Cheap, strong case in Australia

Surprised it works. I tried the Bunnings case which was a bit higher at 220mm. Was not high enough with props off.

A good option for the foam is go to Clark rubber and get them to make something up for you. Cost roughly $50.

Hi fares, I'm sure there is not pressure on the props under normal conditions! i was expecting pressure changes in the aeroplane to pull the case open, but in fact, when the case was in the plane, the air expanded and escaped, then when it landed that put the inside of the case under a vacuum, pulling the sides inwards at least a few mm each. Combine that with being thrown around by baggage carriers there has been some minor contact

Props do stay on, and I dare say in this trip there has been very slight contact with the top of the case, as can be seen in the prop top photo. Personally Im not concerned, but thats an individual thing!

I have the exact same thing and I'm way more annoyed by it than you seem to be.
Of course my shiny bald spot is on my head and yours is on your phantom but they're remarkably similar ;-)

Reactions: Rider82
Hi fares, I'm sure there is not pressure on the props under normal conditions! i was expecting pressure changes in the aeroplane to pull the case open, but in fact, when the case was in the plane, the air expanded and escaped, then when it landed that put the inside of the case under a vacuum, pulling the sides inwards at least a few mm each. Combine that with being thrown around by baggage carriers there has been some minor contact

From this I understand that you didnt carry it with on plane as a carry on case??

I have the same size case for my P1 but it's from Bunnings and $16 cheaper.
http://www.bunnings.com.au/craftright-515-x-435-x-225mm-large-safe-case_p5810184
Phantom Hard Case 2.jpg

From this I understand that you didnt carry it with on plane as a carry on case??
I did both Fares! I did 8hrs and 2 hrs with it checked in, then last 1.5hr flight with it carry-on. Someone else in the thread advised it's slightly too large for carry-on, but Garuda in Indonesia did not mind!

I have the exact same thing and I'm way more annoyed by it than you seem to be.
Of course my shiny bald spot is on my head and yours is on your phantom but they're remarkably similar ;-)

haha, I have a balding problem from the stresses at work; I'm not about to let a balding prop upset me! :D

I'm thinking I might put some chalk on the prop tips to figure out exactly where they touch the lid, then take a small bite out of the lid with a router, just a few more mm! Then I can change the props and have ones without a balding problem! ;) Maybe I should do the same in the base, for the foam pads on the feet... now that's an idea! way to lock it into the exact same place! :D Thanks!

Uggg... 6kg for the case? That's making me reconsider. Still good for travel (if weight limit isn't a concern) but a bit more of a bugger for lugging around on site.

I bought one of these for my P3A and basically copied the design posted by the OP. Works really well.
I can also confirm that I have taken this on board Qantas domestic as carry on.
Last week I flew from Melbourne to Townsville via Brisbane return (so 4 flights in all) and upon initial checkin I asked if I needed to check it in or could I carry it on. I was told to weigh it as carry on has a 7kg limit. Mine weighed 7.8kg with 2 batteries and Ipad mini in the case. Check in said it was fine to carry on and I didn't try to fit it into the carry on measurer thing (whatever it's actually called ...lol)

Fitted well in the overhead storage on the 737-800's we flew on without issue. Security never even asked me to open the case, but one of them asked if it was a quadcopter......

Reactions: Rider82
I bought one of these for my P3A and basically copied the design posted by the OP. Works really well.
I can also confirm that I have taken this on board Qantas domestic as carry on.
Last week I flew from Melbourne to Townsville via Brisbane return (so 4 flights in all) and upon initial checkin I asked if I needed to check it in or could I carry it on. I was told to weigh it as carry on has a 7kg limit. Mine weighed 7.8kg with 2 batteries and Ipad mini in the case. Check in said it was fine to carry on and I didn't try to fit it into the carry on measurer thing (whatever it's actually called ...lol)

Fitted well in the overhead storage on the 737-800's we flew on without issue. Security never even asked me to open the case, but one of them asked if it was a quadcopter......
Can you snap us a picture?

Just got mine. Wayy cheaper than before. Also got a tool box. For the same price as if there was no sale i got 2 cases instead one, the phantom case only 75$ with foam. So its good deal. Got it now but have no clue how to fit my bird inside

Here's mine.
Just gotta be a bit careful putting in and taking out the equipment as I've already noticed some of the segments that are quite thin (like one segment wide) starting to seperate.

Here's mine.
Just gotta be a bit careful putting in and taking out the equipment as I've already noticed some of the segments that are quite thin (like one segment wide) starting to seperate.

Can i fit my phantom with props on safely ?

You could, but it would be very tight.
You would need to remove the foam piece that sits in the lid and replace it with a much thinner piece, as I feel there'd be too much pressure on the props with it the way it is.
Even now without the props on I still have to put a bit of pressure on the lid to enable it to close and lock.
Those props are just sitting on, they aren't threaded on and the angle of the photo makes it look like they overhang, but they do just fit.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl