DJI Aeroscope aproduct that provides people with your private information

I'm talking about driving a car - I'm talking about flying an aircraft vs. piloting a drone.
Everyone knows the ID or transponder code of the aircraft but they do not have access to the individuals private information or in internal telemetry of the aircraft.
If we apply this situation for manned aviation, it would be like Boeing releasing a box that can intercept all telemetry from an airliner and provide the pilot's contact info , what movie they are currently watching, a live feed from the aircrafts cameras as well as an override to take control of the aircraft remotely.

Well, it is not the same really because no one agreed to this for the first part...
No one asked me if I would be comfortable with others knowing my private contact information.
Also, I do not have to accept it, this system did not exist or was no publically known when I purchased my product, nor is it a legal standpoint that this system should be in operation unlike radar in full-sized aviation.
I object to DJI essentially selling anyone information that is in the vicinity of this device.

DJI is not selling your information - they are selling a product that can track your drone and detect your contact email address if you registered one. There will likely be other products from other manufacturers that will be able to do the same thing - and you will not have agreed to anything with them. If you originally thought that you would have anonymity and don't like losing it then change or delete your registered email address.

And you are quite correct - you do not have to accept it. No one is forcing you to fly a UAV.

Everyone knows the ID or transponder code of the aircraft but they do not have access to the individuals private information or in internal telemetry of the aircraft.
If we apply this situation for manned aviation, it would be like Boeing releasing a box that can intercept all telemetry from an airliner and provide the pilot's contact info , what movie they are currently watching, a live feed from the aircrafts cameras as well as an override to take control of the aircraft remotely.

The track history is available from radar, plus telemetry if the aircraft is using ADS-B.

Anyway - now that you have fully immersed yourself in fantasy land with silly comments about movies and overrides I'm going to leave you to rant undistracted by attempts at reasoned discussion.

DJI is not selling your information - they are selling a product that can track your drone and detect your contact email address if you registered one. There will likely be other products from other manufacturers that will be able to do the same thing - and you will not have agreed to anything with them. If you originally thought that you would have anonymity and don't like losing it then change or delete your registered email address.

And you are quite correct - you do not have to accept it. No one is forcing you to fly a UAV.
no one can build one because they do not know the encryption keys DJI uses and selling a product with the cracked encryption keys would be illegal to anyone but the manufacturer.

The track history is available from radar, plus telemetry if the aircraft is using ADS-B.

Anyway - now that you have fully immersed yourself in fantasy land with silly comments about movies and overrides I'm going to leave you to rant undistracted by attempts at reasoned discussion.

So you state what I already said that they can only access passive information such as location history provided they can detect the aircraft with their radar and the aircraft id from the transponder.
Then you state if the aircraft has a transmission system configured to voluntarily provide telemetry they can access that(as if this is relevant to the argument somehow???).

Then you run away after throwing an insult....
Do you not see how what you have said is irrelevant to the argument?
If I disabled encryption on my device so anyone could see its data, I would not complain when someone builds a device to pick up that data.
If I encrypt communications on my device, I would be very unhappy if the company that provided they encryption started selling at a premium price a product to crack their own encryption.

Personal info???
Manned aircraft registration is not the same as say a car license plate. Anyone can look up the squawked ‘N’ number and find lots of personal info on the owner be it a Corp. or individual.

That’s how I know mine is unused.

LOL seriously? Have you heard of a GPS/Navigation system? A band of bank robbers were recently captured here in my area because their car had a Navigation system in it. By gathering the data they from it they were able to know where they were living, tie them to each bank robbery, and even get some locations they had no idea this gang was part of. Technology is a wonderful thing unless you're doing something wrong.

You'd be hard pressed to buy any vehicle made in the last few years that doesn't have an extensive GPS tracking system built right in.
Right but I think the difference there was they had to get a warrant to get that information. Right now this tool seems as though it doesn't require a warrant, though again in court that may end up not holding up because of that fact. Just food for thought. At the end of the day, if this tool is only available to police (let's be honest, it will find its way elsewhere) and they only use it when they have a warrant to do so, it doesn't bother me in the least.

Reactions: BigAl07
Right but I think the difference there was they had to get a warrant to get that information. Right now this tool seems as though it doesn't require a warrant, though again in court that may end up not holding up because of that fact. Just food for thought. At the end of the day, if this tool is only available to police (let's be honest, it will find its way elsewhere) and they only use it when they have a warrant to do so, it doesn't bother me in the least.
the problem is that should they get a warrant to "spy" on one person they will also be able to "spy" on anyone else within range.

explain how they have access to our emails and flight history from before connecting?
How about:
... they don't have access to your emails - just your DJI registered email address
... they don't have access to your flight history for the current flight.

These sets aren't going to be everywhere and except for sensitive locations such as airports, they aren't likely to be switched on all the time.
And they will just work for a small local area around the set.
How do you see it affecting you and your flying?

@JaredReabow If you don't like what DJI is doing sell all of your DJI stuff and build your own or have someone build it for you. Even that loophole is temporary because at some point they will require a certain level of "Comms" from our UAS if operating in the vicinity of controlled airspace.

How about:
... they don't have access to your emails - just your DJI registered email address
... they don't have access to your flight history for the current flight.

These sets aren't going to be everywhere and except for sensitive locations such as airports, they aren't likely to be switched on all the time.
And they will just work for a small local area around the set.
the video claims they do have flight history and as for the email, what is your point?
I already registered my aircraft with my personal email, i had no idea it would be broadcast to anyone with the box....

@JaredReabow If you don't like what DJI is doing sell all of your DJI stuff and build your own or have someone build it for you. Even that loophole is temporary because at some point they will require a certain level of "Comms" from our UAS if operating in the vicinity of controlled airspace.
Well you see I do build my own but the sad fact is that no one makes a contender for the phantom line worth purchasing.

the video claims they do have flight history
The video explains that they get details of the flight being observed.
What's the problem with that?
as for the email, what is your point?
I already registered my aircraft with my personal email, i had no idea it would be broadcast to anyone with the box....
Your email would be shown to anyone that happens to buy an Aeroscope system (that's not going to be cheap) and happens to be using in within range of you when you are flying.
I'd be surprised if my drones ever get within range of an active Aeroscope system.
How often would you expect to be flying somewhere that Aeroscope is likely to be deployed?

And ... what is your point?
You're keen to tell us this is bad, but still haven't explained how?
So I'll ask again...

I assume regulations implemented in different countries and jurisdictions will be different, therefore broadcasted drone identification content will vary to match local expectations.

On my views end customer should have visibility about what kind of information is broadcast, see it and possibly customize some. I.e with drone racers the callsign identification is required to be setup by end user if emitting at higher power.

It's a little amusing how the same community that complains about uneducated neighbors and laypeople complaining about perceived invasions of privacy during their flights is now complaining that their privacy is being violated by giving authorities the ability to identify who is flying a UAS with basic telemetry info. I'm pretty sure these systems will be inaccessible to most individuals and if a neighbor did happen to gain the ability to get my email address from my SUAS (which has my phone number on it in case it ever gets lost) I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Giving authorities the ability to track down an irresponsible UAS pilot is actually a positive step for the community overall.

Frankly I dislike a chinese company telling me anything. Like prohibiting where I fly based on their
feelings. I live next to a small hospital which has a helicopter pad so DJI stops me from flying even
thou life flight only comes once a day. Most things have both a good and bad side to their use but
I prefer to be the one that makes that choice. It is a matter of slippery slope for our rights here in
the US. Probable Cause is supposed to be a good this for our safety but try watching PD Live on
tv for three hours and you may have second thoughts. Every move like this take a small bit out
of your right to privacy.

With regard to being same as a aircraft transponder, unless things have changed in the last twenty
years, a transponder Does Not send any info about the pilot but only the aircraft. This unit is giving
away my private email address and believe me I have enough spam already.

Reactions: F3honda4me
Frankly I dislike a chinese company telling me anything. Like prohibiting where I fly based on their
feelings. I live next to a small hospital which has a helicopter pad so DJI stops me from flying even
thou life flight only comes once a day. Most things have both a good and bad side to their use but
I prefer to be the one that makes that choice. It is a matter of slippery slope for our rights here in
the US. Probable Cause is supposed to be a good this for our safety but try watching PD Live on
tv for three hours and you may have second thoughts. Every move like this take a small bit out
of your right to privacy.

With regard to being same as a aircraft transponder, unless things have changed in the last twenty
years, a transponder Does Not send any info about the pilot but only the aircraft. This unit is giving
away my private email address and believe me I have enough spam already.

An aircraft transponder identifies the aircraft, and with that information, using publicly available databases, the pilot, including much more information than just an email address.

As for the Chinese company telling you what to do the solution is very simple - if you don't like their product restrictions then don't buy their products.

Reactions: shane05
I can go up in a private plane or helicopter and no need for a transponder to provide data on my position. Curious that this "feature" is being provided for the tiny DJI drones. More and more we are coming to resemble China and Saudi Arabia with big brother monitoring our emails and phone calls and purchases (and this has led to early morning raids by SWAT teams breaking down the front doors and throwing flash grenades inside the rooms and in one case into the crib of a baby badly injuring the child).

I am frankly amazed that people accept ever increasing loss of privacy and basic rights in this country. We have lost the right to free speech and peaceful assembly and due process of law and even the right to a trial before being killed by our government. How far does it have to go before people wake up?

Reactions: F3honda4me

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z