Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

contact cleaning

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision Discussion' started by assamite1984, Jul 22, 2014.

1. assamite1984

hey, just wondering whats the best way and things to use to clean the contacts in the phantom that the battery connects too

noticed some black markings starting to appear now from sliding the battery on and off the connectors so i want to clean them off to avoid any sudden power loss while in the air

cheers.

2. Geoelectro

Perhaps somewhat controversial but I use a typewriter eraser to slightly burnish the surface. Controversial in that these surfaces are plated and any burnishing can cause the plating to come off. That said, a very light burnishing on occasion shouldn't cause any problems. What's a typewriter eraser?. (Google)
    Secondly, you must clean after the eraser to eliminate any eraser crumbs that might be left. You can use household alcohol. After that I apply a light coating of contact cleaner. I use DeOxit D-5.

I also suggest not to overdue this. Maybe after every 3-5 flights.

Recently I did the eraser job but didn't clean it after. During the next flight I got an error saying "battery communication error, fly carefully" about that time it fell out of the sky with no power from 80'! Now, with the follow up of cleaning I've had no further problems.

Geo

3. RCRookie

+1 on Geo's response

4. assamite1984

im guessing i have to spray it on a cotton bud or something as i cant just spray it directly on the contacts

5. ProfessorStein

The DeOxit I bought is not a spray... and came with several synthetic, non-cotton swabs... seemed to be the way to go.

6. Happyflyer

Geoelectro,
    I got a real good :lol: when you put that in there. Or you may have been asked, "What's a typewriter?"
    About as bad as telling young people about an 8 track tape player. :)