CRASH Landing and now motor noises

Reaction score
I made an unfortunate dive into a boulder field today. I'm not sure if it was a down draft or what, but regardless the Phantom went down hard into the rocks. Miraculously the gimbal and camera seem to have come out unscathed even when all rotors were shredded and two rotor guards were broken as well. I thought everything was pretty much intact, but now that I have it back in the office and have taken the rotors off, one of the motors is clicking when manually turning it. Out of curiosity I had to see if it would fly, and it does, but does anyone have any advice on the clicking motor and getting it back to normal?

You will have to remove the motor and examine the magnets to make sure they are all intact. I would recommend no longer running the motors until you examine the bad one. The magnets are held in place by epoxy and I would not feel confident in running a bent motor bell, if the magnet displaces it will lock up the motor and cook your esc along with crash you. They are $30 off ebay, cheap insurance. On my blade 350qx I just squeeze the motor housing to bring it back to round and true.

There is a set screw near the top of the motor that you should loosen after removing the 4 screws on the bottom. Check the height of the c-clip and make sure it is where it should be.

You should be able to check for any play or movement which would come from the center rod in the motor. This is not hard to do either.

That sounds like fun; is there a diagram somewhere that will get me started on exposing the motor? I usually just start pulling screws, but this might be a little more delicate? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time!

yes..dont run it. it could even be a little piece of gravel like mine had..and it scratched the winding and bzzzt! bad board now.

A new motor will only cost you $29 and some careful soldering. I wouldn't try to fix it and risk my bird.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl