Diminished video quality

Reaction score
Doesn't matter which editor I use , my video quality is terrible . The video looks really great on my pc but once I import it to the editor it's brutal .

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Doesn't matter which editor I use , my video quality is terrible . The video looks really great on my pc but once I import it to the editor it's brutal .

Well ... there are A LOT of possible issues.. lets start with some foundation.
What settings was it recorded at 4K , HD , UHD, 30,60 or 120 frames / sec?
What amounts of CPU and memory do you have on your PC that you are doing editing on?
What Editing tools are you using?

I work with minimal resources mostly successfully and still have issues at times ... But maybe some of my experiences may help ya.

Main thing is I know my limits now, at first I was like this post editing thing is torture. .. .lol

As Ron Davis said, there are a lot of possibilities. One that comes to mind would be that the Video editor may automatically switch to a half or even quarter resolution if the computer does not have enough horsepower to render a 100% resolution. You would be amazed at how much power is needed for a good video editor to render in real time 2.7 or 4K compressed video footage. Often the video card is not up to the task.

You may be watching your timeline in your editor. This view is rezzed way down for you to edit by. When you export your vid with correct settings then your vid should be good! So basically your not seeing the full resolution of your file.

1) Mediainfo tool from sourceforget.net to display file characteritics
2) put some short sample on a server available for download so someone can grab it and confirm useability

Assuming your PC has enough power to handle HD . Cyberlink does recommend;
Full-HD video editing and export: Intel Corei5/7 or AMD Phenom II X4 (Recommended).

If you can provide a sample file as suggested we can confirm it's quality and then logically more to investigate on PC/Editor side

Googled this;

Why is the video preview quality not as good when previewing my project on the timeline in CyberLink PowerDirector?

When you preview video on the timeline, and you find the preview quality is not as good as when you preview it in the library, please try the following:

Select higher preview resolution
The default resolution is set to High Preview Resolution. If you have PowerDirector 64-bit version, you can select Full HD Preview Resolution for better preview quality.

Disable shadow files
If shadow files are enabled, the program creates mpeg-2 cache files, and the preview quality is downgraded to free up memory for editing. You can disable this function by deselecting the checkbox in Preference > General > Enable HD video processing (shadow file). If shadow files already generated, you can remove shadow files by going to Preference > General > Manual Delete and delete all the temp files.

Note: The preview quality and editing performance is a trade-off. Please note that preview quality won't impact the output result.

I do not shoot in 4K. My current experience is that 2.7K is a great balance since I can do some re framing and horizon leveling and export to 1080P without any loss of quality. 4K files are huge. with 2.7K I rarely hit the 4gb wall. That being said, I currently have Power Director 13 and 14 on my machine and I sparked up PD 13 and put a Dlog 2.7 clip on the time line. With the Preview quality set on Full HD Preview resolution,(the little box between the frame grab camera and speaker icon near the shuttle controls) I only detect some slight noise. in the preview window. However, if I selected "High Preview" it looked bad. This control only affects the preview quality, the render quality is unaffected by this control.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West