D-log 500 ISO

Reaction score
Anybody no the reason behind this? Been waiting for a decent log profile and now we have to put up with a higher ISO.

The way I understand it is we use dlog to get the best dynamic range possible, but now this will be ruined by added noise with a higher ISO. Especially when ISO 100 is the best to use on a sunny day.

Doesn't seem logical to me.

Anyone else care to input? I may have it totally wrong.

DJI is not the only manufacturer that does it and there probably is some rationale or it wouldn't be done, but I haven't as yet seen any authoritative explanation.

Is this an automatic thing now? I shoot in D-Log normally but with the ISO at 100.

Thanks for sharing @Kman this is a good post to bookmark.

Is ISO 500 for video noisy though on a P4P or do the benefits of D-Log outweigh this consideration? I mostly use my P4P for photography so not as familiar with video. I try to never go above ISO 200 (ideally ISO 100 really which is still hella noisy) with photos they break down to noisy garbage unsuitable for professional applications needed for client work quickly.

This is probably what we in cinematography refer to as BASE iso, its the single ISO setting at which your sensor/processing pipeline produces its best signal-to-noise ratio and where the sensor can achieve its full dynamic range.
I doubt you will see much noise in broad daylight at 500 ISO on film, and not as visible as it is on still, unless you freeze the frame.
Downside is that you have to stop down the light with darker ND filters to compensate, maybe 32, to get the desired shutter speed.

Hi All,

I understand why they locked dLog at ISO 500. But there are other practical considerations as well. I live in Arizona and the desert floor can get very bright. How much are we going to have to stop down to shoot dLog at ISO 500? As of now, DJI's highest ND filter is 16. PolarPro makes an ND32. If we are going to have to stop down to f/11 there are diffraction considerations that may out weigh the improvements in dynamic range. There are many compromises that we make as videographers. Dynamic range is one of those compromises.

One of the reasons I purchased the Phantom 4 Pro was to have the shooting options. And now. DJI has taken the away the options and did not provide the tools.

DLog locked at ISO 500 is shortsighted.

Donald Barar

Last edited:
I know seems like
Hi All,

I understand why they locked dLog at ISO 500. But there are other practical considerations as well. I live in Arizona and the desert floor can get very bright. How much are we going to have to stop down to shoot dLog at ISO 500? As of now, DJI's highest ND filter is 16. PolarPro makes an ND32. If we are going to have to stop down to f/11 there are diffraction considerations that may out weigh the improvements in dynamic range. There are many compromises that we make as videographers. Dynamic range is one of those compromises.

One of the reasons I purchased the Phantom 4 Pro was to have the shooting options. And now. DJI has taken the away the options and did not provide the tools.

DLog locked at ISO 500 is shortsighted.

Donald Barar

I know it does seem that way but I think all the math and stuff that's way over my head in the post linked above explained why it's a necessary evil. You can shoot D-Cinematic without the ISO 500 limitation.

One thing to consider is using higher shutter speeds. Yes, some will say rolling shutter/jello will be the result and insist that you need to use a shutter speed about 2X the frame rate, but my experience is that isn't nearly the problem it's made out to be. I routinely shoot in the 1/640 to 1/1280 or even faster and I do not detect any noticeable rolling shutter or jello. See these videos as an example.

(shot at about 1/1000).

(shot at about 1/800).

I think the reason we can get away with higher shutter speeds is that when we fly a hundred or so feet above the ground and at lower speeds the relative pixel motion is less than shooting at ground level or higher speed.

But, I usually shoot using ISO100 and f/5 - f/5.6 with D-Cinelike so shutter speeds would be on the order or 1/4000 to 1/6400 for the videos above if the aperture is kept at the f/5.6 point or nearly so.

Brian

Reactions: Eddie258
So let me get this right. I shoot both video and photo for clients in the same flight. If I shoot dlog and switch to photo mode to grab a shot I now have to go into a menu and change the color out of Dlog to get under ISO 500? Then swap it back to do video again?

So let me get this right. I shoot both video and photo for clients in the same flight. If I shoot dlog and switch to photo mode to grab a shot I now have to go into a menu and change the color out of Dlog to get under ISO 500? Then swap it back to do video again?

I believe this is the case, although you could save camera settings then switch between. This itself takes longer than it should.

Why aren't video and still settings treated independently?

I believe this is the case, although you could save camera settings then switch between. This itself takes longer than it should.

Why aren't video and still settings treated independently?

well thats just a real downgrade. Any idea on the EV adjustment not doing anything in aperture priorty, shutter or auto mode?

well thats just a real downgrade. Any idea on the EV adjustment not doing anything in aperture priorty, shutter or auto mode?

Not had a chance to try this yet, there must be a way to set video and still settings separately?!! Hopefully someone on here can help.

Just talked to DJI support. They told me that EV not working in aperture/shutter priority or auto in DLOG is normal.......

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing