County Sheriff Department authorizing civilians to shoot drones?

Reaction score
I live in a rural area of the United States in the upper mid-west.

Our county seat, which is where I work, has a population of about 18,000 people or less.

I work in retail.

Yesterday, a gentleman was in and somehow the subject of "drones" (cringe) came up.

He stated the local Sheriff's Department has authorized him to use a shotgun to shoot at a quadcopter that he claims flies over his property approximately 5-10 feet above head height.

I couldn't ignore it, but tried to be diplomatic and informed him I believe the Sheriff's Department has given him some bad advise (assuming he was actually told this). It is illegal, to my knowledge to shoot down an aircraft, even a hobby aircraft and the FAA may get involved if you do.

He seems intent on doing so. Said they have talked to the operator and the Sheriff's Department has also spoke to the operator. (Mind you, I am getting this third person, so I cannot confirm these actually took place).

I tried to point out that one of these over your property does not necessarily mean the camera is pointing down at you. The operator "should" be respectful enough to attempt to avoid your property, or at least cross it in an expeditious manner, if they must.

He seemed to not really care. So, will keep everyone posted. What I find ironic is the Sheriff's Department recently obtained one to utilize in the field. Sure would hate for them to be doing S & R and have someone shoot "theirs" down because they flew over the property of someone they gave permission to do so.

More to come, on this, I am sure.

People don't seem to realize how dangerous it is to shoot down an UAV. It could crash land into a person, car, or other property. If the battery is pierced it then becomes a fireball. Oh, then there's the whole Federal Crime thing you brought up.

If his story is true, however, the operator is asking for trouble flying that low over someone's property, esp. if they had been asked not to. Of course it's no excuse to shoot it down, but I would think a harassment charge or something similar could be done if he repeatedly flies over property at that height. At 400' you become much less noticeable --- and a much harder target. :)

Reactions: Ben01
5 to 10 feet over head height??? Assuming the guy is 6 feet tall, - who is going to fly over someone's property at 16 feet high?

I agree with the above poster - it's all hot air.

I found his height story hard to believe. He pointed to our high ceiling and said it was that close, but....

I guess my concern was if the Sheriff's Department is actually giving advice to shoot them down if they fly over your property.

Last edited:
5 to 10 feet over head height??? Assuming the guy is 6 feet tall, - who is going to fly over someone's property at 16 feet high?

I agree with the above poster - it's all hot air.
Even flying in private property below 40 feet is illegal. You are too close and the drone can hit the property (in case they have a second or third floor) or hit a tree. If you fly over an attitude of 50 meters that can be enough to be away from the property.

So, who is to blame here, the property owner or the drone pilot? Seriously!o_O

Yeah... gonna call 100% BS.

Also, if the person continues to fly 10' over his property, I'd say he lives close by. In a small town he can't ask who this person is and ask him to stop flying over his property? Naw, why communicate when you get shoot at things.

Reactions: SoundByte
Yeah... gonna call 100% BS.

Also, if the person continues to fly 10' over his property, I'd say he lives close by. In a small town he can't ask who this person is and ask him to stop flying over his property? Naw, why communicate when you get shoot at things.

Probably continuing a feud that their Pappy's started. [emoji6]

The sherif probably said something like, "Well go ahead and shoot the damned thing down Earl, just stop calling us."

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl