CrystalSky questions...

Rip

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a low latency display that works well with the DJI Go app and doesn't struggle with sunlight too much. I've been looking at iPads, LG G5, Nvidia Sheild, Nexus 7 etc etc etc.

The CrystalSky 5.5" is about £430 in the UK plus about £70 for the mount so basically £500. A decent iPad will cost that anyway and the LG G5 is about £250 (used) neither of which would perform as well so I'm thinking rather than spending £200-500 on a device that will be just 'OK', require a hood, probably a ton a settings tweaked and still not be perfect why not spend the £500 on a solution that is **** near perfect (on paper at least) as it's made for that specific purpose. Yes it's expensive but at least it's money spent on something that stays on the ground so won't get lost or crashed and it 'should' hold its value well on the used market when I've finished with it.

Firstly, can the CrystalSky be fitted to a P3A?

So, from what I've read the CrystalSky (I'd be looking at the cheaper 5.5" 1000nits) should be pretty much the best display for running DJI Go with a Phantom in the sunlight, it should have lower latency and a brighter screen than the android/apple devices right?

While flying we need some kind of data connection right? For loading maps I assume? The CrystalSky will connect to a mobile devices wifi hotspot I think, so that should cover that. But, what about GPS, GPS is used for 'follow me' and 'points of interest' is that right? I assume the CrystalSky has no GPS and also won't get GPS through a wifi hotspot so, by not using a mobile device to run the app will invest loosing a bunch of GPS related features?

Last edited:
it should have lower latency and a brighter screen than the android/apple devices right?

It would definitely be brighter, it doesn't seem like there would be dramatic difference in latency. Granted, there is some latency inherent in processing the video stream, but I'd think most of it is related to transmission. I'd be curious to hear if that's really the case from someone who has one.

It does have a GPS receiver per the CrystalSky specs.

Cool, not sure how I missed that! So really the only downside to the CrystalSky is the price then, as it looks like I'll retain all functionality of a mobile device as long as I connect the CrystalSky to my mobile devices hotspot while out in the field?

It would definitely be brighter, it doesn't seem like there would be dramatic difference in latency. Granted, there is some latency inherent in processing the video stream, but I'd think most of it is related to transmission. I'd be curious to hear if that's really the case from someone who has one.
Yes me too to be honest. Obviously there will always be some latency from coding and sending the video back to the controller but I'm guessing the CrystalSky would have minimal latency itself compared to a normal mobile device. The same way that some mobile devices have more latency than others, I'd like to think that CrystalSky was on the lower side of things as that's what it's built for.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart