Custom Made ND filter no added weight Updated with Comparison Photos

I recently purchased some -3 stop ND Gel material and setup my CNC machine with a drag knife and cut a filter to fit exactly into the removable lens cover that is on the Phantom 3.

It is raining here at the moment so have not had a chance to take it out for a test but will post comparison pictures here when i am able....

For now here are some pics of the filter and of it installed on my camera....
I'm interested in what level ND filters you have - 2, 3, 4 stops?

How can I contact you?

[email protected]

@SteveAikens I just sent you a request for a conversation in the top right corner of this forum you will see your login name and a small envelope icon, that is your conversation indicator you should see a little red number next to it just click on it and yo will see your conversation threads...

UPDATE on GEL material, the supplier I am working with has linked me to a contact at Universal in Los Angeles that supplies him with Tiffen Gel after cuts and he has agreed to meet me to get a sample and possibly purchase some of the his Tiffen Gel at a good discount and he is excited to see the Phantom 3 Pro and is interested to see the quality of the video output first hand. I think it will be really cool to get a Professional from the movie industry to give his opinion of what he thinks of the Video produced by our P3 Pro....I am scheduled to go down and meet with him tomorrow so I am going to make the 2 hour drive and hopefully I come back with some more Gel material...fingers crossed..Oh and I will also let you all know what he thinks of the P3 and its Video output... :)

Maybe you'll be in the movies. hehe Got my ND's today. Thank you they look awesome. Will fly later and try. Need a nap. it's an old guy thing LOL

Got my filters in today. Envelope in the mail I popped two in and I'm very pleased with these. I set ISO to 100 and dialed it down to 1/120 and then to 1/100. 4k looked good but I'd like to see what 1/60 would do. I'll have to charge up and try again later. Thanks for these. Send me a personal message if you get any other materials in. I'll buy some. These fit good. Could of been a mm more in diameter but they are fine. Thank you.

@delirious - you are correct my deviation is about 1mm as it is difficult to hold the gel down and it tends to move a little as the drag knife is cutting it...But I think i have a resolution to this thanks to Coherent from our forum here he and I chatted and he has quite a bit of experience with vinyl cutting and CNC and he gave me a tip on a way to hold the gel down so it does not slip around so I am implementing his suggestion on this next go around to see if it is viable and if so I think I can get the filters cut exactly to fit although that 1 mm of play does not affect the effectiveness of the filter, I myself am a bit of a perfectionist so would like to get them exact...Thanks for your feedback it has been noted and a remedy is in the works...

If I may ask a few questions about shooting in 4K. Rule of thumb is that if I'm shooting at 25 FPS, my shutter speed should be 1/50..or close. Today was overcast and I shot about 5 pm in the afternoon and put two of the filters on the camera. I shot two videos I want you guys to look at. The first one is in log mode. ISO set to 100 and I varied the shutter speed as indicated in the video. I started at 1/30.1/60,1/100,1/120 and then went back and tried 1/50 and 1/30 again. In the first video, I did LOG mode with no post processing. In the second video, I adjust brightnes, contrast and saturation. it would probably be best to adjust to 1080P in both before playing.

Ok, so an a day like that, should I have been using one or two ND filters? Look at the shutter speed to see if 1/50 (which is were I should be) is normal. Hit play on both and you can watch both at the same time, if you wish. 1/50 in the upper film, is log mode and probably representative of what the day looked like as far as brightness out. I guess what I'm asking is, what have you guys seen as best shutter speed for 4K video. Thanks

Last edited:
@delirious - on a overcast day I found that one filter was sufficient and use the over exposure warning to adjust your shutter speed until the zebra stripes are all but removed and that will be my manual setting on shutter speed and be sure not to close out that manual setting by clicking the icon you have to slide it to the left to hold the manual setting. If you feel the frame rate is too high then add the second filter and follow those same steps. I found it takes a bit to get used to it but once you get a feel for it you will know right away what you require to get the shot correct.

BTW I like the upper video as you said and to me it looks more natural and more representative of what I would see if i were to experience that golf course in person on that overcast day...great video I would like to get out on that course...I think ISO 100 1/30 was the one for me but I am sure others will have their own favorite..

Last edited:
HI Dataway
I am interested, as so many, in a set of these ND filters.
Sent you a request for conversation, but not sure whether you received it as I am new to this forum.
Appreciate getting in contact, thank you!

@Flyboy - I did not see you conversation request but I am all out of filters at the moment and am making a trip to try and procure more material to produce another batch of filters... I will keep this thread updated with my findings after I return from my meeting today..

Reactions: cmyk22
Interesting tests. I think that 100 iso at 1/30th with two ND filters on is the first P3 footage I've seen where a quick yaw movement doesn't overwhelm the sensor/datarate and cause that broken up, macro blocking effect. It's particularly nasty and you can see it as a stationary effect, overlaid onto the moving footage below it. You'll see lots of examples of this with video flying/moving too fast in a linear fashion or taking the P3 up and then spinning it like a top.

Got mine the other day but couldn't fly and try. Soooo today with winds 20-25 I gave it a shot. Straight from camera no adjustments. Aerial 1.jpg Just one of Data's ND filters on.

Interesting tests. I think that 100 iso at 1/30th with two ND filters on is the first P3 footage I've seen where a quick yaw movement doesn't overwhelm the sensor/datarate and cause that broken up, macro blocking effect. It's particularly nasty and you can see it as a stationary effect, overlaid onto the moving footage below it. You'll see lots of examples of this with video flying/moving too fast in a linear fashion or taking the P3 up and then spinning it like a top.
I tried to work in the yaw so we could see this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart