Curious or Pissed Off Seagull & P2V+ In Newport Beach, CA

Reaction score
Apparently this seagull was either really curious about my P2V+ or pissed off that it invaded his territory. The bird was swooping all over the quadcopter repeatedly. I wish I had video from the ground since it was never more than a few feet away.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUiuh24YRXM[/youtube]

and some other recent videos of mine from that weekend -

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuMru-uPF0k[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRzqG8ZsRP4[/youtube]

Re: Curious or Pissed Off Seagull & P2V+ In Newport Beach, C

that's rad! Glad he didn't bump into you! I don't fly over the city much but I do have roof access and sometimes fly over my building to test things anyway occasionally a single or group of pigeons will get pissed off and start dive bombing my Phantom. I always hurriedly land because the last thing I need is one of those ******* winged rats catching a prop and causing a crash

Nice video! Maybe the discharging Lipos give off a avian pheromone or something? :)
I have the same issue at times. This evening I was shooting a sunset over the Mississippi River and 2 birds kept circling right on top of the P2... maybe about 10-20' above it. I was already tense enough about shooting over that massive river (I had my GETTERBACK on it, but let's face it, if it dives in, well, the current takes it and it's gone...). So I started descending a bit and pulling back toward shore. Last thing I need is to have one of them stop a prop.

Elfman12 said:
Nice video! Maybe the discharging Lipos give off a avian pheromone or something? :)
I have the same issue at times. This evening I was shooting a sunset over the Mississippi River and 2 birds kept circling right on top of the P2... maybe about 10-20' above it. I was already tense enough about shooting over that massive river (I had my GETTERBACK on it, but let's face it, if it dives in, well, the current takes it and it's gone...). So I started descending a bit and pulling back toward shore. Last thing I need is to have one of them stop a prop.

Thanks.

I'm hoping that these birds have enough natural fear to keep at least a foot or two away from our "invaders".

Act the predator and chase 'em.. Let em know you have 360 degrees of whirling shanks ready to cut 'em.
Worked for me vs a lone gull that was getting nosy.

BJames said:
Act the predator and chase 'em.. Let em know you have 360 degrees of whirling shanks ready to cut 'em.
Worked for me vs a lone gull that was getting nosy.

:lol: Thanks for the laugh. Maybe I'll try that next time.

I wonder if the Phantom could recover from a momentary collision with a bird like that if it was up high enough.

My first P2V+ that I crashed fell about 10 feet down to grass and rocks.

It still flew perfectly with new props, so I don't see why a quick hit of the blades against a relatively soft bird would disable it.

I had 2 HUGE hawks fly just above my P2 again today. I came down lower, and when they followed I turned and moved towards them briefly. That made them fly away, but then they just circled from about 40 yards away. I REALLY don't want to drop out of the sky after hitting one... maybe if I dress my P2 up like an even bigger hawk - paper mache beak, claws, the whole nine yards. Hmmm.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan