Descent question

Reaction score
With the new app upgrade with slowed descent I thought of a curious question, if one pulls left stick all the way down while descending, will motors shut down? How does aircraft know since this is same command for shutting down motors when landed on ground?

tedw123 said:
How does aircraft know since this is same command for shutting down motors when landed on ground?
If it sees that it's not dropping altitude (after 5 seconds of you pulling down on the stick) it knows it must be on the ground.

Farside said:
tedw123 said:
How does aircraft know since this is same command for shutting down motors when landed on ground?
If it sees that it's not dropping altitude (after 5 seconds of you pulling down on the stick) it knows it must be on the ground.

Thanks, although that seems like an accident waiting to happen if the aircraft thinks it's on the ground or software glitch! Seems like DJI would create something like when you start the motors.

It's all in the NAZA-M manual peeps. Unfortunately DJI doesn't place a link to it in the download sections of the P2 models. Everyone should grab it from one of the P1 models download sections and read it from beginning to end and back.

http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... .26_en.pdf

On page 10 about the intelligent mode to stop motors in which almost everyone will be flying:

(1) If you choose the Intelligent mode, and the throttle stick is under 10%, this will trigger the landing Procedure, in any control mode. In this judgment, pitch, roll and yaw controls are denied except the throttle, but multi-rotor will still auto level.

So the Phantom will enter Autoland Mode when you pull the throttle all the way down in flight. I experienced it once when I was descending fast when flying at max horizontal speed and so no risk of VRS. I allowed myself to pull hard on the throttle and suddenly it stopped its horizontal motion and started to descend vertically while I was still giving full right stick. I then remembered this feature.

It should actually be a way to avoid VRS by descending too fast as the Autoland descent speed will be safe. People could deliberately use it to this end.

Big Ben said:
It's all in the NAZA-M manual peeps. Unfortunately DJI doesn't place a link to it in the download sections of the P2 models. Everyone should grab it from one of the P1 models download sections and read it from beginning to end and back.

http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... .26_en.pdf

On page 10 about the intelligent mode to stop motors in which almost everyone will be flying:

(1) If you choose the Intelligent mode, and the throttle stick is under 10%, this will trigger the landing Procedure, in any control mode. In this judgment, pitch, roll and yaw controls are denied except the throttle, but multi-rotor will still auto level.

So the Phantom will enter Autoland Mode when you pull the throttle all the way down in flight. I experienced it once when I was descending fast when flying at max horizontal speed and so no risk of VRS. I allowed myself to pull hard on the throttle and suddenly it stopped its horizontal motion and started to descend vertically while I was still giving full right stick. I then remembered this feature.

It should actually be a way to avoid VRS by descending too fast as the Autoland descent speed will be safe. People could deliberately use it to this end.

I'm not flying in Naza mode, Phantom mode currently.

Doesn't really matter all that much since the NAZA is always the flight controller in charge which means most of what is in that manual is relevant in Phantom Mode. Only a few things are different (LED signals) or disabled (IOC) in Phantom Mode.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl