dji go app keeps crashing, forced auto land?

Reaction score
I recently got a new p4 (bought used but the seller said that it was only a week old and only flown a few times (never crashed according to him) and had a receipt to prove it) and i use a nexus 9. the dji go app always worked well on my nexus 9 on my p3p. i haven't not flown my p3p in about 3 months but the last time i flew the p3p it worked fine.

Anyway, I took this out today and it started out well but after a few minutes, the dji go app crashed on the tablet. I re-opened it again but it kept crashing again. The app wasn't all that stable because the video on the screen would flicker a lot, etc. It did this on my Nexus 6P phone before when I tried using it month ago so I stopped trying to use that phone with my phantom.

I made sure to explicitly set my home point at the start and I didn't fly far so it was easy to fly the drone back. I also tried using RTH on the remote and that seemed to work as I was able to see the drone turn back towards me and fly towards me.

I turned off RTH on the remote and flew back myself but after a minute or so I noticed that the bird was still descending and it seemed to be descending fairly quickly (well, more quickly that I usually descent when I manually land but I'm also very conservative). I'm not sure if it was descending back home or if it had some type of issue that would cause it to descend right away. The battery was full when started and

I pulled the left stick up and it worked to slow down the descent. I'm not sure if it would ascend but maybe a little bit.

I used the left stick to control the descend and landed safely.

There isn't much of a flight log. I was flying for probably around 5 minutes but the log is only like 30 seconds.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

So what happened here? Is this normal?

1) Anything I can do to get the dji go app to run properly? I suppose I can get an iPad air but I like android much more. I'm pretty sure that I'm on the latest version of the app. All firmware is up to date.

2) Since the app died, do you think that would cause an auto RTH? the light on the RC was green the entire time since the bird wasn't far away though.

3) Is the short answer that the app crashing causes problems?

Any other thoughts? I'm going on a trip tomorrow and I'm not sure if I want to bring this drone as I might be nervous to fly it far away.

Reactions: lone droner
Please upload your TXT fight log here and post a link back here. It'll reveal more than you can see at HealthyDrones.

link is here:

Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

FWIW, I ran another test by using my wife's iPad Air 2 and it worked flawlessly. There were no chopped video images and the app never crashed. I was able to do a decent flight, etc.

One of the reasons why I prefer Android (among a few others) is that I can run apps to record my screen. This is a screen recording of my flight session. I just uploaded it so it won't be available for about 10 min or so.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I cannot see your video above. Your log only shows the first 41 seconds of your flight. A new log is created each time DJI GO is restarted.

It looks like your tablet was low on resources. Try shutting down your screen recorder and anything else that is running before starting DJI GO. You'll likely see better performance in DJI GO at that point. If that works, then maybe try starting up your screen recorder along with DJI GO to see how the performance is when only those apps are running.

As for the landing issue, it sounds like RTH was still active since your Phantom continued to descend as you were trying to ascend. If you're able to track down the correct TXT flight log, it will show you if RTH was still enabled while your Phantom was landing.

unfortunately, the file i uploaded is the only one in the dji go app file system in android.

i did a reboot before starting up dji go to clean out the running apps, etc. i have run the screen recorder and dji go many times before (in fact that's usually what i do every time) but i haven't flown in a few months so maybe the latest app use more resources.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 6.58.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 6.58.32 PM.png
    329.2 KB · Views: 382
Was your flight longer than 41 seconds?

Yes, I can see the video now. Unfortunately, it's missing a lot of important details.

Right. I was particularly interested in seeing the flight log data around the time you landed.

Check out this thread. It sounds like the same thing you're describing.

I had a lot of issues with the Android version. The program crashed nearly every time I used it. I was using it on a Samsung Galaxy Core Prime. In each case the remote control worked fine. I just lost all of the information on the screen.

I broken down and bought an Ipad Mini4 and have not had a problem since. I got the WIFI and cellular version and activated it so the GPS, MAPS, and B4U Fly app would work.

good point. you're probably right.

i had 2 flights today with my wife's ipad 2 and it worked fine. i think i'll just bite the bullet and buy an ipad.

i'm probably going to get an ipad mini 4 even though from my channels, it's slightly more expensive than the ipad 2. i think i just like the size of the ipad mini 4 a little more.

Mako79 can I get that 2.8.4 from you? I'd definitely appreciate it, I need to downgrade as well! But I need it for my iPad

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
I recently got a new p4 (bought used but the seller said that it was only a week old and only flown a few times (never crashed according to him) and had a receipt to prove it) and i use a nexus 9. the dji go app always worked well on my nexus 9 on my p3p. i haven't not flown my p3p in about 3 months but the last time i flew the p3p it worked fine.

Anyway, I took this out today and it started out well but after a few minutes, the dji go app crashed on the tablet. I re-opened it again but it kept crashing again. The app wasn't all that stable because the video on the screen would flicker a lot, etc. It did this on my Nexus 6P phone before when I tried using it month ago so I stopped trying to use that phone with my phantom.

I made sure to explicitly set my home point at the start and I didn't fly far so it was easy to fly the drone back. I also tried using RTH on the remote and that seemed to work as I was able to see the drone turn back towards me and fly towards me.

I turned off RTH on the remote and flew back myself but after a minute or so I noticed that the bird was still descending and it seemed to be descending fairly quickly (well, more quickly that I usually descent when I manually land but I'm also very conservative). I'm not sure if it was descending back home or if it had some type of issue that would cause it to descend right away. The battery was full when started and

I pulled the left stick up and it worked to slow down the descent. I'm not sure if it would ascend but maybe a little bit.

I used the left stick to control the descend and landed safely.

There isn't much of a flight log. I was flying for probably around 5 minutes but the log is only like 30 seconds.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

So what happened here? Is this normal?

1) Anything I can do to get the dji go app to run properly? I suppose I can get an iPad air but I like android much more. I'm pretty sure that I'm on the latest version of the app. All firmware is up to date.

2) Since the app died, do you think that would cause an auto RTH? the light on the RC was green the entire time since the bird wasn't far away though.

3) Is the short answer that the app crashing causes problems?

Any other thoughts? I'm going on a trip tomorrow and I'm not sure if I want to bring this drone as I might be nervous to fly it far away.

yeah i think it's the app. i have had more luck recently by rebooting the ipad mini 4 before flying. i also disconnect and reconnect if it's having problems right before i fly and it seems to help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan