Compressor stalling during transcoding!!

Reaction score
Hey all,

I usually like to transcode my footage into ProRes 422 in Compressor before taking it into Final Cut Pro X. I also like cutting out the parts I don't need/want so I'm generally only taking usable transcoded footage into the NLE.

But Compressor is not working for my phantom 4 pro footage!! (I also use GoPro and Panasonic GH4 with NO issues transcoding at all).

I tried a few phantom clips the first time and it stalled right at the end of the first clip. The completion bar is full but it does not go "complete" it just sits indefinitely saying "processing". I have since tried a job with just 1 clip. Same issue.

I tried downgrading the 4K footage to 1080 and same issue.

I have tried one tip I found online which was clicking in the settings Advanced > Reset Queue > Repair Compressor.
No luck!!!

Any ideas folks??

Why are you bothering pulling it through compressor before FCPX?

When you import to FCPX you can set it to 'create optimised media' which i think transcodes anyway.

Either way it's the way I've worked since FCPX was released and never had issues.

As I said it's convenient to cut out parts of clips I don't want or need and transcode at the same time. The end result is footage I'm 100% going to use and saves scrubbing clips in final cut for the parts of clips!!

Are you recording in .265? I know a lot of systems/software has issues with .265, as it is so new.

Reactions: inkytog
As I said it's convenient to cut out parts of clips I don't want or need and transcode at the same time. The end result is footage I'm 100% going to use and saves scrubbing clips in final cut for the parts of clips!!

Trim the clips in the import window?

Are you recording in .265? I know a lot of systems/software has issues with .265, as it is so new.

Compressor won't handle it at all.

Surely the time it takes you to select the clips you want in compressor then wait for the transcode is a longer process than direct import to FCPX and you can begin editing immediately.

Also what if you need more 'handles' on the footage from compressor. You'd need to redo the files.

A pro workflow would be to do the whole thing in FCP. You're actually adding an extra step.

No it's all .264 footage.

Yes it might be a strange method to some but I just find it more organised and tidy to bring in exactly what I want.

To be perfectly honest I've never noticed you can trim clips on import into final cut so maybe I'll check that out.

Also with reference to processing times in Compressor - it takes a long time to background process when selecting optimised media in final cut as well and basically working while that is happening is terrible. It's much of a muchness.

It does bother me now I know this bug exists though so I'd really love to fix it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl