Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Sign up for a weekly email of the latest drone news & information

Delta Flight in close call with Drone outside JFK

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sammynels, Jul 31, 2015.

  1. Sammynels

    Joined:
    May 19, 2015
    Messages:
    583
    Likes Received:
    231
    Location:
    MA
    All the local TV channels, especially NBC-NY were all over a story tonight about a JetBlue and then a Delta Flight that called in a near drone encounter "100 feet below my right wing" on approach to JFK while passing over the mostly inactive airport Floyd Bennett Field in south Queens near the Rockaways.

    I know the field, runways and old hangers are used by:
    1) the NYPD Air Bureau for their police helicopters
    2) Highway Patrol uses the old runways for motorcycle training
    3) FDNY uses the runways to teach EVOC- emergency Vehicle Obstacle Course- for it's ambulance drivers
    4) there used to be at least 2 Blimps parked that used that for staging before flying over events like the US Open
    5) there is a designated runway for RC Airplanes with bleachers and a clubhouse and I imagine quad copters use that area too.

    This drone was at ~1400 ft which made them scramble the police choppers looking for the owner. No word yet if they caught anyone. The videos of a drone they showed as filler in the piece were not not a DJI copter. They did show footage and audio from inside an air traffic tower where the planes landing after the one who first reported it were being warned of drone activity on approach.

    This is exactly what's going to ruin it for the rest of us. I still haven't gone higher than 250-280 feet. I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would want to go to 1400 feet. Seems pointless.
    Here's the story...

    http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...y-Hits-Unmanned-Aircraft-Drone-320331571.html
     
  2. LordEvil

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2014
    Messages:
    243
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    San Antonio Texas
    ABC showed a Phantom copter. They said it was at 1700 feet over a vacant airfield close to the airport.
     
  3. Sammynels

    Joined:
    May 19, 2015
    Messages:
    583
    Likes Received:
    231
    Location:
    MA
    That would be Floyd Bennett Field.
    Google Earth Coordinates are
    Lat 40°35'24.01"N
    Long 73°53'27.50"W
    It's 6.8 miles from the center point of JFK.
    DJI has 5 mile radius no fly zone and from that perimeter the no fly goes up & out at 15 degrees to account for approaching aircraft

     
    #3 Sammynels, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2015
  4. grrquadman

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2015
    Messages:
    145
    Likes Received:
    40
    I just had a conversation with my brother about this same story. I directed him to the DJI "Fly Safe" site, had him see how DJI has the "no fly" zones around airports and how our Phantom 3 aircraft are disabled in these zones.
    -
    Hey, at least DJI is attempting to keep us alive here...
     
  5. RoyVa

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2015
    Messages:
    2,246
    Likes Received:
    449
    Location:
    Virginia
    There is that 10% again that want to blow it for the other 90%.
     
  6. grrquadman

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2015
    Messages:
    145
    Likes Received:
    40
    +1
    -
    Getting tired of all the bad press.
    -
    One of the 90% - - -
     
  7. Chris Vedeler

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2015
    Messages:
    310
    Likes Received:
    196
    Location:
    Scottsdale, Arizona USA
    I hate to hear this kind of thing. People are idiots! There is no point in flying a drone that high. I think the 400 feet off the ground rule is perfectly reasonable.

    This person is going to ruin the hobby for the rest of us.