Controller modifications (USB and ultimate battery)

Sometimes I take this with me...... But I already happen to own two of them for photography so that's a no brainier.

Did I see someone say they get better range when the repeater is plugged into power? This does not make sense to me but then many things don't these days. :roll:

vm120_front_1210.jpg

rfernandez said:
Why are we making this so complicated.. here is a much more simpler solution. Wait for it Wait for it!!!!

Carry and extra set of AA batteries or two, In your case!!!! Wow What a concept. Rather that making all kinds of holes and unnecessary mods to a dumb transmitter.

Just saying... ;)

Edit, you can get roughly about 6 full flights out of a set of AA before you get the low battery warning.. and if does go out without warning (highly unlikely) guess what the Phantom goes into fail safe.. And comes home..!!

True enough, though that won't charge your cell phone and repeater (which was the original idea). The only reason I added an option to replace the controller batteries (notice I said "option" as I can still use AA batteries if I want) was, wait for it, ... Why not. ;-)

To some this may be complicated, to others a challenge (to find an even better way).

"Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower" - Steve Jobs
"when you innovate, you've got to be prepared for everyone telling you your nuts" - Larry Ellison

BTW, I do appreciate your post, as I often say in my posts, to each their own.

Edit: darn, missed the other posts, oh well, still holds true. :)

I have read the post with regard to using a power pack to maintain or increase the range on the extender. Though I have not found anything to support this theory (myth).
As far as I know a transmitter will put out the same amount of RF until the power source falls below the low threshold to where it cannot efficiently maintaing its operation and shuts down, So placing a power pack to keep it fully charged should not make any difference on power output.

if you want to keep the extender charges all the time I use a Mophie power Pack, Pull_Up uses a similar unit.. But I only use it to recharge the extender if is need it.. Tow or three flight will not deplete the extender..

rfernandez said:
I have read the post with regard to using a power pack to maintain or increase the range on the extender. Though I have not found anything to support this theory (myth).
As far as I know a transmitter will put out the same amount of RF until the power source falls below the low threshold to where it cannot efficiently maintaing its operation and shuts down, So placing a power pack to keep it fully charged should not make any difference on power output.

if you want to keep the extender charges all the time I use a Mophie power Pack, Pull_Up uses a similar unit.. But I only use it to recharge the extender if is need it.. Tow or three flight will not deplete the extender..

This does a better job of passing the "smell test"

I replace AA batteries with a 2S Lipo 550mAh. I also added a tiny DC-DC regulator inside the transmitter regulating to 6.4V. A fully charged 2S Lipo is 8.4V, which may burn out the transmitter without stepping down (I never try it though).

When I did a range test earlier, my 5.8G control link dropped at 2.3 KM. I then noticed AA alkaline batteries with only 1.35V, while a brand new one is 1.6V. I suspect lower voltage may affect the TX power.

Attachments

• 2S-Lipo.JPG
    2S-Lipo.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 324
Great stuff! Some great ideas here.

I do use a smaller (6000maH) power pack to keep the repeater topped off - makes quite a different to my range. Also someone mentioned only 6 flights on a set of AAs before getting a battery warning. I flew 27 flights on a set of Duracell Ultras - all fine, and most of those flights were 20 minutes or more. They measured 1.39-1.40V after 27 flights.

nhoover said:
Also someone mentioned only 6 flights on a set of AAs before getting a battery warning. I flew 27 flights on a set of Duracell Ultras - all fine, and most of those flights were 20 minutes or more. They measured 1.39-1.40V after 27 flights.

In FCC or EC compliance mode? There's about 5x difference in power consumption...

AnselA said:
nhoover said:
Also someone mentioned only 6 flights on a set of AAs before getting a battery warning. I flew 27 flights on a set of Duracell Ultras - all fine, and most of those flights were 20 minutes or more. They measured 1.39-1.40V after 27 flights.

In FCC or CE compliance mode? There's about 5x difference in power consumption...

AnselA said:
nhoover said:

In FCC or EC compliance mode? There's about 5x difference in power consumption...

I always fly in FCC Mode, even if I don't fly too far from my transmitter (Home Point). Should we change the compliance mode if we don't intend to fly far away, just to save "fuel"?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl