Complaint Vent and Concerns

.... And your right with 8 up at one time the odds go up of a strike. ...

That's EXACTLY what I was talking about. 8 uncoordinated (I assume), potentially inexperienced operators, flying in close proximity to each other, and flying near the fireworks AT NIGHT! Yes I can see a whole lot of bad happening there.

Keep in mind that if something had happened in the air with so many people there who may already be "Drone Haters" you can bet your bottom dollar the stories of risk, danger, near decapitations etc would be in all the headlines.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
That's EXACTLY what I was talking about. 8 uncoordinated (I assume), potentially inexperienced operators, flying in close proximity to each other, and flying near the fireworks AT NIGHT! Yes I can see a whole lot of bad happening there.

Keep in mind that if something had happened in the air with so many people there who may already be "Drone Haters" you can bet your bottom dollar the stories of risk, danger, near decapitations etc would be in all the headlines.

Is it a common problem where you live that people stand directly under massive fireworks displays? Where I live you have to be hundreds of yards away to avoid falling debris. Not sure how anyone would be hit by falling drones unless they were directly under the fireworks.

Is it a common problem where you live that people stand directly under massive fireworks displays? Where I live you have to be hundreds of yards away to avoid falling debris. Not sure how anyone would be hit by falling drones unless they were directly under the fireworks.

Please explain to me where at any time I mentioned anything about hitting people, directly under fireworks etc? I just said people would be there (as in watching the fireworks which is what I was referring to)

The mere fact of UAS colliding mid-air with so many there to potentially witness was my intention. Please don't try to put words into my statements that aren't there and were never intended to be in there.

First, I understand how you feel, but ( Here it comes), this is perfectly legal for recreational hobby fliers, ans as far as "selfish"? I'm not sure that is the correct term to use in that instance. Most if not all hobby fliers most enjoy the rare opportunity to get those kinds of video's and photo's. As I said, I understand how you feel about it and there really is no right or wrong answer. And, more governmental restrictions will only add frustration to existing hobby fliers. Not saying that there could not be some, but it tends to get overly confusing to the average hobbyist. And no, I did not fly for the fireworks display in my area, I'm just making a brief response with a few thoughts.
i think selfish and inconsiderate are suitable.

Please explain to me where at any time I mentioned anything about hitting people, directly under fireworks etc? I just said people would be there (as in watching the fireworks which is what I was referring to)

The mere fact of UAS colliding mid-air with so many there to potentially witness was my intention. Please don't try to put words into my statements that aren't there and were never intended to be in there.

So the "whole lot of bad" that you were referring too in that post was...two tiny drones may crash into each other and plummet silently to the ground with nobody around? I stand corrected sir, that WOULD be horrifying and ruin the show for me too.

So the "whole lot of bad" that you were referring too in that post was...two tiny drones may crash into each other and plummet silently to the ground with nobody around? I stand corrected sir, that WOULD be horrifying and ruin the show for me too.

Well aren't you just adding a lot of "vacuum" to this thread.

I fully believe that a UAS collision at such a public event would be highly sensationalized and make the headlines and lead story across the nation. Yes in reality very little "real" damage would happen but the media would have a freaking field day with it and drone opponents would be shouting "Told you so" from the mountain tops.

Is it a common problem where you live that people stand directly under massive fireworks displays?

For the record, where I live the fireworks are shot out over a local lake with nothing to damage but H2O... never the less the reputation harm to our industry would be a whole other story. End of discussion.

Well aren't you just adding a lot of "vacuum" to this thread.

I fully believe that a UAS collision at such a public event would be highly sensationalized and make the headlines and lead story across the nation. Yes in reality very little "real" damage would happen but the media would have a freaking field day with it and drone opponents would be shouting "Told you so" from the mountain tops.

For the record, where I live the fireworks are shot out over a local lake with nothing to damage but H2O... never the less the reputation harm to our industry would be a whole other story. End of discussion.

Do you REALLY think ANYONE would notice two tiny drones from hundreds of feet away or even hundreds of yards away crashing into each other at night while a major fireworks display is going on? Im pretty sure there wouldn't be any explosions and if there were the people would have no clue it wasn't fireworks.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
As long as they collided a good distance from people I don't think there would be much repercussion from it. Especially in a smaller town. But if it happened in the city ok maybe. But to be honest even with 8 Phantoms in the air at one time is gonna be pretty rare to actually hit one another. It could happen though. But it would rare imo. Most would not even hear anything unless they saw them fall pretty close to them. But I have flown with 3-4 in the air at one time and not had an issue at all. Of course we talk to each other. But still these things are tiny. It would be rare to accidentally hit another one in mid-air! I also feel like news organizations are trying to avoid any negative news about drones more and more too. Because they want to use them themselves for the news. Drones are gonna be the hip thing eventually! LMAO!

This is the kind of mindset that will eventually ground everybody's drone everywhere except way out in the sticks somewhere looking for footage of big foot. Seriously? If this hobby is ever going to succeed, there has to be some thimble of personal responsibility. And as long as we have the group of people that take the position of "If there is a guy who wants to fly in the path of a jumbo jet on an approach at an airport, there is no much you can do to stop him", we r [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] doomed! I daily curse DJI and there implementation of expanding NFZs, locking down there software to prevent against hackers, and current Federal, State, and local legislation to limit or totally eliminate drone flights. However, can u really blame them as long as you have this element of moronic flight behavior? Bottom line, start the clock boys and girls and enjoy your drones while you can because the "drinking and driving/texting and driving" no matter what you say gaggle are hell bent on destroying this hobby for their enjoyment at the moment at the expense of the rest of us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you REALLY think ANYONE would notice two tiny drones from hundreds of feet away or even hundreds of yards away crashing into each other at night while a major fireworks display is going on? Im pretty sure there wouldn't be any explosions and if there were the people would have no clue it wasn't fireworks.
Yes.

On a related note, keep in mind there are current legislative works underway to give local jurisdictions controls over drones such as time and place of flying. So while it may technically be "legal" to fly a drone at night, in close proximity to explosives (what happens when they go down on top of the launching tubes?) and other drones right now, it will remain so until enough people engage in enough foolish behavior for legislators to say "enough."

The bit that concerns me is flying *through* the fireworks. Without knowing the location or the setup or the distance from spectators, a drone being hit by a shell at the wrong altitude or a spinning prop screwing up the integrity of a shell could plausibly change the trajectory of what is essentially a big 'ole explosive ordinance. I dunno, is it a high probability of a happening? No. But that gets to the risk-impact factor to me, personally. I just can't see how, in particular at a public show, that is a reasonable risk and I wouldn't do it.

I did fly and take some clips and photos of a local fireworks show this week. But I located myself a ways off in the distance in a field and had a path over wooded areas to get to a cemetary next to the hill from which they were launched. And until the show started and I knew precisely where they were going, I stayed about 3,000' away.

If I had had to launch next to the show or hover over a crowd, I would not have flown. Not going to comment on the 8 drones bit - I think that's just a bit too uncertain to get into an argument over one way or the other myself.

Blah, I guess in the end I agree with the basic sentiment of people should really think a bit more, if not all of the reasons that prompted everyone in this thread to feel that way!

PS Thanks for the mostly good discussion, though. It's nice to have some folks to have good chats about this kind of thing - sometimes talking it through with others is the best way to figure out your own thoughts (and evolve them!).

Stupid gets bad things happening for sure! But I still think drones are gonna become a regular kind of thing to see all over the place. And be way more accepted as years go on. Yes, your gonna have accidents every year because of dumb flying and some because of equipment malfunction. Equipment malfunction being very low I'm sure. But I believe it will be more and more accepted as a positive thing after time. Once the numbers keep looking like it's very low to have a serious accident with injury or death, I feel like regulations will ease some for our hobby or business or whatever you want to call it. I hear you guys though. It could be dangerous for someone that doesn't know what theyre doing. And Lord knows we have all had our close calls. Def been there once! But then you learn and get better! I appreciate the calm talk about it too!

Reactions: DaRana

because a 'wounded drone' may not just fall out of the sky - it can easily cover a few hundred yards before it hits the deck. We lost a model helicopter (filming officially) at a show many years ago - hit by a 'rogue' firework, it knocked the radio link out and it was never seen again - our reckoning was it could have been anywhere in a 10 mile radius.

The problem with flying safely is that you have to go through all of the 'what ifs' and if there's even the slightest chance of something going wrong then you shouldn't fly. Unless you want to end up with someone else making rules on your behalf

Equipment malfunction being very low I'm sure.

I'm not so sure on that - just read the threads on here where things have gone wrong.....how many people admit to doing something stupid? It's nearly always DJI's fault :)

I'm not so sure on that - just read the threads on here where things have gone wrong.....how many people admit to doing something stupid? It's nearly always DJI's fault :)
I do! I def admit when I screw up. Especially if there is a chance to learn from it. But most do not I'm sure. LOL

I recorded the Philadelphia Fireworks on the Delaware River. I remained over the water and never crossed the police boat line below surrounding the barge that was firing. I was close enough and safe enough and I remained over water with nothing below me.

I agree, this is a shame. In France for such a kind of event you'd need to be registered as a professional and you have to request an authorization before flying in any urban area or near any event involving more than 10 people.
Anyone flying in a fireworks could be fined, have the drone confiscated and spend a few hours at the police station.

Oh and of course, for night flying you need a special authorization from the French FAA.

I do! I def admit when I screw up. Especially if there is a chance to learn from it. But most do not I'm sure. LOL

KevMo - the sign of a true professional. :) It can be really hard to admit it to yourself, in particular. When I crashed my Mavic my very first reaction was to try and find blame in a half dozen things. I was so mad at myself! But in doing a post crash eval I came to a few really important conclusions that have changed a few of my flight practices - which should result in a statistically significant decrease in horrific tree branch mutilations in the future. :screamcat: :mad: :rage::cry:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadiansauna