Cold Temp Flights : 14'F or -10 C.

Reaction score
I've been working on a project in snow country - and the weather has been pretty cold - between 12-18 degrees F. I needed to get some aerial footage so decided to try to fly in these temps.

Good news - have done 4 flights with temps at ground level of 14-18 degrees with no problems. The only issue is that the battery does drain faster but that is manageable.

I have a Vision + with the QR mod and a GoPro4. It all is working well - the FPV works fine as do the flight mechanics. The only problem piloting the drone were my numb fingers.

This may help others hoping to fly in the winter - the temp ratings that DJI has are clearly an rough estimate.

MT.

I flew around 20. I think dji said no less than 18 in the manual? Some of us can't wait 4 months till it warms up!

:?
Bbbbeeetweeen 18-25 F here. I'm seeing some low battery landing behavior when battery telemetry registers below 50%.
I do have the low battery land option clicked, I'm just seeing it happen way before 15% and the Klaxton at 30%. Keep an eye out for this!

I didn't even notice the recommended operating temperature. I've been flying all over in 5-12' weather this week without any issues.

devlspawn said:
I didn't even notice the recommended operating temperature. I've been flying all over in 5-12' weather this week without any issues.

Thats good to know - I'm wondering what the real minimum temp is.

Mike

Well you guys are a lot braver than I. The manual states that the phantom is not to be operated at a temp below 32. I have been chomping at the bit to get back up in the air but have been scared to since I now live in Michigan and it doesn't appear that it is going to be above freezing till July :)

I flew mine across a frozen lake yesterday at 22F. No problems at all.

I would caution however that below 32F if there is any moisture in the air be very careful. I was out one day in some light snow flying around my neighborhood and came back home and noticed an odd whistling sound from my bird. I set it down and once it was off I slid my fingers along the blades and a nice big sheet of ice came off the bottom of each blade. I have since waited for dryer conditions.

magicmethods said:
Well you guys are a lot braver than I. The manual states that the phantom is not to be operated at a temp below 32. I have been chomping at the bit to get back up in the air but have been scared to since I now live in Michigan and it doesn't appear that it is going to be above freezing till July :)
Where abouts in Michigan do you live magic?
magicmethods said:

Just took a short flight at -18°C. My fingers only lasted about 7 minutes before I had to warm up. Battery was at about 40%. Everything worked great. Here's a pic.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420492610.271512.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420492610.271512.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 506
One thing I noticed is that below - 13c or so the blades start to curve down towards the top of the unit and if it's cold enough can even start to hit it. Once that happens it starts to lose lift and can drop. Once they curve they stay that way and have to be replaced so be careful

Greetings,

I flew last night in 10 degree F and light snow conditions for about ten minutes with no issues. I did stay pretty close to the ground.

DJI's caution is probably due to the effect of cold on batteries, and perhaps on the software's lack of ability to compensate for this. The icing issue is common to all aircraft wings. I'm surprised that the rotors iced up during flight though. Some testing is in order, on the ground ....

-David

You guys are brave... I took it out in -10°C to test the unit, about 5 minutes on a clear dry day. It performed great but I still held my breathe for most of the flight :shock:

I went for a flight in Stowe, Vermont over New Years. One in the morning was 7 degrees. the one at the mountain was 11 degrees. I kept both batteries warm until ready for flight, and got great performance, the Phantom acted as if it was a Sunny 75 degree day.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYHV2VWwWN0[/youtube]

:D
Very nice DrJoe!
Keep making those great videos and family memories!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl