Common sense reminder - height and distance limit setting

Reaction score
This may help someone though it should be common sense we may forget about it.

Don't forget to be aware of the height and distance limits you set in the assistance software. I read recently about someone that was flying from a moving boat and the quadcopter would no longer move back toward the boat so he could land it. Instead it hovered over a stable spot over the water. If he wasn't in a boat where he had the option of going back under it then it would have remained there until battery ran out and it dropped into the water. This is because the distance the boat traveled had moved outside the original home point beyond the distance limit set in the software. You could imagine what would happen if you were on a moving cruise ship or something where you had no option to go back

I fly often over cliffs and rock formations. Usually I cut it somewhat close on fly overs knowing that I can raise it a bit higher to clear the rock. The other day I was flying over a rock formation that was up on a hill and I was down lower on a road. I couldn't get it to ascend higher then I realized it was because of the height limit I set. Luckily I realized this before I got in a close situation to the rock edge. :cool:

Re: Common sense reminder - height and distance limit settin

resetting the home point may have helped in that case... don't forget now you can dynamically make the Phantom reset it's home point at any time, so if the Phantom actually had hit it's limit, flipping the s2 switch a few times to reset it's home point would have given him whatever distance limit was set in the firmware from that point.

Or you can just crank your distance limit up to something like 2000 and not worry about hitting a limit.
keeping a HEIGHT limit of 120m will keep you legal in the US from a height perspective (400 ft agl)

I have 2 Phantom 1s. I have thought of doing a flight in the sticks from a moving vehicle. I was wondering how far I could go before hitting the limit wall and if I could change that in flight

Monte55 said:
I have 2 Phantom 1s. I have thought of doing a flight in the sticks from a moving vehicle. I was wondering how far I could go before hitting the limit wall and if I could change that in flight

I don't know enough about the P1's sorry... I'm assuming there is Assistant software where you can set the limits? just set your distance limit way high to something like 4000 or 5000

if you reach your distance limit... simply put S1 to Atti and keep flying. Distance limit only applies in GPS mode. The guy in the boat could have put it in atti and flown it to the boat.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl