Crash into the world's largest Buddha (Hong Kong)

Reaction score
Hello all,

A crazy thing happened to me yesterday. All this took place without me ever knowing about the crash into the world's largest sitting Buddha, located in Hong Kong. Here are the details.

1) The area is in a restricted air space due to its proximity of the Hong Kong International Airport. The altitude limitation was set automatically by the phantom at 120m. As a result, I could not elevate the phantom above 120m even if I tried.

2) I did a fly around of the statue and the line of sight was lost. This also triggered a loss of control signal as well as the FPV feed to the iPhone. As a result, the Phantom entered a failsafe mode and initiated an automatic return to home (RTH).

Problem is that the Phantom was directly behind the Buddha statue when the RTH function triggered, so guess what happened ... a head-on crash (literally) into the back of the Buddha head.

The link to the video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEM4M45 ... e=youtu.be

What's amazing about this is that the Phantom completely self recovered after the crash and resumed flight as if nothing has happened. I therefore did not suspect anything had gone wrong because when the FPV resumed, everything was perfectly normal.

I continued flying the Phantom during the whole day in various areas around Hong Kong with no issues whatsoever and only learned about the crash when reviewing the footage when I went back home. I was completely shocked.

Needless to say, I learned a lot from this event and feel very bad about the whole thing as it could have lead to unfortunate outcome. Luckily it didn't.

This does however show how well built these things are and the incredible technology involved in order to completely stabilise the unit in mid-air after a hit. This is why we pay additional premium for the Phantom and also why we cope with the absence of after sales service from the company in certain areas.

Let me know your thoughts. I have not seen other videos like this before.

What the? Is you Phantom made of adamantium or something? Mine crashed gently into a tree and died - how on earth did your survive crashing into a statue? At least some of the propellers should have broken! Wow, that's one tough bird you're flying!

I can't understand how the props didn't break. I've had several mishaps and in every case the props break.

At first I thought it was a sad ending, but man.. I bet Buddha was like "Oh crap, my bad.. lemmie get that".

You lucky person you. :lol:

Haha probably the best crash video ive seen since the chimney incident. Well done, very lucky and thanks for speeding up the video.

Its clear for me as a post Buddhist that you had Buddha watching over that bird for several reasons.
Buddha never wanted to be worshipped, not even when he was alive.
He certainly would love all new inventions ( i guess, can't ask ).
As he would know that the crash wasn't intentional he would defiantly state " It was in the way of the birds freedom ".
Therefore you got lucky, but don't push it.
Now you know what happened and why.
Only a fool hits his head twice on the same rock and thus never argue with fools because that only states that there are 2 of them.

Based on all your posts, I think I've decided to convert to Buddhism ;-)

I'm really not too sure how the phantom came out of this one alive, but perhaps a greater power was involved.

I've flown all day today in other areas around Hong Kong and had absolutely no sign of anything wrong. I changed all the props for precaution.

Dirty Bird said:
Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
I'm more of a Confusious follower myself. Dont know what he would have had to say about it?

I think his words might have been, "OUCH!" :shock:

Haha :)
I think he might have said "man who fly phantom upside down have crack up"

anyone remember the jerk who flew his phantom in NYC and didnt even know how to take off?

That thing must have hit multiple buildings and self recovered almost a handful of times.

It would seem that the Buddha absorbed the karma which your Phantom incurred from flying in a no-fly zone, and your Phantom thus attained kensho, a momentary enlightenment, allowing it to right itself and fly on, relatively unharmed. Perhaps you should allow your Phantom to sit regularly, with some candles and incense, so it may better cultivate its Buddha-nature.

Namaste.

Werz said:
It would seem that the Buddha absorbed the karma which your Phantom incurred from flying in a no-fly zone, and your Phantom thus attained kensho, a momentary enlightenment, allowing it to right itself and fly on, relatively unharmed. Perhaps you should allow your Phantom to sit regularly, with some candles and incense, so it may better cultivate its Buddha-nature.

Namaste.
Or maybe Naza just did its magic?

dragonash said:
anyone remember the jerk who flew his phantom in NYC and didnt even know how to take off?

That thing must have hit multiple buildings and self recovered almost a handful of times.
Thats a classic, probably the best phantom crash video ever!

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
dragonash said:

Thats a classic, probably the best phantom crash video ever!

Do you have a link ?

:D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl