this review is just for what I encountered on my first day flying.

The Good

Video Stutter - my NVIDIA Shield stutter problem is finally gone. I can report that at least for me, the stuttering problem is now non-existent. It was very severe previously, even after disabling and uninstalling everything possible from the tablet, updating to the latest Android OS, and putting the tablet in Airplane mode.

Photo/Video Menu - The new photo/video menu is way more intuitive, and the new grid and cross hairs option is awesome. It really helps in lining up the P3 for a video run or full frame architectural pictures. Also, with the cross hairs (and no video lag) I can tell sooner now that the P3 is drifting off course and can correct it.

Gimbal Tilt Speed - The gimbal tilt speed range is now much more granular. I don't remember what the previous scale was but I know I had set the speed to 2 and now it's on 50 after the upgrade so that tells me the granularity greatly increased.

The Bad

Weird Signal Problems - The app completely disconnected from the P3 while it was hovering less than 800 feet away. Also after upgrading the firmware and the app, the app showed a weak transmitter signal when the transmitter was less than 2 feet away. I rebooted the controller and the problem went away, but today in the field the app disconnected completely and with no prior warning. The DJI Pilot app never did that before, so needless to say this is not a minor problem to have. This could be a transmitter firmware issue.

Drifting off course - My P3 has a nasty habit of slowly turning right when I am telling it to fly in a straight line. I had similar problems with the P2. I hide it through micro adjustments to the flight path, but its annoying nonetheless. It seems like it has gotten worse with the new firmware but it could have just been the wind. I could probably tinker with the gain settings until it's fixed but typically fixing it that way introduces problems somewhere else.

Wish List

Camera Tilt - it would be nice if there was a granular readout for the camera's tilt. Currently it has lines that are hard to see when flying, if it had a numerical readout it would be easier to quickly set the camera tilt to a specific degree. This is useful when flying construction sites where you want each video or picture to be the exact same angle as the previous visit.

Custom Buttons Multiple Actions - It would be nice to be able to program multiple settings to the custom buttons. For example; camera tilt, ISO, Shutter Speed, and altitude all sent to the P3 with a single button press.

Live streaming to DJI Lightbridge - This is my #1 wish. When I do events and want to live stream I currently have to stay tethered to the HDMI cable. Letting the P3 link with a Lightbridge receiver would let me live stream untethered up to 3 miles away, and I'm sure this would help DJI sell more Lightbridge units.

Wrap-Up

Not sure if any DJI employees are on these forums (BladeStrike?) but it would be nice if the wish list made it back to the mother ship. And of course that nasty signal bug get fixed ASAP.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. All I have her heard is negative about the firmware update. I also have Nvidia shield did not have stutter problem. In fact I think I will wait a few more days before I update because of the disconnect problem you had.

Thanks for the review. All I have her heard is negative about the firmware update. I also have Nvidia shield did not have stutter problem. In fact I think I will wait a few more days before I update because of the disconnect problem you had.
It will probably be a lot longer than a few more days if they need to release new firmware or a new version of the app. I'm hoping I don't encounter it again because otherwise the new app and firmware is great.

Keep in mind with my exact same equipment and old firmware/app I did 3.5 miles out when I had a clear LOS. Not sure at this point if max range has been affected.

Background

I updated the P3, controller, and batteries to the latest firmware yesterday. I also updated the NVIDIA Shield tablet to the Android DJI GO App. Today I took it out for its first run. I really wanted to test everything out first but I had jobs to do; nothing like OJT (on the job testing).

This is by no means a comprehensive review of all of the new features, I don't use most of the features in the app, so this review is just for what I encountered on my first day flying.

The Good

Video Stutter - my NVIDIA Shield stutter problem is finally gone. I can report that at least for me, the stuttering problem is now non-existent. It was very severe previously, even after disabling and uninstalling everything possible from the tablet, updating to the latest Android OS, and putting the tablet in Airplane mode.

Photo/Video Menu - The new photo/video menu is way more intuitive, and the new grid and cross hairs option is awesome. It really helps in lining up the P3 for a video run or full frame architectural pictures. Also, with the cross hairs (and no video lag) I can tell sooner now that the P3 is drifting off course and can correct it.

Gimbal Tilt Speed - The gimbal tilt speed range is now much more granular. I don't remember what the previous scale was but I know I had set the speed to 2 and now it's on 50 after the upgrade so that tells me the granularity greatly increased.

The Bad

Weird Signal Problems - The app completely disconnected from the P3 while it was hovering less than 800 feet away. Also after upgrading the firmware and the app, the app showed a weak transmitter signal when the transmitter was less than 2 feet away. I rebooted the controller and the problem went away, but today in the field the app disconnected completely and with no prior warning. The DJI Pilot app never did that before, so needless to say this is not a minor problem to have. This could be a transmitter firmware issue.

Drifting off course - My P3 has a nasty habit of slowly turning right when I am telling it to fly in a straight line. I had similar problems with the P2. I hide it through micro adjustments to the flight path, but its annoying nonetheless. It seems like it has gotten worse with the new firmware but it could have just been the wind. I could probably tinker with the gain settings until it's fixed but typically fixing it that way introduces problems somewhere else.

Wish List

Camera Tilt - it would be nice if there was a granular readout for the camera's tilt. Currently it has lines that are hard to see when flying, if it had a numerical readout it would be easier to quickly set the camera tilt to a specific degree. This is useful when flying construction sites where you want each video or picture to be the exact same angle as the previous visit.

Custom Buttons Multiple Actions - It would be nice to be able to program multiple settings to the custom buttons. For example; camera tilt, ISO, Shutter Speed, and altitude all sent to the P3 with a single button press.

Live streaming to DJI Lightbridge - This is my #1 wish. When I do events and want to live stream I currently have to stay tethered to the HDMI cable. Letting the P3 link with a Lightbridge receiver would let me live stream untethered up to 3 miles away, and I'm sure this would help DJI sell more Lightbridge units.

Wrap-Up

Not sure if any DJI employees are on these forums (BladeStrike?) but it would be nice if the wish list made it back to the mother ship. And of course that nasty signal bug get fixed ASAP.
I have also Nvidia Shield and latest FW on my P3A. I still have problem with video quality. First it is perfect, then after 10 min flight, it start to lag.
I think I am going to disable Google sevices updates, let see if it helps. Starnge, if your Shield works with out problem...

I have also Nvidia Shield and latest FW on my P3A. I still have problem with video quality. First it is perfect, then after 10 min flight, it start to lag.
I think I am going to disable Google sevices updates, let see if it helps. Starnge, if your Shield works with out problem...
Make sure you have the latest NVIDIA patches. My lagging problem improved after applying the latest patches but it did not go away until the DJI GO App.

I am having the same controller/app disconnect issues myself. Makes it very important to set your RTH height appropriately each time you're out in the field.

Question: when the app disconnects/reboots/whatever while my bird is in the air, I can't for the life of me get it to reconnect without landing the P3 and rebooting it. I have also lost video this way. Is this your experience too?

Two things...

Firstly, Being a long time RC flyer, the right-turning drift mentioned in the original post is IDENTICAL to what we used to call a trim problem on a conventional RC transmitter; this was easilly adjusted real-time with two tiny switches located next to each stick on the Tx. The P3 Tx does not have these little trim switches.....HOWEVER, it does have controller calibration available in the App. I feel certain that will resolve the problem.

The second thing is a little more far fetched. So, briefly, here it is. After reading about so many disconnects AND so much problems with plastics issues (cracks, and breakage at various points) AND knowing the shell, the controller main box, and the VPS containment (where the USB receptacle is) are made with the same plastics and similar processes, I'm thinking of a possible loosening of the internals that hold the USB terminal. After all, if the connector is a bit lose, you may not have a good signal. Just an idea - and that would be easy to fix at home with minor surgery. I can't personally check for this since I have had no loss of signal or any similar issues and my USB connector area seems solid. Just a hunch.

While it is true that there can be (and are) several reasons for signal loss, that may be one of them. Problems and issues with ANYTHING are rarely because on one solitary root cause.

Reactions: bobmyers
I'm flying a P3A with latest firmware 1.3.2. While everything seems pretty ok, flying at long distance, the screen on my dji pilot (android app 1.2 on samsung galasxy s4) suddendly went all grey in color and say: "disconnected". It happened 3 times in 3 flights. I was flying at about 800mt far away from rc , in a clear spot. I had to use the return to home feature by pressing the button on the rc and the phantom went safely home. I noticed that even having the drone back at my feet, the app was still on a grey color and disconnected state. I wonder if the problem is in the app or in the drone since it happened three times in the last three flights.

I am having the same controller/app disconnect issues myself. Makes it very important to set your RTH height appropriately each time you're out in the field.

Question: when the app disconnects/reboots/whatever while my bird is in the air, I can't for the life of me get it to reconnect without landing the P3 and rebooting it. I have also lost video this way. Is this your experience too?
I have your same problem using the Nvidia Shield tablet and the GO app. It's scary to lose your visual of your copter. I have both the inspire 1 and the Phantom 3 professional both suffer the same issues. I have gone back to using the iOS Apple iPad mini 3 and no issues at all.

Reactions: AlmostTan
I have your same problem using the Nvidia Shield tablet and the GO app. It's scary to lose your visual of your copter. I have both the inspire 1 and the Phantom 3 professional both suffer the same issues. I have gone back to using the iOS Apple iPad mini 3 and no issues at all.

mmmhhhh.... I flew with P2V+ for 18 months without any issues... :mad:
really hope a new android app can fix these bugs, the drone per se seems solid and better than P2V+...

i am using the s6 edge and the ipad mini 3 on the go app with the p3p, i saw this grey screen once while i am flying my drone 1300m away but after 5 seconds every thing return to normal with a strong signal as always and without starting the return home function. but after i tried both the s6 edge and the ipad mini 3 i could tell that android device s6 edge with the 2.0.1 go app is more stable and more fun to use than the ipad mini 3 ... safe fly

Reactions: italiandrone
Two things...

Firstly, Being a long time RC flyer, the right-turning drift mentioned in the original post is IDENTICAL to what we used to call a trim problem on a conventional RC transmitter; this was easilly adjusted real-time with two tiny switches located next to each stick on the Tx. The P3 Tx does not have these little trim switches.....HOWEVER, it does have controller calibration available in the App. I feel certain that will resolve the problem.

The second thing is a little more far fetched. So, briefly, here it is. After reading about so many disconnects AND so much problems with plastics issues (cracks, and breakage at various points) AND knowing the shell, the controller main box, and the VPS containment (where the USB receptacle is) are made with the same plastics and similar processes, I'm thinking of a possible loosening of the internals that hold the USB terminal. After all, if the connector is a bit lose, you may not have a good signal. Just an idea - and that would be easy to fix at home with minor surgery. I can't personally check for this since I have had no loss of signal or any similar issues and my USB connector area seems solid. Just a hunch.

While it is true that there can be (and are) several reasons for signal loss, that may be one of them. Problems and issues with ANYTHING are rarely because on one solitary root cause.

I am a long time RC flyer also and I definitely miss the trim switches on my other RC controllers. I did try the controller calibration but it did not fix it. With my P2 I was able to fix it by fiddling with the gain settings but other problems such as rolling shutter showed up.

Also I know for a fact that the problem is not the USB cable because as I mentioned, this is the exact same hardware I was using with the DJI Pilot app and older firmware. This never happened once until I upgraded the software and then it happened on my very first flight out. Nothing else changed (cables, controller, tablet etc).

No, my display returned within about 5 seconds. I just let it hover and while I was figuring out if the app had crashed or if something else had happened the display suddenly returned to normal. I was not able to test since it happened so quickly but either the transmitter stopped sending the feed to the tablet (I would test by unplugging the USB cable then plugging it back in while the bird is in the air) or the app crashed in some way (I would try restarting the app, not the whole tablet). I tend to think its the app itself since it looks like iPad users do not have this problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlmostTan

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel