DJI GEO Coming to Your P3 Soon

All of the restricted areas in a persons registered country can be simply added to a database of GPS coords. A very small file can contain hundreds of thousands of locations. Simple, small, and easily modified in each subsequent update.
Thats true. This system is planned to be dynamic including sporting events and TFR locations, so I suppose my speculation about caching the AirMap data in advance (like maps now) would be a logical process once this system has gone live in the GO app.

Reactions: JoBe
Civil and commercial airplanes need permission and need to be in communication with ATC when flying in these areas, so why should these MRs be exempt?
Only in Class B and Class C airspace plus any ADIZ or TFR areas. To the best of my knowledge there is no TFR over any hospital, prison, nuclear power plant or chiropractor's offices. But there is one over Disney parks.

49 USC §40103 - Sovereignty and use of airspace
(a) Sovereignty and Public Right of Transit.—
(1) The United States Government has exclusive sovereignty of airspace of the United States.

Only the FAA may regulate flight.
Only the FAA may create a no-fly-zone.

Thats true. This system is planned to be dynamic including sporting events and TFR locations, so I suppose my speculation about caching the AirMap data in advance (like maps now) would be a logical process once this system has gone live in the GO app.
We already know there's a background service that Go uses to get ninja updates for NFZs. All that is required is that your device is connected to the interwebs long enough to pull the update.

Yikes there are already a bunch of private addresses registered all around me. :(

LOL...I checked Airmap and there are three residences registered as "NFZ". These poeple must be "Super Cocooners"

I am tempted to fly over and see how the craft reacts.

Flying in the neighborhood and over people's homes is what led to this. Those that are going to do it will still do it. Just like the poster above. And I'm sure there will eventually be a hack to get around it too.

Flying in the neighborhood and over people's homes is what led to this. Those that are going to do it will still do it. Just like the poster above. And I'm sure there will eventually be a hack to get around it too.
Actually a hack isn't needed. You just need to file an opt-out along with one piece of personally identifying information and you can then disable the geofence.

The really good thing about this strategy is that everyone is informed about the airspace they are about to fly in. That is a very good thing.

Then if you decide to ignore it at least you know you are breaking the rules. And that you may be reported. Of course there will always be people like me that build MRs from scratch some w/o GPS, so you can always get around these restrictions if you are so inclined. But as I stated this informs new pilots about the airspace system and that is a great thing.

SeveMann, you are right about not all of this airspace requires ATC contact for GA Planes, but a lot of it does. And if I fly VFR over or near an airport I always listen to the unicom freq listed on the sectional. Even if I am flying with ATC flight following, I put that on my second navcom, just like you would with ATIS.

As for what goes into the database for GEO, it is opaque. So far it looks like schools, power stations, etc. and even privately added properties could potentially be included.

The opt out had better be quick and painless. I already adhere fully to FAA guidelines and regulations. I don't need DJI to be my nanny. I obtain the necessary certifications to operate in specific restricted areas as needed. And I don't intend to have my UAS operations controlled by the whim of private landowners who have zero jurisdiction over the airspace.

Most of all, I certainly do not like DJI fundamentally changing the core functionality of their product AFTER I have purchased it. I think it is time for clever and responsible developers to hack the firmware.

Scarier still is what DJI will do with opt out requests or boundary incursions. Are these stored somewhere for later use? How will DJI use / share this information? Only by subpoena? Or can any agency access it? What about FOI?

I have been asking for full disclosure of the data uploaded and stored by DJI to no avail. I really want to take my birds fully offline. They have no right to my usage data. I think it is also time for the EFF to step in. This is getting all big brother very quickly.

Lastly, I think it's fantastic that we have been allowed to discuss this amongst ourselves as P3 owners without the thread being suddenly moved somewhere. Thanks!

If this were to be implemented on other Phantom platforms it would be in General. As it is currently only the P3, it goes here. Common sense really.

Easy fix... Do not update to new firmwares from now on... Unless DJI add something really really cool like bringing the old GS/Waypoint system back like on the P2V+... There is no reason to update ever again.... Keep your device on Airplane mode and turn off automatic updates and never never ever connect your drone to a pc... Problem fixed.
Can we just use old firmware like you said? Will they let us do that?

............... I think it is also time for the EFF to step in. This is getting all big brother very quickly................
An excellent organization that I fully support, both financially and ideologically!!!

We already know there's a background service that Go uses to get ninja updates for NFZs. All that is required is that your device is connected to the interwebs long enough to pull the update.
I have only a WiFi Mini 2. Does that mean I will be required to connect a certain amount of time to get current data before I go out to fly my Phantom Advanced or it won't work?

This is most unwelcome news. Particularly the thought that personal no fly zones are available to the public. I am still not sure how this geofencing system will restrict your entry into these zones. My guess is that if it is similar to other systems, it will simply warn the operator that a no fly zone has been established in that area. However, if it physically cuts your engines that would be a much more difficult pill to swallow.
Horizon Hobby has released a Fixed wing RC plane that you can set a geo fence parameter for, once the plane hits the geofence, it simply changes direction. I would think this would be the same feature DJI will implement for their drones. Allowing the drone to plummet from the sky is not safe or practical.

My buddy is thinking about asking for a Phantom Standard for Christmas. Does this new restriction impact Phantom Standards or only Phantom Advanced and Professional? I looked on the Standard forum and don't see them talking about this new feature

My buddy is thinking about asking for a Phantom Standard for Christmas. Does this new restriction impact Phantom Standards or only Phantom Advanced and Professional? I looked on the Standard forum and don't see them talking about this new feature
Any Phantom 3x, but what makes you say it's a restriction? if anything, it's less of a restriction than blanket "you cant fly here!" NFZs

Horizon Hobby has released a Fixed wing RC plane that you can set a geo fence parameter for, once the plane hits the geofence, it simply changes direction. I would think this would be the same feature DJI will implement for their drones. Allowing the drone to plummet from the sky is not safe or practical.
I believe our drones would just hover at the GEO fence like they do now when they reach a preset limit.

Of course these will be able to be hacked. I own several other quads that use mission planner software. For now that program shows you no fly zones, but does not limit your ability to fly where you want. The key to all this is, people should fly only line of site anyway. But most people with DJI and similar quads fly way beyond legality, at least in the United States. Flying these responsible means keeping safety as the priority and not how high or far someone can go.

Some people will follow the rules and others will not. Such is life.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik