Controller Won't Charge

Reaction score
Have not used my P4 in awhile so a few days ago I charged up some batteries and turned everything on. Controller needed an update so this was done. AC needed a firmware update so this was attempted but failed. During this process it appeared that the controller charge went low. So I connected the controller to the charger.

When I plugged the controller in, one white light on the left lit up and flashed. About 2 seconds later that white continued to flash, the red light started to flash and the controller started to beep very fast. I left the controller plugged in over night but the same thing happened the next day. I tried many times to go into the app, turn the controller off and on and combinations of things while charging. Nothing changed. I tested the battery in the controller and both "sides" are 18.4 volts. So the battery shows fully charged. The controller seems to confirm it's plugged into the charger as when I do this, it starts to flash one light.

Here is a video:

I've reset the controller and relinked it to the P4. It connects just fine but there is an error that the controller battery is low. The aircraft battery shows 4 lights, was fully charged and I don't see that it's low. The controller battery is showing low. I go into the app and the controller battery showed 0%. I left it on the charged all day and also kept plugging it in and unplugging it about 50 times. Later when I brought up the app it showed 5% and a few seconds later showed 1%.

I _think_ either the controller battery is bad or it's fully charged and the controlled is not reading it correctly.

Some additional information:

Some times when I plug the charger in the lights flash and tick up from left to right as it normally does when it's charging. But then they just all turn off (as they do in the video). Now when I plug it in, the left white light flashes but there is no red light and the controlled does not beep. This is another reason why I think the battery is fully charged but the controlled does not acknowledge this.

Any ideas?

Could your RC update be to recent for the GO app? I don't know if this would make a difference but maybe their not quite compatible??? I have read the some guys delete the old app before installing the new as it seems at times that some old code is still in the tablet and at times lines gets mixed up.(maybe). I would also try a hard reset of the RC and reload fresh firmware. It's that C1 and C2 and press right wheel and shutter button all at the same time, the left RC light should go blue when in programming mode. (I would check about the 4 buttons you have to push all at once, I had to do this once over a year ago and I can't remember what I had for breakfast)

Last edited:
Could your RC update be to recent for the GO app?

it does not have anything to do with the Go app as the controller will run and even connect to the P4 without the Go app running. The battery error happens when connected and not connected to the app.

I've done some searching and it seems like this is a _very_ common problem. My only issue is that my warranty was up 10 days ago. I think I'll need to call DJI on Monday and see about sending it in. While I think this really looks like a manufactures defect, I don't see them addressing the issue without charging me something.

Reactions: Jim Canada
I've read a number of threads similar to yours and once the charger is discounted as a problem, and there is no history of the controller being damaged/dropped, it's off to DJI. I have read of some users opening up the controller, disconnecting the battery, count to 20 and reconnect and they have had success.
WRT to your warranty being 10 days outside of the period, not sure about the US, but over here you have additional warranty protection under Australian Consumer Law and we have every right to pursue satisfaction, particularly when there is an expectation of a product performing outside of an arbitrary time period and there are no signs of misuse or damage. Im always firm but polite.....

I just posted it on the P3 pages, but i found a RC shop in Malaysia advertising replacement battery for P3 and P4 controllers - about $65 (US). I don't know if they sell outside the country, but i've been searching for months for replacement battery for my dead controller and that one looks similar to what we have in P4 - even the back sticker to hold it in place is the same.

upload_2017-9-1_20-5-28.png

7.4V 6000mAh 44.4Wh Lipo Battery - Others - Battery Extreme

Oh no, I hate to break it to you, but I had a very similar problem and had to send it into DJI support for repair. They confirmed it was a faulty remote and repaired it under the manufacture warranty.

The DJI support process was an absolute joke. To the point where I'd seriously recommend third party repair, especially if you're outside the warranty window.

After my experience, and reading forums of others who have had a similar experience, I wrote this, An Open Letter to DJI – Matt McKillen – Medium

Sorry that's not more helpful. Best of luck.

I found a solution to this old problem.
Credit to goneredcar1 for his detailed explanation & battery replacement video on youtube

The charging board appears to be the culprit in many instances of charging failures

The cells were at 4.1v but wouldn't charge. I separated the cells by cutting carefully through the double sided tape between them, removed all the surface mounted components, then soldered the wires on to the top of the board. Controller now charges correctly

20170902_180252_resized.jpg
20170902_180301_resized.jpg
20170902_180524_resized.jpg
20170902_180547_resized.jpg
20170902_180614_resized.jpg
20170902_181040_resized.jpg

Oh no, I hate to break it to you, but I had a very similar problem and had to send it into DJI support for repair. They confirmed it was a faulty remote and repaired it under the manufacture warranty.

The DJI support process was an absolute joke. To the point where I'd seriously recommend third party repair, especially if you're outside the warranty window.

After my experience, and reading forums of others who have had a similar experience, I wrote this, An Open Letter to DJI – Matt McKillen – Medium

Sorry that's not more helpful. Best of luck.
Yes i tasted the bad DJI support services, and there is no way i will pay them a dime for a defect in their products. I'm now running with an alternate battery installation of my own, but i posted my message above as a lot of people are searching for the original part (battery) and DJI doesn't sell them.

The video PCON posted above (from Goneredcar1) is the one i saw that put me on the right track to use an alternate battery.

Reactions: amstar
The charging board appears to be the culprit in many instances of charging failures
The cells were at 4.1v but wouldn't charge. I separated the cells by cutting carefully through the double sided tape between them, removed all the surface mounted components, then soldered the wires on to the top of the board. Controller now charges correctly

thanks for the info - - just to clarify - re-soldering the wires to the other side of the board was all you did to solve the problem?

I removed all the surface mounted components from the underside of the board. Scratched off the enamel on the top side to solder the wires on. Check voltage at this point should be approx 8v

thanks for the info - - just to clarify - re-soldering the wires to the other side of the board was all you did to solve the problem?
I've been having the same story issue. Thing is, I believe I've ruled out the battery... I also have a GL658C that was unmodded at the time. Charged that battery to 100%, took it out and put it in the 300C RC and turned it on.. 75% from the get go. It drained to 50% pretty fast. Took it back out and put it back in the 658C and it showed as 90%. So I the stuck the P4 battery in the 658C and it showed around 90%. Stuck that 300C battery back in the 300C RC.. same deal, 75% max. Would never show past 75% no matter how much it was charged.
I'm using the 658C RC with the 300C still down. In my mind, I've ruled out a bad battery by checking with a different remote. Can't recheck the 300C till I get new mod cables.. but it seems people are having same issue, but different causes?
Edit: Also, I hadn't done an update, so that's also ruled out. Bought Sept 16, updated once and not since... Before this happened. As of this month, currently updated and no problems with P4 and 658C controller.

Last edited:
I've read a number of threads similar to yours and once the charger is discounted as a problem, and there is no history of the controller being damaged/dropped, it's off to DJI. I have read of some users opening up the controller, disconnecting the battery, count to 20 and reconnect and they have had success.
WRT to your warranty being 10 days outside of the period, not sure about the US, but over here you have additional warranty protection under Australian Consumer Law and we have every right to pursue satisfaction, particularly when there is an expectation of a product performing outside of an arbitrary time period and there are no signs of misuse or damage. Im always firm but polite.....

An update on this.

I did some looking and also saw that this appears to be a common issue, with the only recourse to send it into DJI (as it looks to require some hardware repairs). I had two chats with DJI support and they recommended I send it in. They supplied the paid postage label and I sent it in about a week ago.

Side note: I'm planning on a trip that takes place in another 2 week from now (three weeks from when I sent it in). I'd like to take the P4 but to be honest, I still have my P3 and my Mavic. I was hoping that this might have been done in two weeks but seriously... does anyone thing that would happen.

Today (again, a week after I mailed the P4) I get an email from DJI. I nervously click in the email and read it over. They have determined the issue and will make repairs under warranty! There is no mention of what is being done though. Email states that repairs will take 3-6 days. I suspect the repairs will only take a day or two and it will be mailed back. I really think it's going to get back in time for that trip.

Kudo's to DJI for this transaction. I know people have had difference experiences with DJI, many not good. I've had terrible service in the past as well (I got my own exclusion added to their warranty as a result) but I've never been a DJI hater and I'll give then props when they do good.

I may be jumping the gun a little as they have confirmed that it will be repaired under warranty and did so very quickly. They have yet to meet their 3-6 day turn around time for repairs.
Well at least you will get a modicum of satisfaction with DJI looking after you. Looks like you might just scrape in with the time frame, keep gently reminding them.

I removed all the surface mounted components from the underside of the board. Scratched off the enamel on the top side to solder the wires on. Check voltage at this point should be approx 8v

I think you have basically removed the balancing circuit. Have you had any issues charging the batteries? How many times have you charged since you did the mod?

I think you have basically removed the balancing circuit. Have you had any issues charging the batteries? How many times have you charged since you did the mod?
Correct, I have removed the balancing circuit. Many RC transmitters work fine without it from the factory. I've had no issues with charging the battery and had about 8 recharges so far.

Correct, I have removed the balancing circuit. Many RC transmitters work fine without it from the factory. I've had no issues with charging the battery and had about 8 recharges so far.

That's what I wanted to hear. I am going to tear into mine tomorrow. Looks like an easy fix.

That maybe how warranty repair are getting around the issue cause if they put in a new battery it could still do the same. Inherent design fault can't be repaired with same part

I got lazy - and sent it in for repair.

Although it was an issue that started before my 1 year warranty was up - - and although I had paid for the extra care package - - none of that mattered because I didn't report the failure during that period - and besides the fact we all may feel this is a design fault - they didn't care...

It cost me about $212 and took approximately a month from the time I sent it and when I got it back - works fine so far...

Yeah sometimes you just want the thing to work and have it fixed. Be interesting to know what they did..?.replace battery with same or just removed balancing board circuit. I can charge mine to 3 LEDs but its a lot of foolin round. Have noticed the bottom of rc where the battery is located gets hot when its plugged to the tablet and is on charge as well. There is some disparity here and not sure wots going on. It flattened out my tablet once and am suspect on the roll of charging from the rc port

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart