Connection To Phantom Failed

Reaction score
Hi guys I am new to all this, I bought a sceond hand Vision 2, when I bought it all was working well, from what I checked, I have not flown the plane yet.
My problem started when I changed the extender, I got two extenders with it, one normal one and one that had been moded with the tp-link aerial mod.
I got the moded extender to bind to the plane but could not see any live video on my Iphone 6, I could before I swapped the extenders. I now get the message "Connection to the Phantom Failed".

I have read many posts on the board and it seems to be a regular error thats occurring, like I have said I tried all the things suggested on here but still can't get it to work, I even put the original extender back on and re-bound that to the camera with the same error showing.

When I start the app it shows a blue extender icon, and the wifi is blue , but after 15 seconds the wifi icon just greys out and up pops the error.
I have nothing else live on my phone, I can't see a live picture or any telemetry, the camera light is green and it moves if I move the plane around, the camera buttons are greyed out as well.

Anybody any ideas or tips, I have read some posts that point to the firmware, but mine was working before I messed with it.

see screen shot below.

thanks Mick
IMG_0662.PNG

You're new, so I'll assume you know almost nothing about how this stuff works.

You say it worked fine when you got it. FPV worked fine as far as you could tell, though you didn't fly.

Then you decided to change extenders. So you binded the other extender successfully.

Now you're getting nothing.

It might be something real simple. It's possible your phone is locked onto the wrong wifi signal.

Is there a signal coming from the extender? Look at the wifi list on your phone. It will show all the wifi in the area. You must choose one. One of the choices is Phantomxxxxxx. If you don't see Phantomxxxxxx on your phone's wifi list, your extender is not transmitting a signal.

If you do see it, choose it. Your phone should now use that signal and ignore the other wifi signals.

Go into the phantom asst app and see what you see. Let us know what happens

You're new, so I'll assume you know almost nothing about how this stuff works.

You say it worked fine when you got it. FPV worked fine as far as you could tell, though you didn't fly.

Then you decided to change extenders. So you binded the other extender successfully.

Now you're getting nothing.

It might be something real simple. It's possible your phone is locked onto the wrong wifi signal.

Is there a signal coming from the extender? Look at the wifi list on your phone. It will show all the wifi in the area. You must choose one. One of the choices is Phantomxxxxxx. If you don't see Phantomxxxxxx on your phone's wifi list, your extender is not transmitting a signal.

If you do see it, choose it. Your phone should now use that signal and ignore the other wifi signals.

Go into the phantom asst app and see what you see. Let us know what happens

Hi Marknmd thanks for your reply, yes I am new to it all but have been reading the forum for the last two days since I had my problem, below is a screen shot from my phone, this is the network I am connected to, its the only one that shows up in my list on my iphone.

Yes it did work until I swapped the extenders, I could not get the the moded extender to bind at first because I was doing it wrong, so I connected the original extender back on to plane to see if I still had video, and I did, I could see it from my phone.

So I tried again with the moded extender and got this to rebind ok, but thats when I got the error about failed connection. So I thought it might be a duff extender and swapped the original extender back on to the plane but then still got the failed to connect error, and thats where I am up to now.

Just to note I was told the battery in the moded extender had gone bad, thats why it was not on the plane, so I swapped the battery from the original one to the moded one, and then back to orininal extender when that did not work.

I am getting all the right light showing on the wifi but now I am stumped to what is the cause.

Just noticed that the camera light is solid green, according to the manual its powered on but wifi not connected, so my wifi is not connected to my camera?.

Flack

IMG_0663.PNG

Marknmd

Last edited:
What version iOS are you running. I have read that here are issues with the app crashing when Bluetooth is on.

Has anybody got an older version of the app I could try to see if that works, I have searched but could not find anything.

Flack

Hi flack
Im on my third extender, due to battery probs, i have brand new extender and having same problem as you and its driving me mad, so i cant help ive contacted dji so hope they can help, if i have any joy i will get back to you,

Me again.... i take it when you rebound extender you used QR code

Yes Andy I have tried loads of times with same result... I need to find an old version of the app and see if its that. I have tried it with daughters Andriod phone and that does the same.

Hi, i cant get mine to go, ive contacted dji, not had much luck with them yet, i have noticed on my cam there is no green light, and i cant remember weather it ever came on does it on yours

Hi, i cant get mine to go, ive contacted dji, not had much luck with them yet, i have noticed on my cam there is no green light, and i cant remember weather it ever came on does it on yours

Yes my camera light is Green, it flashes orange when first switched on and then stays green, I even stripped mine down last night and checked all the connections in the bird and all was ok.
I just get nothing at all when I select camera from the app, I see the wifi signal turn to blue for about 15 secs, but not all the time, then it greys out. There is no telemetry info at all on the screen just the error failed to connect to Phantom..

Good luck with DJI, there record of help is not good..

Hai all, i come in with the same problem. For me everything is working:
Telemetriedate, foto and video taken oke but no live view.
Does anyone know where i can vind older apps to try on my ipad or iphone? Maybe that will help...
With apple i can only download the newest version.
Anyone any other idea?

Ok guys now fixed, I stripped the camera down further like J Dot suggested and found one of the cables going to righthand side wifi board has come off,It was hard to see without moving the top circuit board, I think the last owner must have crashed this bird with the gimble pin being broke and now the wire. I now have my video showing on my phone :cool::D,

Happy days just need the weather to calm down and I can try my first flight.

Ok guys now fixed, I stripped the camera down further like J Dot suggested and found one of the cables going to righthand side wifi board has come off,It was hard to see without moving the top circuit board, I think the last owner must have crashed this bird with the gimble pin being broke and now the wire. I now have my video showing on my phone :cool::D,

Happy days just need the weather to calm down and I can try my first flight.
Thats good to hear

Hi All, and yes I am only several weeks into the phantoms. I obtained a Phantom 2 vision and I guess it's my turn with a similar problem. Camera light blinks slow red and the manual shows that as CMOS error. Anyone know the cure for this ? I have tried many things but then again I am still on the new side. I first got a for parts or repair phantom fc40 complete kit and case etc. and through looking it over discovered it was a bad motor. I changed it and works great, but no camera. Then I bought this phantom 2 vision ( parts or repair deal ) would not arm. The cause came down to the compass cable wire being plugged into the main board. I had to unplug it from the main control board and go directly to the GPS. Problem solved, took for a flight and all it great. Still can't get far with the camera. App shows wifi connected for a short time 15 secs or so and failed to connect to phantom appears.
Any and all help is appreciated in advance.
Thanks

Hi Daveloves, if you read my posts above, I had this error and it was down to a wire off in the camera, but I did not have a red led on the camera, first thing I would do is upgrade/reflash the camera firmware and see if that helps, and are you sure you have bound the extender to the camera with the right code.

Mick

Hi All, and yes I am only several weeks into the phantoms. I obtained a Phantom 2 vision and I guess it's my turn with a similar problem. Camera light blinks slow red and the manual shows that as CMOS error. Anyone know the cure for this ? I have tried many things but then again I am still on the new side. I first got a for parts or repair phantom fc40 complete kit and case etc. and through looking it over discovered it was a bad motor. I changed it and works great, but no camera. Then I bought this phantom 2 vision ( parts or repair deal ) would not arm. The cause came down to the compass cable wire being plugged into the main board. I had to unplug it from the main control board and go directly to the GPS. Problem solved, took for a flight and all it great. Still can't get far with the camera. App shows wifi connected for a short time 15 secs or so and failed to connect to phantom appears.
Any and all help is appreciated in advance.
Thanks
Hi, there is an app that boost range extender, its £6.99 i can get up to 1300 feet out and well over 1000 feet up hope this might help, before i was getting 400 feet

Hi Daveloves, if you read my posts above, I had this error and it was down to a wire off in the camera, but I did not have a red led on the camera, first thing I would do is upgrade/reflash the camera firmware and see if that helps, and are you sure you have bound the extender to the camera with the right code.

Mick
Hi Flack, Thanks for the reply. Yes I did read it as well as the last few pages that got me to your messages. In fact after reading it I just removed the bottom of my camera and looked at the couple ribbon cables, visible but could not really see much of the second one. ( lower cable) I have not removed my camera yet and was hoping not to get to that point. Looks very complex with layers of boards.. Is there any videos online of breaking one of these down or any camera electronics layout papers? I will try a couple other things but let me know if your cable fix was from the top of the camera or the bottom? Thanks again for any further help.

Hi again, I forgot to mention something and that is yes I pointed my cell camera that the scan on the bottom of the p2v and it picked it up right away.. So back to the red light on the camera. Not sure why it is red unless that means it is not connected. There was a post I read the other day and it said there should be a connection between the remote and the p2v even without using the wifi extender. I tired to turn off the extender and within 15 or 20 seconds I lost my wifi connection on the phone. It does show my phantomxxxx on the app and shows the wifi connection but in a short time after trying to access the camera it shows failed to connect and the wifi goes gray. I will try to re-flash the camera software.. not sure what else to do. I will never give up until I get this right.

quick update: Still have the red blinking light. Camera will not update the firmware. It fails to change over the name of the firmware as instructed. Also if I turn off the camera is still moves up and down depending on the movement of the quad. Is this normal? I think it all starts with finding out what the red light means, surly needs to be green.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl