Descent wobble

Reaction score
Is it normal for the P4P to descend full stick down and wobble on the way down? My MP2 doesn’t do that. But I also noticed the spark doing it.

I'm not sure about the P4 but many sUAS have a "wobble" on decent.

Is it normal for the P4P to descend full stick down and wobble on the way down? My MP2 doesn’t do that. But I also noticed the spark doing it.
Yip me p4s has decent wobble on coming down,it can get very out of control if I decend fast so no hard down on stick for me unless it's a emergency shut down,,same for me with vps on or off,,,like you metion I'm sure this never used to happen,,with gimble guard it's worse,,it's making me look at a mavic ,

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I think it's the UPward air flow on a fast descent and hitting the 4 engine pods on the Phantom drone twisting it around.....Great info ianzone same thing for me too !

It's almost certainly a mild case of VRS causing unsteady lift. It should go away if you add some lateral motion during descent.

^^^^^ Bingo

It's worse in older models of MultiRotors. The software limits the amount of descent in order to help prevent VRS which can lead to a crash. From the P3's forward you don't have to worry (at least in my experience) about going into a full on VRS.

As stated above lateral motion pretty much solves this problem. Land it like it's an airplane coming in for a landing and you'll never notice the slightest wobble what so ever and it looks pretty cool... almost like you know what you're doing LOL.

I thought maybe the new quiet props made for the wobble. I notice it but it's not like the AC is out of control.

Faster you decend greater the wobble. True with P4 pro MMP and MP2.

So far gimbals are rock solid during wobble.

Paul C

It's pure physics or aerodynamic issue and it has nothing to do with the phantom ability to fly. Quick descending object makes vortices of air around itself which produce wobbling.
That's why the speed of descent is limited to 3m/s while ascent speed is 5m/s.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT