Critique My First Proper Edit

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Made my first proper video over the weekend and although happy with my first attempt at using Final Cut Pro X I'm not entirely happy with the video for a number of reasons.

The main one being the slight movements that keep happening, also there appears to be the jello effect.

How can these be sorted?

Any other critique and opinions is most welcome as well as I am very keen to improve my skills with each video moving forwards.

Thanks in advance guys -

PS the video isn't actually 8 minutes long, I just forgot to trim the music down once filming had stopped!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaeE2wx-5VU

What kit are you using?

It looks like your gimbal has an issue, is the firmware all up to date? I think this is also creating the jello, although that could be an unbalanced prop. I am assuming you are using FPV and can see the same on there?

Apart from that, love the footage. The music repeats, and for me, that's long enough, so you could have cut down some of the similar shots.

You are much braver than me flying over water that much :)

Smaller/slower movement when adjusting gimbal (opening scene) and go to heavier insalators on gimbal - white are too soft. Black 40% or 50% will help eliminate jello.

Thanks, will have to check Gimbal FW although I am sure the last time I looked it wasn't available for Mac.

In terms of kit -

Phantom 2
H3-3D
GoPro Hero3+ Black
Lilliput FPV screen
ImmersionRC 600Mw
Horizon antennas

Yeah I'm currently using 4 white gimbal holders, I remember reading on here the ideal colour combination front and back on here to use but can't remember, will have a look around for it!

You might want to beg or borrow a PC - or run boot camp if you have it, as it is worth ensuring everything is up to date.

I run black front and back. Seems to work pretty well for me!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=katMsHYya1s

You asked for critique on your editing/film!?!

Sorry but any vidoe that has nearly ten seconds of grass followed by a lurch into the sky before it shows anything of any note has not been edited. Even the most basic editing is about getting rid of the c**p, wobble and shake at the start and end of each shot. By your own admission you weren't happy with some of the shots - so why put them in?

I hit the stop button after 15 secs. You did ask!

Yeah wasn't sure whether to put take off in there or not. Certainly not it would seem :)

Although I must say I'd rather you picked 200 faults then just stop watching after 15 seconds, that's no help to me whatsoever.

Original poster said:
Yeah wasn't sure whether to put take off in there or not. Certainly not it would seem :)

Although I must say I'd rather you picked 200 faults then just stop watching after 15 seconds, that's no help to me whatsoever.

Best bit of advice I can offer is for you to look at some of the good stuff being posted here and learn from their techniques.

I would suggest you start here...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23921

I find the fades between two similar scenes, where almost identical objects overlap, distracting. I only use fades between very different scenes. Or use fades of very short duration. I always try to keep my scenes between 5 & 7 seconds in length, but that is my personal preference and many other great videos have longer duration. Hope that helps. :D

Cool video... I was going to say what 'fastsmiles ' said... It looks like it is having issues when you cross fade... Maybe try a black fade?? All the other footage looks nice...

Original poster said:
Thanks, will have to check Gimbal FW although I am sure the last time I looked it wasn't available for Mac.

On a Mac use assistant 3.0 (not the latest 3.2)
With version 3.0 you will be able to update to the latest FW version of your gimbal.
Use 3.2 to update your Phantom.

Definitely on the cross fades between shots... very distracting.

I would also recommend fixing your colour and exposure.
Here is a quick 3 minute edit of your video in Final Cut, just applying the fisheye removal filter, boosting the colours and fiddling with the exposure. (globally but should be done for each shot)
I just put it up at thumbnail size but you can see the difference. (I'll delete it in a few days or as soon as you tell me to)
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr_L2zGCV08[/youtube]

If you're still learning Final Cut then I would also recommend trying iMovie for a while as it definitely has dumbed down controls and still easily lets you fix up any movie.

I also try to keep my videos under 4 minutes (attention spans being what they are). Anything longer and I find people don't watch, plus it's easier to match music without looping.
Try to cull more footage, if a scene is a repeat or just uninteresting consider cutting it completely.
You can fiddle around with the speed of the playback for each section too. You get smoother video when you fly slower then you can just speed up the playback rate.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94