Distance test

I went 4.5 miles out. Directly over a major metropolis , was in 5.8Ghz the whole time. But I had to go up 1000ft to do so.
Auto in 5.8Ghz is the bomb! Thanks again for sharing that important setting tip! :cool: Are all your friends using iOS, as well?

remember rth is a 20 meter circle, so it can still land in water if you are close enough to it at launch.
Really?
How many RTH landings have you heard of that were more than a couple of metres off the launch point?
Most would be within 2 metres which is normal precision for consumer GPS, occasionally they may be slightly further away but not 20 metres.

Plus the P4pro has an additional trick up its sleeve.
At takeoff, the Phantom 4 Pro will record the scene below and compare its recording with what it sees as it returns, for more precise landing.

For more precise, think inches rather than feet or metres.

I'd say my friends are split Android and iOS 50/50.
The range on this thing is incredible. It is worth the upgrade from the P4 just for that alone. DJI literally just gave a death knoll to the aftermarket antenna market.

Auto in 5.8Ghz is the bomb! Thanks again for sharing that important setting tip! :cool: Are all your friends using iOS, as well?

I was able to get 4 miles while still having 1 bar of video signal left.
I love it.
There are always noisy complainst when DJI bring out a new product and not all of them have a factual basis.
You still see posts complaining that DJI specs exaggerate the Phantom's range despite plenty of evidence of people flying further.
21167 feet (6.45 km) with an altitude of only 56 feet and still having control looks like a pretty good indication that the P4pro can achieve the spec distances.
The P4p won't achieve these distances everywhere and every time but it is capable of it in the right conditions.
DJI don't make up the numbers - they are real.

I've seen some distance test on youtube but they were over water which made me nervous. Furthest one of those I saw was 3 miles.

Since I have a Jeep I drove it out to a highly deserted section of the Texas coast and I was able to get 4 miles while still having 1 bar of video signal left. Using an iPad I couldn't record the display but I was able to get a screenshot. For a first drone this sucker is pretty nice.

oG8qkDL.jpg
Wow! This is great man! Were you in Sport mode most of the way? I live in a hilly area and don't get this far especially in town. But is 5.8 and Auto the way to go on Image Transmission?

Wow! This is great man! Were you in Sport mode most of the way? I live in a hilly area and don't get this far especially in town. But is 5.8 and Auto the way to go on Image Transmission?
In highly urban areas, Auto in 5.8Ghz is the way to go for me, and Aaron Winters, and many others! Give it a try. It will make believer out of you, too!:cool:

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I'd say my friends are split Android and iOS 50/50.
The range on this thing is incredible. It is worth the upgrade from the P4 just for that alone. DJI literally just gave a death knoll to the aftermarket antenna market.
I got the same range with the P4P+ last night, using the same settings, so the Auto 5.8Ghz settings also work for me on Android! Now I just need a battery mod to support the range! Are you or any of your friends experiencing the 45° camera flip on hard left banking turns or counter-clockwise orbits? All three of my P4P aircraft exhibit this behavior to some degree, some more easily than others.

I haven't had any camera banking flips or anything like that. Nonetheless, hopefully there will be a firmware update in the next week or 2.

I got the same range with the P4P+ last night, using the same settings, so the Auto 5.8Ghz settings also work for me on Android! Now I just need a battery mod to support the range! Are you or any of your friends experiencing the 45° camera flip on hard left banking turns or counter-clockwise orbits? All three of my P4P aircraft exhibit this behavior to some degree, some more easily than others.

Dang your having that on 3 birds? Wow! Hopefully new update for a few little tweaks for sure.

Make sure you tell DJI: [email protected] about that behavior.

I haven't had any camera banking flips or anything like that. Nonetheless, hopefully there will be a firmware update in the next week or 2.
Good to hear. I'll test for that immediately on any replacement. I fear this is not a firmware fixable issue, but I have time to see. If it were fixable in firmware, I suspect it would be much more common. My aircraft were all from the same B&H stock and might have been from the same assembler who was sloppy with the gimbal ribbon cables, or tolerances.

Dang your having that on 3 birds? Wow! Hopefully new update for a few little tweaks for sure.
I fear these are defective gimbals which no firmware can fix, unless the firmware can prevent the aircraft from tipping so much that the gimbal cannot compensate, and just gives up. We'll see. I hope it is firmware fixable.

No sport as I wanted gps insurance if I should lose connection. Even on the way back I left it in P. But I was aware of Sport if I saw my speed dropping I was prepped to switch, raise altitude, and go full power.

Thankfully the wind played along.

It's most unlikely he used Sport Mode.
It eats battery much faster than P-GPS.
Try it yourself sometime, engage sport mode and zoom but watch your fuel gauge dive.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga