Control range of P2?

Reaction score
I've only had my P2 for a few weeks, and up to a few days ago spent all my time working my way through all the training exercises in DJI's "Pilot Training Guide", which I think will be a worthwhile investment of my time. Having finished that, though, it's prop guards off, FPV monitor on, and real flying. I'm just overwhelmed by how amazing the aerial footage is I'm getting - just stunning.

I'm gradually extending both my height and my range to build up my confidence, and am now flying (according to my IOSD Mini display) at about 30m high, and out to a range of about 250m. Everything works just fine: no control problems or video problems (except when I forgot to attach the antenna to the monitor's receiver :) ).

I'm just wondering what I can reasonably expect to get in terms of control range, with a clear line of sight to my P2, and no interference around. Can anyone advise me? When I do reach the end of the range, will the P2 just go into RTH mode, or am I likely to notice control getting flaky first? Finally, if it does go to RTH, how do I get control back when it's come closer? Switch to ATTI mode? (I am flying in Naza mode)

Thanks!

1KM is not unheard of, but if you can see it, the chances are you will be able to control it!

I have yet to send mine out of control range, so can't comment on what happens when you close to the edge...

I know your talking control range but as you have FPV I have factored that in on my response. As well as control It depends on what antennas you have fitted and what vtx. For example I have the Horizon matched antennas on a Black Pearl diversity monitor receiving from an ImmersionRC 600mW vtx. I'm not a distance man but as a risky experiment I once took it out to 1500m with clear video and control. Since that experiment I've stayed within LOS as I am supposed to. I just had to get it out of my system! I have no loss if video even on a 180 degree turn. Hope that gives you some idea. Many have gone much further with the same gear, but I really have no need+ its illegal in the UK!

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Sorry I hit send too quick. You may still have video when RTH kick in. Flick from GPS to ATTI and back to GPS when you come back in range to regain control. RTH happens quickly. It pauses for around 3 sec then turns for home.

Thank you IrishSights - that's very helpful. I have a 2000mW "Thunderbolt" video transmitter which should supposedly work at 5km, so hopefully I won't have to worry about losing the video signal. My eyesight isn't terribly good (I'm in my 50s, and my vision isn't what it once was), which is why I find FPV flying such an amazing experience. It's a doddle to find my way back "home" with the IOSD, even if I've totally lost sight of the P2, which I must admit I often do. White P2 against white clouds = hard to see!

Its also interesting to know that 25mW is the legal limit in the UK! That is without a ham licence

IrishSights said:
Its also interesting to know that 25mW is the legal limit in the UK! That is without a ham licence

LOL :). Heliguy (that's where you bought your kit from too, isn't it?) sell it - in fact they recommended it to me! I won't tell them that they're selling illegal kit if you don't ;).

Ah what kit? [emoji6] using is different from selling apparently. No I got my basic kit from the excellent droneshack.co.uk. they have an off-shoot here in NI

Apologies - I must be confusing you with someone else in a recent thread from NI who was bemoaning the lack of NI dealers and saying that he too bought from Heliguy. I don't think I need worry about losing my FPV signal, anyway :).

What controller and antenna are you using to reach 1500m? The stock DJI controller with the short rubber duck antenna?

I flew out to 1500 feet (USA here) (~450m) with the stock rubber ducks on the FPV, but replaced that with dual cloverleafs and a small panel. 1 cloverleaf on P2 1 on monitor, and the flat panel on monitor and was able to get to 2500 feet (~760m) before getting static. This with the 600mw VTX.

Does a lower frequency channel on the 5.8Ghz video get better range?

I also have been getting "motor noise" static bars in the FPV monitor.

WCSpectre

WCSpectre said:
What controller and antenna are you using to reach 1500m? The stock DJI controller with the short rubber duck antenna?

I flew out to 1500 feet (USA here) (~450m) with the stock rubber ducks on the FPV, but replaced that with dual cloverleafs and a small panel. 1 cloverleaf on P2 1 on monitor, and the flat panel on monitor and was able to get to 2500 feet (~760m) before getting static. This with the 600mw VTX.

Does a lower frequency channel on the 5.8Ghz video get better range?

I also have been getting "motor noise" static bars in the FPV monitor.

WCSpectre

Im not sure who you are asking. If its me. Im using an unmodified stock controller. You cant change the antenna on the controller as far as i know. When I say unmodified I'm referring to control functions. Folks have got a lot more than that!

Your 2nd para refers to fpv. My Rx has a Horizon nimrod and a helical all matched with a Horizon Nimrod on the irc600 tx. I know both the controller and fpv will do much more.

25mW is the UK limit on 5.8GHz, even if you have a ham licence. The only way to get higher power is to use PMSE (Broadcasting and special events) frequencies and apply for the hugely expensive licence...

noiseboy72 said:
25mW is the UK limit on 5.8GHz, even if you have a ham licence. The only way to get higher power is to use PMSE (Broadcasting and special events) frequencies and apply for the hugely expensive licence...

It's strange that if you look at the UK websites of the main dealers for these things, they all offer enormously more powerful transmitters, and nowhere on the sites does it tell you that 25mW is the legal limit. Is using a more powerful transmitter likely to cause interference to other users of the frequency?

I think Ofcom are playing it a bit safe personally, especially as 25mW is near enough unusable without some serious rf knowledge and a very good receiver.

I guess they are concerned that from 1000', you can get some serious range in the right conditions. The fact is though, most users are a lot lower than this and the chances of interference are minimal.

The smallest TX I could see advertised on a couple of UK sites was 100mW, with 250mW & 600mW easy to get - even operating on illegal frequencies above 5850MHz.

There are very few other users of these frequencies and only fraction of them would ever be affected by this sort of low power, localised interference, but there is no current plan to increase power.

I said earlier in the thread that at least, with such a powerful transmitter, I shouldn't have any video issues, but in fact I do :(. Flying outward is fine, but when I turn to come back again, the picture really breaks up. It's pretty obvious why this is: my video transmitter is mounted behind the gimbal, at the back of the Phantom, and my cloverleaf antenna is completely hidden by the gimbal when the Phantom is coming directly at me.

Any suggestions for how to fix this? Use a different antenna? This is the one I'm currently using:

http://www.heliguy.com/DJI-Innovations/ ... f-Antenna/

Harry, I have mine out the side and level with the skid. I get no drop out on a turn

Thanks - I'll see if I can turn the transmitter through 90 degrees so the antenna is at the side rather than the back.

One additional question: am I correct in believing that I should bend my cloverleaf into a right angle so it points downwards, rather than sticking straight out?

I have mine bent at right angles straight down and no probs

Same with mine. It hangs down between the legs and only drops out a little if right overhead. Otherwise, rock solid.

I use one cloverleaf and one helical on the receiver and this seems to work well.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl