Dedicated P4P Range and Distance discussion

8.3km range with 2.4GHz with stock P4P, no problem - battery left more than 12%.
In the right environment, I'm sure that could be possible. In a highly urban areas, under FCC, I can only get that kind of performance using Auto 5.8Ghz. The wonderful thing about the P4P, is that both bands are available completely stock. One other factor to be aware of is the flip of power under CE v. FCC. Under CE, the 2.4Ghz band is more powerful relative to the 5.8Ghz band, but still less powerful than 5.8Ghz under FCC. Under FCC, Auto 5.8Ghz is still consistently the best for range in hightly urban areas. Either way, if you are getting the control range you need, carry on! :cool:

My longest flight was 4 miles out and just under 45k feet round trip. Stock equipment, 2.4 Ghz for the entire trip.

efeac15479393a08af691345ef14392e.jpg

76c52f47061182ecb14b3bbf9322e44b.jpg

I haven't tried it locked into 5.8Ghz yet. I'm going to do that at the location where I did the 4 mile flight. It will be with a new P4P though. My other one drowned.

My longest flight was 4 miles out and just under 45k feet round trip. Stock equipment, 2.4 Ghz for the entire trip.

efeac15479393a08af691345ef14392e.jpg

76c52f47061182ecb14b3bbf9322e44b.jpg
A height of 736 feet over water will sustain almost any distance. My 5 mile urban area flights are at under 200 feet using Auto 5.8 Ghz. Flight log reports highest height is 185 feet during the entire flight. Try Auto 5.8Ghz! :cool:

Hello

P4P / 36820ft ( roundtrip) had to turn around to avoid missing power , returned to Home Point with 22% batt , landed at 18% remaining batt.
I have more tests coming with my new antennas , so far 37000ft no loss of signal , using the FPLVR Booster .

Hello

P4P / 36820ft ( roundtrip) had to turn around to avoid missing power , returned to Home Point with 22% batt , landed at 18% remaining batt.
I have more tests coming with my new antennas , so far 37000ft no loss of signal , using the FPLVR Booster .

It appears you meant 36,820 feet as the one way distance, during a roundtrip flight, unless I am misunderstanding. You must also have a battery mod to support the FPVLR antenna, over that distance, for the return flight. What external batteries are you using? Otherwise, what speed are you flying at to get 73,640 feet round trip on a single P4P battery? Most I can get out of one battery to 10% is 60,000 feet, flying at a consistent 30mph, using OA to restrict the speed.

Last edited:
It appears you meant 36,820 feet as the one way distance, during a roundtrip flight, unless I am misunderstanding. You must also have a battery mod to support the FPVLR antenna, over that distance, for the return flight. What external batteries are you using? Otherwise, what speed are you flying at to get 73,640 feet round trip on a single P4P battery? Most I can get out of one battery to 10% is 60,000 feet, flying at a consistent 30mph, using OA to restrict the speed.
Actually no , i meant what i wrote , i am supposed to be able to triple that distance , but i am still on stock batt so i can’t do much more than this but i will do some testings because i always turn around when my battery is running low .

Actually no , i meant what i wrote , i am supposed to be able to triple that distance , but i am still on stock batt so i can’t do much more than this but i will do some testings because i always turn around when my battery is running low .
Thanks for clarifying with a different screenshot! I am getting 30,000 feet away fully stock, using Auto 5.8Ghz, at 200 feet, and only turning around because of the P4P battery. I need a battery mod before I can even fully test the limits of the basic stock setup, using only a $20 windsurfer, with Auto 5.8Ghz. I have an amped FPVLR setup for both my P4's and my P3P's, but without a battery mod on the P4P, it would be overkill, and adding a great deal of extra weight and complexity to the equation that I am happy to eliminate!:cool:

Reactions: Onemanshow
Thanks for clarifying with a different screenshot! I am getting 30,000 feet away fully stock, using Auto 5.8Ghz, at 200 feet, and only turning around because of the P4P battery. I need a battery mod before I can even fully test the limits of the basic stock setup, using only a $20 windsurfer, with Auto 5.8Ghz. I have an amped FPVLR setup for both my P4's and my P3P's, but without a battery mod on the P4P, it would be overkill, and adding a great deal of extra weight and complexity to the equation that I am happy to eliminate!:cool:

Great results you have achieved , are you mostly flight on open lands , water or in the city as well ?

Great results you have achieved , are you mostly flight on open lands , water or in the city as well ?
Heavily urban areas, but I start from 250' above sea level, flying at 150' to 10' above sea level, which really helps with LOS, even at long range, and I have a 270° unobstructed view, so I can fly in almost any direction. Works in all directions, with GEO turned off!

At 48mph, you are flying way too fast to optimize battery life! Slow down to 32mph and maintain it, or turn OA on to limit it to 30mph. You'll thank me later and double your current range on the same battery!

Heavily urban areas, but I start from 250' above sea level, flying at 150' to 10' above sea level, which really helps with LOS, even at long range, and I have a 270° unobstructed view, so I can fly in almost any direction. Works in all directions, without GEO!
Thank you for the info , i really need to give it a better try .
i am in CE , being in Europe , fly using 2.4GHz , for some reason my kit is setup that way the 5.8ghz is giving disconnection issues and can’t be use . are you on sport mode as well ? what is your average speed when traveling ?

At 48mph, you are flying way too fast to optimize battery life! Slow down to 32mph and maintain it, or turn OA on to limit it to 30mph. You'll thank me later and double your current range on the same battery!
You just replied to what i was writing , thanks a lot , on other flight my average speed is 67mph :eek::eek:

You just replied to what i was writing , thanks a lot , on other flight my average speed is 67mph :eek::eek:
If you are on CE, then everything is different. The 2.4Ghz band on the P4P is stronger than the 5.8Ghz band in Europe. You'll get the most out of the FPVLR setup, especially if you install the 32 channel hack and use a manual 2.4Ghz channel of 30, 31, or 32. Otherwise, use manual 2.4Ghz and channel 20.

To optimize battery life and range, turn OA on, even if you don't need it for obstacle avoidance. Use full throttle the entire flight, and it will maintain a steady 30mph, except into headwinds, which are bad news for distance flying anyway. Sport Mode is the worst for battery life, and should never be used for distance flying. Good luck, and report back! :cool:

Last edited:
If you are on CE, then everything is different. The 2.4Ghz band on the P4P is stronger than the 5.8Ghz band in Europe. You'll get the most out of the FPVLR setup, especially if you install the 32 channel hack and use a manual 2.4Ghz channel of 30, 31, or 32. Otherwise, use manual 2.4Ghz and channel 20.

To optimize battery life and range, turn OA on, even if you don't need it for obstacle avoidance. Use full throttle the entire flight, and it will maintain a steady 30mph, except into headwinds, which are bad news for distance flying anyway. Good luck, and report back! :cool:
Thank you for the precious tips ., OA is always ON , ( in P mode ) not sure about SPORT Mode taugh , i will take a look again , thanks again for your tips and infos .

Thank you for the precious tips ., OA is always ON , ( in P mode ) not sure about SPORT Mode taugh , i will take a look again , thanks again for your tips and infos .
Sport mode automatically turns OA off, and P mode is too fast without turning OA on, as a speed controller. Happy to share the wealth! :cool:

Sport mode automatically turns OA off, and P mode is too fast without turning OA on, as a speed controller. Happy to share the wealth! :cool:
Great tips :):)
Do you have some share vids accessible somewhere ? ( here or youtube ? ) some of your trips, flights ... are you running all latests FW and SW available ? no issues on that side ?
thanks again .

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor