Considering getting filters ?

dec

Reaction score
For anyone curious of the effect of the filter, take a look at the video and see if the results are obvious. I'm NOT affiliated with the biz, nor trying to push Amazon products. Pics used in the video are just to show what I used on the P3P to make the video. The cuts are UNEDITED (color,size, etc...) except for the trim length. Sorry it ran a bit long and no music included . . . pretty much just filters at work on a nice sunset. I can't wait to see the results in bright daylight, bright subject. If there's interest I may make a similar one in bright environment. Hope this helps ~

Not impressed with the filter effects at all.

I've bought a filter set recently but not used yet. I'm no expert but from the limited research I've done, I think filters allow you better results when also adjusting ISO and exposure settings. From a quick view of this video, all I note is a gradual darkening with each filter but presumably no adjustments made to the settings.

Filters are essential if you have high dynamic range scenes such as sunsets where you need to have detail in the shadows while not over-exposing the highlights of the sun. Once highlights are blown there is no detail to be recovered whereas most modern image sensors have a great amount of detail in shadow areas. This test doesn't impress the people who just take what they get from the camera, but if you post process your images then this shows that the filters are preserving the highlights in the sunset in order to be able to balance the lighting in the scene in post processing. If you want to provide instruction and help people like 4wd you might add to this (or link a second video) that shows what this does for post production.

Reactions: dec
Filters are essential if you have high dynamic range scenes such as sunsets where you need to have detail in the shadows while not over-exposing the highlights of the sun. Once highlights are blown there is no detail to be recovered whereas most modern image sensors have a great amount of detail in shadow areas. This test doesn't impress the people who just take what they get from the camera, but if you post process your images then this shows that the filters are preserving the highlights in the sunset in order to be able to balance the lighting in the scene in post processing. If you want to provide instruction and help people like 4wd you might add to this (or link a second video) that shows what this does for post production.
All the NDs do is allow a slower shutter speed - not what you are suggesting.
The only real benefit is somewhat less jerky footage in bright conditions.

I use ND filters and as we have bright sun light in California, ND 8 and ND 16 are frequently needed. I even go upto ND 32 sometimes.

Reactions: dec

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl