Confused on how far I can fly; scared to push it too far (see pic)

I forgot its a forum, we aren't suppose to have opinions, BUT THANKS for your opinion :rolleyes:
Your missing the point here, your post says something about keeping it under 400' but that is not the case in many parts of the world. And comparing not doing so has anything to do with murder or attempt murder makes no sense. And personal I think any opinions in a thread should be on topic, not used to criticize other for flying too high or too far away or whatever. IMHO

Both of you.
Lighten up Francis.jpg

Rod :)

Hey if you are getting those constant "strong interference detected" on the app after the lastest firmware, most likely a glitch what i did, deleted DJI App and reinstalled it...

there is one thing that nobody has mentioned, I noted that my buddy was doing the same and complaining that he couldn't fly far with his P3P, he had his antennas pointing at the quad instead of the flat sides facing the quad, he couldn't believe the difference when he done it correctly, maybe that's the problem

What is the device you are using for the DJI GoAPP?

If it is Android, and more specifically, a Galaxy (S5, S6 or S7) might be the reason for the interference, connection lose, etc.

I had to get rid of my Galaxy and buy a different Android device

When calibrating a Phantom, just make certain that you do it in a nice fluid motion. Any jerky movements will often crash the calibration and you'll have to start again. Calibrate by turning the whole body with aircraft in hand, then just tilt it downward and turn your body again in a smooth motion.

I only ever had one failed calibration and that was because I stumbled and jerked the aircraft.

Good luck, trying it again.

Bud

I went on vacation and used my drone in two places, one over the ocean in Daytona Beach and then one on Lookout Mountain in TN. In both instances, my drone didn't get more than 75M either up or away from me, both times I got the "watch out, major interference." Now, it was super windy at the beach so maybe that was my problem. I even "lost GPS" signal for a little bit...which scared me to death because I couldn't see it. Maybe the wind was the issue there (would love some guidelines on when to fly a drone and when not to!), but at Lookout Mountain it was a clear, beautiful day and I couldn't so much as go 50M up or away from me without getting warnings. Why? Am I over-reacting? Are you comfortable flying it in anything other than GPS mode?

The end result? I'm afraid to fly my drone to the extent it can be used. I don't know how far is too far. It's really limiting my ability to use it and I'm curious if anyone can point me in a direction of where I can learn more about flying it. Even further, I still have never been able to calibrate it. I get it to do it horizontally, but as soon as it flips the photo on the phone (vertical, I believe) it won't calibrate...but it always finds my home spot or whatever it is called and uses GPS. I don't understand it.

Lastly, to give you an idea of how far out I can go until I get the "watch for interference, weak signal" warning, I've attached a pic of Lookout Mountain that I took. I don't know if it is good or not?

Thanks for any direction/feedback.

Skyview in the Lou

OK,
I give up,
I'm removing this from my watch list,
If I was a mod,
I would close it.

:rolleyes:

Rod

Thanks everyone for the replies; I had no idea there were so many or I would have written back. I don't know what "OP" stands for, or much of the other lingo you guys use, but if that's me, I apologize for not responding.

Yes, I was having a problem calibrating, but only the second step. The first step works fine, finds the home area or whatever and I've only flown via GPS (as I surely don't have the confidence to fly in atti mode or anything else). Again, though, it's not been a problem, even lost signal once and had it return to home with no problem. I watched another video on it and will try doing it differently the second time. As is often the case, the error usually resides in the operator (me), not the unit.

As for the app, I don't know how to tell which version it is. I downloaded it about 2 months ago on my iPhone. Works fine. If you tell me where to look, I'll check it out.

As for the interference, flew it again over the weekend, and once again, it was windy (10-15mph?). And, once again, I finally got a "Weak signal" again flying it out over a river in the middle of nowhere, at about 75m up. I get so scared I just bring it down and bring it home, as I don't want to lose the thing. I just for the life of me don't know how people fly this thing 400ft in the air.

Lastly, I am confused about one thing: A post above said the FCC requires constant site of the unit. I didn't know that. I'm not a professional (surprise) but I was not aware we had to see it all times. Now, I can't get the thing to go above 75M without an "interference" signal so it's never left my site, but thinks for posting that fact.

Thanks again everyone. This forum is super helpful.

Reactions: sgarrand
OP is you, Original Post or Original Poster. :)
AACU = Acronyms & Abbreviations Commonly Used
With everything connected, in the app look for about. It will show you your app version, and Phantoms Firmware Version.
The FCC stuff obvious has nothing to do with fixing your problem.
Worry about that when your BFC (Bird Flies Correctly). ;)

Rod

Last edited:
Not hating, just think other hobbyist should keep their opinions to themselves with regards to which guidelines are followed unless the thread is on this topic specifically. We have members in the community from all around the world under very different laws of the land, not to mention some in the states fly as hobbyist and others within the rules of flying commercially. These have two different sets of rules and guideline to go by under the FCC. One size does not fit all.

Your comment is misleading, OP clearly stated he was flying within the US, that's the reason for my comment. Just saying how someone will feel if flying a drone out of sight and suddenly it goes out of control and hits a plane or helicopter and causes a fatal accident. Hope he get the guts of raising his hands when the feds come knocking his door....

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

:rolleyes:

Reactions: RodPad
If it is too windy stay home....a good guide 0-15 no problem, 15-20 doable but fly into wind only, 20+ nope fly at own risk.
I live on Kaua'i. If I waited for <15 mph wind I would never fly. Most of my 115 flights are in the 20-30 mph range. So far wind has not been a problem for me.

I am the same as the OP, nervous flying that is! I keep it within line of sight and push the boundaries further each time I fly, I have had my PS3 for over two months and have never flown over water yet, each time I take it out I feel confident about the water thing but bottle out when I am at on site. Every time something happens, like once I flew too low ( It wasn't low from the take off point but yep forgot about the changing terrain...big lesson learn't here!) and lost it for a while, I searched the video on my phone to see where it went down and found it! This put me back a couple of steps but I am slowly building up again...bottom line? I am enjoying it, its a great hobby as long as I follow the rules and of course my own rules.

Last edited:
Yes, thanks for those pointers, but what about at Lookout Mountain? It was gorgeous and I got it at like 50M. I posted the picture to give you an idea how far I was able to go - not far at all.

Would be nice to sneak inside and take a look at mouth of ruby falls. Or hover over the inclined railroad in follow mode. Down only since going up it would complain it is flying to high, and refuse to finish the flight probably.

I am the same as the OP, nervous flying that is! I keep it within line of sight and push the boundaries further each time I fly, I have had my PS3 for over two months and have never flown over water yet, each time I take it out I feel confident about the water thing but bottle out when I am at on site. Every time something happens, like once I flew too low ( It wasn't low from the take off point but yep forgot about the changing terrain...big lesson learn't here!) and lost it for a while, I searched the video on my phone to see where it went down and found it! This put me back a couple of steps but I am slowly building up again...bottom line? I am enjoying it, its a great hobby as long as I follow the rules and of course my own rules.

I became a lot more nervous after drowning mine- I was flying along a river, photographing the bank so flying sideways, when I collected some low hanging branches that I didn't see, a good 200- 250 or so metres away.
Anyway it landed in the river near the bank, and luckily the battery was ejected either as it hit the water or perhaps when it hit a log just under the water which it landed on. That, and the fact it was fresh (flowing) water saved me. I raced along to roughly where it hit the water and swam across and found it immediately.
Anyway after a good two days of drying out incl disassembling the camera and gimbal, plus quite some hours in front of a fan heater, I nervously plugged in the battery and all was well.

It has since done dozens of flights and has suffered no noticeable ill effects whatsoever.
What hasn't recovered so well is my confidence! Slowly working up but definitely not where it was prior to the crash, nowhere near as confident as I was previously.....

As for interference - I get waaaay better range when away from the built up area, with lots of interference messages and far less range flying in the city as opposed to country areas.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart