Desactivate the NO FLY ZONE?

Stephcout said:
Hi Everyone,

i am a Photographer mainly as a hobby (http://www.stephanecouture.com) and i have been looking at the DJI quads for a while now for photography, my situation is simple i am about 5 miles from the a Major airport and i am wondering if it possible to desactivate the NO FlY ZONE if i want to fly close to my house?

Any imput on this would be well appreciated, thank you.

Stephane
http://www.stephanecouture.com

I just thought of an "easy" way to temporarily do this. Just open up the shell, and disconnect the GPS plug. If the system knows nothing of its location, there can be no airport restrictions. You would of course have to be proficient in atti mode flying as that is all you would have.

BlackTracer said:
I just thought of an "easy" way to temporarily do this. Just open up the shell, and disconnect the GPS plug. If the system knows nothing of its location, there can be no airport restrictions. You would of course have to be proficient in atti mode flying as that is all you would have.
Only problem with that is, the motors will not start if the GPS is unplugged.

DCGOO said:
BlackTracer said:
Only problem with that is, the motors will not start if the GPS is unplugged.

Well crap. So much for my not-so-bright idea. Well then hows about shielding the GPS on its top side, a la opposite side from the shielding mod. That way it won't get any sats perhaps, hence no position, etc. But motors will still start?

Heck even a small shield on the outside of the shell might work.

Well i dicided to get it about 4 weeks ago and i am absolutly loving it, the No Fly Zone warning comes on my iphone everytime the GPS locks-in but i am far enough from the airport that it's no really a problem for what i am doing so far.

Here are a few images i took with it in the last few weeks, nothing incredible but i am leaning a lot about the advantage and limitation of this little flying camera ;-) i really love flying it and i had no problems at all with 50+ flight, on the other end i am really missing the quality of my ground camera (Sony A7R currently),

http://www.stephanecouture.com/allgalleries
http://www.stephanecouture.com

Thank you everyone for the replys it's well appreciated.

p50041475-6.jpg

p971259572-6.jpg

p232197487-6.jpg

p186593600-6.jpg

p564884553-6.jpg

p434311145-6.jpg

One thing I've been wondering about the no fly zones, and which I have not yet received an answer from DJI on is this: Can you fly below the floor of a no fly zone, or does it extend to the centre of the Earth? The no-fly zone for Ottawa International Airport includes on the of the lockstations on the Rideau Canal. The lockstation is quite a bit below the airport (probably 100'). What I want to know is will it fly say 50' AGL at the lockstation?

Very easy to do.

Step one: Download the DJI Assistant software version 1.08 and open the program.

Step two: Connect your P2V+ to your computer

Step three: Update the firmware (disregard the warnings that there is a newer version).

Step four (optional): Perform IMU calibration, perform compass calibration.

Before you ask, download from here: The DroneSlinger..

Happy flying, but watch out for our big brothers around that airport, will ya?
I tried this and it does not work.

Yeah, dude.. This post is two years old. Did you try this on a p2v+? I think the later apps and firmwares prevent downgrades. My P2V+ still had 1.08 when a compass failure sent it into a forest. Good luck

Hi Everyone,

i am a Photographer mainly as a hobby (Stéphane Couture photography) and i have been looking at the DJI quads for a while now for photography, my situation is simple i am about 5 miles from the a Major airport and i am wondering if it possible to desactivate the NO FlY ZONE if i want to fly close to my house?

Any imput on this would be well appreciated, thank you.

Stephane
Stéphane Couture photography
Two things. No it's a crime. You are in a form of controlled airspace. And you can not use your drone for hire unless you're a licensed pilot. You really shouldn't be thinking that way. There is zero room in aviation for people who don't follow the rules to the letter

I can't see that being told what I can and can't do with a piece of equipment that I've purchased is a good idea, under any circumstance.

Would you be willing to buy a car that automatically limited speed to the published maximum speed limits on any roads? I wouldn't.

Would you be willing to buy an Internet connection that automatically limited you to only visiting sites that someone else had deemed were appropriate for supposedly others' safety? I wouldn't.

The same logic applies here. If I own the product, then I have a right to use it when and where I please. If people use it inappropriately, then fine - come after them with everything the law allows, throw the book at 'em, charge 'em, convict 'em, and punish 'em if necessary. But all people should not be given a gimped tool just because one or two may act stupidly.

What's next - placing functions to limit the types of pictures one can take because someone might want to try and violate someone else's privacy? Building in logic to allow authorities (and private citizens) to place some sort of beacons out to prevent flight in areas that arbitrarily and capriciously chosen as "no fly zones"? (That's essentially what DJI did, after all.)

Forcing people to use older versions of firmware which were technically not designed for the specific product is not the answer, either. Advocating this as a solution is essentially supporting a dangerous action, putting the public and owners at risk of being exposed to whatever bugs were present in those versions (which may have been addressed in current versions of the software).

Users have a right to fully use the equipment they purchased without artificial restrictions placed by manufacturers. If DJI doesn't address this, hopefully someone else will - either through hacking their firmware and putting an option in there, or offering an alternative firmware that compatible with the P2V+.
Stay out of the sky jackass.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl