Converter to run USB port off LiPo battery

Reaction score
Anyone aware of such a device that will take an XT plug from a lipo battery and reduce the voltage to 5.5v and have a USB output? I have a number of devices that would love to power up off my many 11.1v lipo batteries. That would make them a bit more useful too. I've googled it but they all come with batteries, like I need more batteries. Just the converter/adapter is all I need.

sure ,,, any car cigarete adapter to usb will do that ,,, just disasemble the plastics , find a new housing for it and plug
it to your lipo .. it will be good till your lipos drop down to 10V

Roadkilt said:
Anyone aware of such a device that will take an XT plug from a lipo battery and reduce the voltage to 5.5v and have a USB output? I have a number of devices that would love to power up off my many 11.1v lipo batteries. That would make them a bit more useful too. I've googled it but they all come with batteries, like I need more batteries. Just the converter/adapter is all I need.

The USB spec is NOT 5.5volts ! - If you connect your phone (or similar usb device) to 5.5 you will probably destroy it unless there is over voltage protection internally. Like wise anything under 4.75 volts and a usb based device will not function.
The usb voltage spec is 4.75 - 5.25 (although usb 3 has slightly differing criteria).

Unless you REALLY understand it's best not to dabble. There are strict current restrictions as well with usb 1/2 limited to 500mA and usb3 at 900mA.

The 'safest way to do anything like this would be to connect a cigar lighter (fused) in line and then plug in a cigar lighter usb charger into that. That way the internal current and voltage regulators will take care of giving a regulated output.

The other thing to bear in mind is you will have no idea when your lipo has dropped to a level that will render it useless (9v) as some of the usb chargers will still operate as low as 8 volts or so. If that happens you will have no choice but to dispose of your lipo since it will be no good for model flying anymore!

To be honest... I just wouldn't do it, but that's only my opinion.

Good warnings about a home brew converter ruining my battery and anything attached! I looked up that converter from hobby king and they actually have exactly what I want, product 9070000027, which takes on anything from a 2 to a 6S, gives a stable 5v 1000ma current, protects against over discharge and gives a battery readout. All for $8! It runs off the JST-XH balance plug. http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__ ... ecker.html

Car usb converter should do the job, but a BEC or uBEC is exactly what your after, its designed for this purpose!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl