Dedicated P4P Range and Distance discussion

...which is one reason I prefer other forums...
Well, I for one, am glad you started the thread, as it has put the P4P a whole new category of upgrade. Instead of being disappointed with the P4P range, like many others before me, we have all collectively learned of the necessary settings to get fantastic range! :cool:

Really love the range on mine....its consistent also. Unlike my modded p4 i would get so far one day the so far the next....with p4p it is super consistent

Well, I for one, am glad you started the thread, as it has put the P4P a whole new category of upgrade. Instead of being disappointed with the P4P range, like many others before me, we have all collectively learned of the necessary settings to get fantastic range! :cool:

Which one do you have the P4P or the P4P+

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

P4p and i will upload a pic crazy because i still had signal had to turn Around because of battery! Came back with 22℅ didnt want to push it with new battery

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170109-050226.png
    Screenshot_20170109-050226.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 474
I just tried a few runs on the open desert. I set to 2.4 GHz for maximum range and the initial run was disappointing, started to lose connectivity at around 4000'. I then realized that even though I was in the desert I was near a zillion RVs (there is a large gathering going on here) and every one probably had a WiFi hotspot running with the result of the noise level here on 2.4 probably being worse than in a city, and there was a cellular tower nearby to boot. I switched to 5.8 and easily ran out to over 2 miles with full bars for both the controller and downlink. I then started to see the return link waver a bit and essentially ran out of nerve before I ran out of range. That is really amazing performance for a 600mw 5.8 GHz link with crappy antennas and I'm sure I could have done better if 2.4 was usable.

One takeaway here is that having a 5.8 GHz link capability is a very useful feature, and the other is that many reports of range problems likely have to do with the noise floor on the RF channel. It's just about impossible to make accurate assumptions about such things without a lot of expensive test equipment.

Last edited:
Both perform the same on the range test?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, best results always in Auto 5.8Ghz. However, the P4P+ customized Android DJI GO 4 is still buggy as heck, crashes all the time in flight, and has yet to receive any update! It's still on 4.0.0.0!

However, the P4P+ customized Android DJI GO 4 is still buggy as heck, crashes all the time in flight, and has yet to receive any update! It's still on 4.0.0.0!
My P4P+ never crashed or exhibited any stability issues, not once. I switched to a P4P in order to use 3rd party apps, but the P4P+ seemed far more reliable than using an external device, in fact I miss that aspect of it.

I received my P4P last week. I've been seeing how far I can go as I become more comfortable with it. The furthest out that it's flown is 6377'. I was getting high wind warning so I brought it back to be safe. My goal is to fly from my yard to a friend's house. I was getting close on that trip. I estimate that he's about 7500' away. The area is urban rural. A mixture of neighbors and trees between us. He's right on the water after I clear all of that.

My question is, will I lose signal in an area like this if I attempt to land in his yard? I don't see a problem making it to the house but I'm wondering if the houses and trees between us will block the signal as it descends?

Make sure you are in 5.8 Auto and don't worry about the wind warnings they come up all the time does nothing the app is just overly sensitive

My question is, will I lose signal in an area like this if I attempt to land in his yard? I don't see a problem making it to the house but I'm wondering if the houses and trees between us will block the signal as it descends?
You will possibly/probably lose signal as you descend. But even if the signal is blocked as you land the worst thing that should happen is that the aircraft goes into RTH mode, and as long as you make sure that the RTH altitude setting is higher than any obstructions between you then the unit should return safely.

My P4P+ never crashed or exhibited any stability issues, not once. I switched to a P4P in order to use 3rd party apps, but the P4P+ seemed far more reliable than using an external device, in fact I miss that aspect of it.
There is a bug when you switch to Full Screen mode to be able to frame your continuous video recording which prevents one from switching back to the telemetry view. If you never used Full Screen mode, you are lucky! The iOS version of DJI GO 4 has never crashed yet, and is rock solid. It's still missing .SRT files and has a few other anomalies, but it does not crash. Never!

I just tried a few runs on the open desert. I set to 2.4 GHz for maximum range and the initial run was disappointing, started to lose connectivity at around 4000'. I then realized that even though I was in the desert I was near a zillion RVs (there is a large gathering going on here) and every one probably had a WiFi hotspot running with the result of the noise level here on 2.4 probably being worse than in a city, and there was a cellular tower nearby to boot. I switched to 5.8 and easily ran out to over 2 miles with full bars for both the controller and downlink. I then started to see the return link waver a bit and essentially ran out of nerve before I ran out of range. That is really amazing performance for a 600mw 5.8 GHz link with crappy antennas and I'm sure I could have done better if 2.4 was usable.

One takeaway here is that having a 5.8 GHz link capability is a very useful feature, and the other is that many reports of range problems likely have to do with the noise floor on the RF channel. It's just about impossible to make accurate assumptions about such things without a lot of expensive test equipment.
I make no assumptions. I just test and use whatever works the best! Note that the power output in the U.S. is higher on 5.8 than 2.4, 28dBm v. 26 dBm. With my P4, in the same area, with boosted 2.4 and DBS-02, I can get out to 6 miles, but stock, like the P4P, the 2.4 band only goes 6500 feet at best. 5.8 on the P4P kills it! 4x farther than 2.4Ghz for me, and anyone else in an urban area!

I make no assumptions. I just test and use whatever works the best! Note that the power output in the U.S. is higher on 5.8 than 2.4, 28dBm v. 26 dBm. With my P4, in the same area, with boosted 2.4 and DBS-02, I can get out to 6 miles, but stock, like the P4P, the 2.4 band only goes 6500 feet at best. 5.8 on the P4P kills it! 4x farther than 2.4Ghz for me, and anyone else in an urban area!
Same experience with mine. Cant believe 5.8 in auto gets me so far. 2nd flight i did 40,495 ft. Way farther then my p4 with dbs mod. It def does the advertised range and its consistent . Thats the best part

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TK-62119