Color mode & Dynamic Range

Same thing but with +4ev. OK it's horrible, but there's more details ;)

Interesting Yannick, but might what you're seeing not be explained by the fact that dcinelike is recording the same shadow detail at a higher IRE range than None? Try lifting the None +3ev and dcinelike +2ev (or such) and see if you don't get the exact same detail in the none footage.

Hmm.. one interesting test that hasn't been done yet would be to compare the P4P's dynamic range/shadow/highlight detail retention in the same scene in video (using whatever profile you'd like, but probably none at 0/0/0 would be a good starting point) against the dinamic range of a raw photo taken of the same scene using the same exposure. Perhaps the none profile already does a pretty good job of recording most/all the dynamic range the sensor can capture?

Interesting Yannick, but might what you're seeing not be explained by the fact that dcinelike is recording the same shadow detail at a higher IRE range than None? Try lifting the None +3ev and dcinelike +2ev (or such) and see if you don't get the exact same detail in the none footage.
I think it's the codec, but I may be out of league here. It is after all a very compressed codec. We do not know the parameters involved either. The absolute blacks 0-5 IRE may not be that good in preserving information. In this case one should use Cinelike when shooting night scenes.

Hmm.. one interesting test that hasn't been done yet would be to compare the P4P's dynamic range/shadow/highlight detail retention in the same scene in video (using whatever profile you'd like, but probably none at 0/0/0 would be a good starting point) against the dinamic range of a raw photo taken of the same scene using the same exposure. Perhaps the none profile already does a pretty good job of recording most/all the dynamic range the sensor can capture?
Interesting test, will try that to compare the RAW picture dynamic range vs the video dynamic range.

Okay so NONE for the complete flat look.

So, we are waiting for next firmware to fix the dLOG ?

Okay so NONE for the complete flat look.

So, we are waiting for next firmware to fix the dLOG ?

The "flat look" you are looking for is not available for Phantoms and has never been. I'm not sure you know why you want a flat look, as in high grade cinema camera footage, in the first place.

You think the flat look is good because it's pale. It's not. It's good because it allows for a wider range of highs and lows in 10bit material. The reasons for this wider range are not appliceable to the Phantom cameras, and no DJI cameras at all AFAIK. The D-Log is simply a gray, washed out image. With the only purpose to make you think it preserves information in critical areas, but it doesn't.

Reactions: Tomas Wangen
Thanks again Brian and Andrei for all the work you're sharing with the community. Much of it is admittedly way above my head :)

WRT DJI's useless implementation of D-log, are older generations of the Phantom (P3 models) affected, too, or is this something new with the P4P?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

The problems with D-Log and other modes only relate to the current P4P camera/encoder firmware. Attached are a set of shots taken with a P3P (latest firmware: V1.10.90 - 11/30/16 - it actually changed the log modes!).
The first set of three shots show a high-contrast clip taken in None, D-Log and D-Cinelike on a P3P at 4K/23fps. No grading at all.
The next two shots show the same D-Log and D-Cinelike clips with the DJI supplied Phantom3-DLog2SRGB LUT applied. No grading in addition to LUT.

NoneStyle000.jpg D-LogStyle000.jpg D-CinelikeStyle000.jpg D-Log-P3PDlog2DRGBLUT.jpg D-Cinelike-P3PDlog2DRGBLUT.jpg

The problems with D-Log and other modes only relate to the current P4P camera/encoder firmware. Attached are a set of shots taken with a P3P (latest firmware: V1.10.90 - 11/30/16 - it actually changed the log modes!).
The first set of three shots show a high-contrast clip taken in None, D-Log and D-Cinelike on a P3P at 4K/23fps. No grading at all.
The next two shots show the same D-Log and D-Cinelike clips with the DJI supplied Phantom3-DLog2SRGB LUT applied. No grading in addition to LUT.

View attachment 70661 View attachment 70662 View attachment 70663 View attachment 70664 View attachment 70665

Applying a slight s curve and a hint of saturation to the dlog sample here brought me quite close to the none sample which indicates that this is indeed a working dlog implementation. Here's hoping dji updates the p4p shortly!

Reactions: Dronefriend
Applying a slight s curve and a hint of saturation to the dlog sample here brought me quite close to the none sample which indicates that this is indeed a working dlog implementation. Here's hoping dji updates the p4p shortly!

I sure hope they will take care of that problem soon. I am looking forward to get my P4P in a couple of months. The clarity, dynamic range and resolution of the P4P camera are amazing! 1400 lines of resolution versus about (barely) 1000 on the P3P aside from about 3-4 stops increase in dynamic range.

heres some shots from the most recent fw, d cinelike -1,0,-3
very nice footage, John.
-3 seems to produce quite a soft image for me, so i m assuming you added any sharpening in the end?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peoplelogic