Cheap, strong case in Australia

Update:
I got the case and its just perfect. Its really a bargain.
Now, tge stock lid foam is a bit think, which will put pressure if you fit the phantom with props on. So i went out a got my silf preety thin foam. Which is now perfect to fit phantom with props on.
So, I decided that i will use stck foam if am traveling outside town or country and will use my custom foam for traveling inside the city. Here is a picture.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1437282970.705629.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1437282985.467216.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1437283028.471861.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1437283051.488663.jpg

Cheers

Just clarifying...can u leave the props on with lid closed...and a question where did u get the foam?

Just clarifying...can u leave the props on with lid closed...and a question where did u get the foam?
With stck phantom no. With custom foam yes you can. I got the foam from bunnings wairaru rd auckland.

Update:
I got the case and its just perfect. Its really a bargain.
Now, tge stock lid foam is a bit think, which will put pressure if you fit the phantom with props on. So i went out a got my silf preety thin foam. Which is now perfect to fit phantom with props on.
So, I decided that i will use stck foam if am traveling outside town or country and will use my custom foam for traveling inside the city. Here is a picture.
View attachment 25231View attachment 25232View attachment 25233View attachment 25234

Cheers
While this is a good idea, your still placing pressure on the rotors. I cut the stock foam down so it only places pressure on the body of the GPS, that way the arms can never be pressed downward! [emoji3]

While this is a good idea, your still placing pressure on the rotors. I cut the stock foam down so it only places pressure on the body of the GPS, that way the arms can never be pressed downward! [emoji3]
I love this forum. New ideas every where.
But am confidence mine also does not have pressure on props what so ever.
Will try your idea and see how it goes..can you snap us a picture ?

Reactions: Rider82
Don't forget the batteries shouldn't go in checked luggage

Just flew Qantas from Perth To Melbourne with my P2V+ and they told me to leave the batteries in the checked luggage when I asked at check in. They even took one away to confirm and came back saying leave them in there. Same with Jetstar on the way home. Weird!

Just bought one of these I wish they were just a bit deeper 20 or even 30 mm .
I took all the foam out and put my P3a (props off) in and it would not slide around when I tilted the case .
Being a cheaper build the top and bottom of the case dip in about 6 mm so you are losing 12mm plus .I am not happy with this since it is going to put pressure on the arms even without the foam.
I may make a deeper base section for it .(got to think about something on those sleepless nights)
If Im happy with the result Ill post a photo.

Yeah im not using mine either the bottom of my case was warped inwards so the props were touching heaps... I tried to heat the bottom of the case up trying to straighten it up with weight over a few nights.. but it didn't help.

I wish i could of returned it but i already cut the foam so didn't bother.

Yeah im not using mine either the bottom of my case was warped inwards so the props were touching heaps... I tried to heat the bottom of the case up trying to straighten it up with weight over a few nights.. but it didn't help.

I wish i could of returned it but i already cut the foam so didn't bother.
I was thinking of doing the same thing but once thick plastic like that forms a shape it retains the memory .I was going to try my oxy with the big heating tip held at a distance. Since I a cant take it back either I am thinking of cutting a large section out of the bottom and making a step down bottom out of alloy channel and sheet giving me another 30mm .The trouble is I dont want to buy 6m of channel ! So Im still thinking about it.
This is my initial effort .The case I had and the foam was from a mattress. .Not very compact and I originally cut it ti fit the controller all set up with shade and tablet but that wasn't great. I just wanted something to to put in the hilux for around the farm works well.

Attachments

• IMG_4802.JPG
    IMG_4802.JPG
    550.5 KB · Views: 292
Did you guys end up being successful? I just got one of these and because of the warpage on the lid and base I'm seriously thinking of returning it.
I tried putting the phantom in without the foam and the lid wouldn't shut, and I wasn't going to force it. Even the pic of the case on the site looks slightly wonky. Look at the video about 40s in.

No point in stressing my costly craft for the sake of cheaping out on a case.

Last edited:
I ended up getting a HPRC from the family for Christmas .Made in Italy very nice
I operated on the one from Bunnings (cant stand to see it sitting there doing nothing)
I use ut for the Standard and the HPRC for the Advanced
It was bit of mucking around but works well If you want info on how I did it let me know.IMG_1544.JPG IMG_1543.JPG IMG_1544.JPG IMG_1543.JPG

Very nicely done. I was thinking of the same as the HPRC seems to be about the only 'reasonably' priced case in Oz! Isn't the Craftright supposed to be 10mm thicker than the SCA one?

We got the HRPC from B&H I think its called in the US took about 10 days It was the cheapest of the better ones $380 del
Very well made ,heavy though but I think all the plastic ones are . The DJI alloy ones aren't bad and lighter .
I added 30mm to the base I realized later lighter alloy channel would have worked and maybe 20mm .Cost $50 for the metal and an hours work .I got rid of the pluck foam it was annoying me .I put in a layer of 50mm white foam deeper down the cut it all out with a kitchen knife then took it to my local upholsterer who glued it all in/together with spray contact glue .So it was simple !!

Reactions: rocketflyer
Did you guys end up being successful? I just got one of these and because of the warpage on the lid and base I'm seriously thinking of returning it.
I tried putting the phantom in without the foam and the lid wouldn't shut, and I wasn't going to force it. Even the pic of the case on the site looks slightly wonky. Look at the video about 40s in.

No point in stressing my costly craft for the sake of cheaping out on a case.

nope didn't end up using this case for my phantom using it for some other stuff and couldn't return as i ripped heaps of foam.

Just purchased the super cheap auto one . Work offered to buy me one so I could use it at site. As we are tight on cash due to my mine being in care and maintenance I thought bugger it Ill get this cheap one. The OP seemed pretty happy with it. The trip is only 1.30hr so it should survive being in checked luggage.
Anyway I have an old pelican case from work of similar dimensions so I'll put the foam into that if the tool pro is too flimsy. Its funny as the pick n pluck foam for the pelican is the same price as the entire tool pro case

Just be careful .As mentioned above if the base and lid are warped in that will put pressure on the motors and arms .

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl