Clarification on Los Angeles drone ordinance

Reaction score
The other day I was flying over Griffith Park in Los Angeles, in a clear "green zone" as reported by Kittyhawk,io, and observing all my Part 107 guidelines (clear line of sight, below 400', daylight, not over people...) Two different traffic cops approached and one raised his voice to demand I land the drone. He insisted that there was a ordinance prohibiting flying in any city parks in Los Angeles. I politely told him he was misinformed, and that he was probably referring to the regulation regarding State Parks in California. He insisted again that I was in violation of some L.A.M.C. code, so I landed and went on my way. I have better things to do than get arrested for arguing with a traffic cop over his lack of airspace knowledge...

I can't seem to find any information about this supposed regulation on city parks. Anyone heard of this? Or was this just a case of a disgruntled power trip?

Yeah, LA Parks can run you off. Worst case is they arrest your like they did some other drone operator in 2014.

Look second from end of "Restricted Behavior" the Griffith Observatory website which is in Griffith Park:

Griffith Observatory - Helpful Guidelines

"Flying any kind of drone or remote-control aircraft is prohibited in all city parks." If you need to do it, you'll need a permit which I think starts at $660 per day out of FilmLA or their Parks Dept.

Fwiw, I know a professional model who got run out of the park along with a photographer as anything she does is considered commercial work with the laws there.

I think there are two sites where you can fly without cop intervention: Santa Fe Dam State Recreation Area, and the Whittier Narrows Community Regional Park.
Santa Fe Dam: (626) 334-1065
Whittier Narrows: (626) 575-5526

Welcome to Hollywood.

Thanks for the insight GMack. I see the source you've quoted here. Unfortunately, I still can't find any mention of an ordinance or law to backup this statement. Searching on LAparks.org doesn't yield any results. I understand if the Observatory building itself has some restrictions, but around the rest of the park... also they said "all city parks". There should be some more official record of this restriction than on one park's website.

Meantime, it looks like I will need some type of permit, which will get expensive quick, unless I can get a waiver as listed here:
LA Parks Film Office said:
The location fee may be waived for students, press (with valid I.D.), non-profit organizations with proper documentation, government entities, and those producing programming for broadcast over public access channels in the City of Los Angeles

Third page, halfway down:

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/lamc63.pdf

“Within the limits of any park or other City-owned Harbor Department designated and controlled property within the City of Los Angeles…No person shall land, release, take off or fly any balloon, except children toy balloons not inflated with any flammable material, helicopter, parakite, hang glider, aircraft or powered models thereof, except in areas specifically set aside therefor.”

First of all, I just briefly skimmed the video. Did it show the UAV landing or taking off from the Park?

I can see how the city wants to limit flying in, around, above, from the parks.... but they don't have jurisdiction. They can only legally proven you from what you do on the ground. So you can't take off from, operate from (as in standing in a park while you are operating), or land in a park. But you can go across the street from private property or NON park public property (like the street or sidewalk) and take off and operate from. The airspace above a park is controlled by the Federal Government (FAA). They preempt any city law.
The word "fly" in the above "rule" is vague anyways.

Would you know if the "Los Angeles River" is also a no fly zone restricted area for drones?

Does it fall under CITY PARKS category?

TY

Reactions: Seawolf

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl