Confusion about operating temperatures

Reaction score
According to manual, operating temperature on all equipment, apart from the battery is 0-40 degr C.
Battery is rated down to -10

From manual
Skjermbilde 2017-01-07 kl. 12.00.18.png

So, you can fly the battery in environments down to -10, but not the rest of the equipment?

Nitpicking maybe, but im more concerned about warranty and its validity in case something goes wrong below 0 degr.

How should we relate to this?

From my own experience and other RC crafts, it shouldnt be any problem as long as you keep the battery warm until flight, and then let the motors run for a minute or two before TO.

Still.. the warranty stuff in this particular case...

Reactions: Sunnaroe
Per the Phantom manual:

"Refer to Phantom 4 Pro/Pro+ Intelligent Flight Battery Safety Guidelines before use. Users take full responsibility for all operations and usage."

The Battery Safety Guidelines states the following:

"The battery should be used in temperatures from -10°C to 40°C. Use of the battery in environments above 50°C can lead to a fire or explosion. Use of battery below -10°C can lead to permanent damage."

The DJI warranty states the following in the "What This After-Sales Policy Does NOT Cover" section:

"Damage caused by flights which did not follow the instruction manual recommendations"

While it's technically possible to fly in cold weather conditions by following tips like these, these, or these, DJI most likely will not cover any damage caused by operating outside of their recommendations. If you have any doubts about the DJI warranty, you should discuss them directly with DJI.

I have flown in -19 celcius. The battery was above 25 degrees the whole time. Should I still be concerned about permanent damage?

While it's technically possible to fly in cold weather conditions by following tips like these, these, or these, DJI most likely will not cover any damage caused by operating outside of their recommendations. If you have any doubts about the DJI warranty, you should discuss them directly with DJI.

Exactly, so anything that might happen below 0 degr C is not covered by the warranty, as far as i read it.
I could ask Dji customer service, but i tend to get different answers for each time i ask such questions, so i dont trust them.
In the end, if it comes to a warranty claim, they will probably refer to the manual, disregarding what the customer service told you, unless youre good at convincing them that they also "approved" flying down to -10 since its also be referred to in the manual.

I flew my old A123 in -20, they can take a beat from almost anything down to -40, but i wouldnt recommend using Lipos in those temperatures.

On my phantom 4 I constantly get warnings regarding The battery temperature needing to be above 15°C and telling me to warm it up before I launch. My P4Pro has yet to lock me out of take off but it has warned me, I hope it doesn't fall out of the sky because of a cold battery.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

During winter, i assign my C2 to button to the battery menu, that way i can quickly check the batt temp now and then. Below 0 air temp, it should keep well above 20 C, if it starts to drop from that, i would be careful.

Reactions: Dronefriend

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl