Distance shorter then altitude

Reaction score
Hi all,

did some flying today, took off with home position locked, altitude and distance both 0.0, but later on as I was flying I noticed that my distance was 142 meter and my altitude 246 meter. I was a bit puzzled; how can this be...? I did not switch S2 to reset home position. Also, here in holland we live pretty much at sea level, should that be of influence, although I do think the altitude is measured from take off point. Had 9-10 satellites the whole flight. Did switch between GPS & ATTI mode a few times.

Easy explanation..?

Are you saying those distances were when the drone was near you?

Not a line. To test this in your mind go straight up about 200'. Will show your distance at just a few feet.

Distance is horizontal. Elevation is vertical distance.

Wally said:
I thought distance was a line from me to the Phantom. So diagonal, and therefor always longer the the altitude. I have a feeling now that it is in fact a horizontal line to a point underneath the bird, right?

Distance is not the diagonal distance from home point to the bird. It is the horizontal component as you described. And altitude is the vertical component. The diagonal length is not shown anywhere. All are measured from the home point as I think you already now.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl