DJI confirms that there is no 2 Axis gimbal planned

Reaction score
Last week I asked DJI if they had a 2 axis gimbal planned for the Phantom 2 Vision. Also I was interested in any suggestions they might have in respect of modifications that might be made using the Vision camera with say a Zenmuse gimbal or the forthcoming new Rotopixel solution.

Unfortunately I had no joy from their reply:

"At this moment DJI does not plan on releasing a modified gimbal for the Vision camera. Any other product would be a third party solution, so proceed at your own caution.

Best regards,

DJI US support
[email protected]"

PS: Has anyone done a modification retaining the Vision camera and somehow attaching it to a Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal? I like the camera and I like the Zenmuse gimbal but a clever way I attaching and balancing would be required. Any suggestions?

Please keep me posted as to any third party solutions here for gimbal etc for P2V

I agree, they REALLY need to come up with a 2 Axis gimbal for the P2V, and make a kit or option to return for an upgrade. A upgrade kit for the inclined would be perfect. I would buy one in a hot second.
Well, after doing some searching I found the Dutch company that is making a 2 axes mount for the P2V, but it is to expensive, the other startup, RotoPixel, has one in development and are taking names for the pre-order list. They are in Canada and expect a $300-$400 price point. It is a plug and play gimbal mount with a custom Vision Camera mount with a 7th channel mod for the remote. The prototype I saw seems to work fine, and it certainly looks great. Will add about 120gr to the UAV's weight, that equates to about a 3 minute loss on flight time. The great thing is you can replace the OEM camera mount with a GoPro mount if you want, and/or use it on another UAV.

For your information there is a company that is now manufacturing and shipping a 2 axis gimbal for the Phantom 2 Vision. They started shipping the 1st of Feb. and are working overtime to manufacture and ship back orders from December. I ordered mine on the 15th of Jan. and it is supposed to be shipped next week. I have seen test footage and it is very impressive. I do commercial work for video clips and presentations so this gimbal is a must for me. I am very unhappy with the video made with the Vision, especially if there is a hint of wind. Everyone complains about the price...I understand if you are flying for just a hobby and getting aerial video to post on your web site or You Tube or Vimeo....but if your are in my pro situation...the gimbal cannot get here fast enough and the price of $600 is a drop in the bucket for what I make on aerial shoots and video. I am a pro photographer retired from over 35+ years in the studio business and do this type of videography to supplement my income. I do pro work and will not settle for anything less for myself and for my clients...that has always been my motto and it will not change for a mere $200 savings. The company is dronexperts.nl so check out their site and test videos and I think you will agree that a $200 savings is not worth the wait for someone to prefect and manufacture a 2 axis gimbal...enough said... either buy and get it or wait an save yourself a few bucks.

Here is what I have received as a status on my own gimbal from dronexpert.nl... my order was confirmed one day before yours, Jan. 14... however I can only fly on weekends so you may well be trying yours out before I get to test drive mine. Please post a status when you get it and let us know how it works out! Here is the latest email I received from them:

"We haven't send any update lately so we thought it was time to send you guys an update today.
As you might know we were a bit overwhelmed by the interest in the gimbal. At the moment we work day and night to make sure everyone will receives there gimbal as soon as possible.
Were catching a bit up with the orders now, manufacturing the gimbals takes its time, and quality goes for quantity so every gimbal is going through some serious tests and is manufactured with greatest care.

To give you an indication of the shipping schedule we have made a table. The table is based on minimum productivity capacity, so the delivery table (we have taken into account a lower production capacity than i reality, so probably the delivery times will be slightly lower than on the table underneath)

Orderdate: Estimated shipping date:
Till 31 december all delivered
Till 1 januari 31-1-14 (tommorow/monday)
orders till 12-1-2014 3 - 7 feb.
orders from 13 to 17 januari 10 - 14 feb
orders from 18 to 23 januari 17 - 21 feb
orders from 24 to 26 januari 24 - 28 feb

In the meantime we have received some great reviews, and lot of nice video footage of customers that are happily received there gimbal.

We will keep you updated, also keep an eye out on our facebook page for newest developments, and on our website for latest status updates.

A huge thanks for your patience, and we will keep on working to make sure you will receive your gimbal as soon as possible!"

That 2d gimbal for the P2V is really awesome and it's too bad DJI cant do it and incorporate it with a newer version because that add on is pretty cost prohibitive. I just got a P2G and it's really nice for video, not so good for stills, but it's a lot cheaper than the P2V with the 2d gimbal upgrade.

Urban Legend - We should receive our gimbals about the same time. I just hope and pray that dronexpert.nl is keeping up with their shipments and manufacturing. I have a couple of shoots coming up that I really need that gimbal for. I am doing a 15 minute presentation on an energy center they are building in my area. It is totally awesome, the systems they are incorporating in the design and implementation of this building. From water systems (fresh, brown and grey) to wind turbines, solar power, tube lighting from the roof, geothermal wells for heating and air. It will be a fun project and the client is high end and expects the best. I have done some test footage they liked, but it was calm that day. Did several fly overs of the roof and around the complex. They are acquiring start up bio green companies for their tenants....so the video must be perfect! Ship my gimbal, now!

Rotopixel have now opened their site for orders for their 2 axis gimbal for the p2v. Looks great.

Price CAD$389 plus postage. Might take a while before they ship orders but hopefully it will be worth the wait.

I've ordered mine!

Thanks for the post Ewee.....I've ordered one also. It's the perfect fix for the P2V and at the right price!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl