cracks under motor

Reaction score
Hey Kids, i was flying drone indoors with prop guards and what i thought
was GPS, when i bumped into a wall, a blade hit a small pipe and the aircraft recoiled? & didn't crash.
so i decided to quit flying indoors, took prop guards off and noticed cracks under 1 motor, so i looked around found ways to repair cracks, but first i took pics of cracks and got my shipping label from DJI, now i couldn't fly for MONTHS and the weather broke so i "fixed" the cracks and have flown 20 + flights since, no sign of cracks growing or appearing under any other motors, now i feel like i've been a wimp, and i can survive without a flawless shell, 10 more days to use shipping label and a month left on warranty, what the hell should i do?

...what the hell should i do?

Fly on! If you're confident in your repair it's really not worth potential shipping damage and loosing all that flight time for such a minor issue. Of course.. you want to keep an eye on them, but that's just common sense before any flight, anyway.

If you are really concerned, you might consider adding "strong arm reinforcements".

Reactions: Frank Candor
Lets say you replace this one .. and then you are on borrowed time before cracks appear in the replacement.

I repaired mine .. and added metal plates.

Never regretted it.

Nigel

Reactions: Frank Candor
I agree with Nigel that those plastic/carbon/metal (pick your poison) reinforcement plates are well worth the very reasonable cost and additional weight. It's one of the first mods I do on a new phantom and have never regretted it.

A lot of folks too will remove the motors and fill the plastic reinforcement sections underneath with epoxy.

Just lost my bird due to hitting a quick reverse and watched the motor and prop fly away.Bird dropped 200 ft. To concrete. Totally destroyed. I had made repairs to crack but over time the torque was overcoming and down she came. Wish I had now changed out the shell.

Get your P3 repaired, you'll be glad you did. I sent mine back and DJI did an admirable job repairing and returning. You've done the irritating part if you have a return label. Note: you will get your drone back with no stickers on the arms...

Just note others who post that their DJI repaired cracked again not long after .....

Personally I feel the design is weak and filling / glueing and adding the metal plates will be much better than just a DJI replaced shell ... which will have no different strength of structure to the original ...

Repair it yourself and add the plates is a half day job ... instead of waiting for DJI ... cost is peanuts as well instead of shipping costs to DJI.

Nigel

Just lost my bird due to hitting a quick reverse and watched the motor and prop fly away.Bird dropped 200 ft. To concrete. Totally destroyed. I had made repairs to crack but over time the torque was overcoming and down she came. Wish I had now changed out the shell.

Sorry if I sound rude - but that sounds like your repair was not so good. Any repair needs to be periodically checked to make sure still holding up.

Did you add metal plates to the arms ?

Those plates are a really worthwhile fitting and if I was to buy another P3 ... would fit them first day and not wait for the cracks to appear.

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl