Cheap FPV goggle lenses

Reaction score
I've always wanted to fly FPV but I have a brain injury that causes me to get dizzy very easy. Still I wanted to try it, so on my first quadcopter which is a homebuilt H-quad, with a GoPro hanging underneath it... I decided to try it. I figured it probably wouldn't work for me and my stupid brain, so I went cheap. I bought one of those Quanum DIY FPV foam goggles for like 30 bucks. Then I bought a cheap 5.8Ghz video TX/RX, used an old CCTV camera I had, and installed in on my quad.
It worked well... On the ground.

I had my two kids with me to help in spotting, but once I got it in the air, there was so much movement in the camera view, (since there was no gimbal) that I quickly got extremely dizzy, completely out of control, went way out of view, and crashed hard from probably 200 feet in the air.

Luckily... The farmers fields around here were freshly cut, and it wasn't long until we found the bright colors of the wreckage, strewn about in 14 or so pieces in the dirt.

I have become an expert at crashing and repairing it, so it was about 20 minutes until I had it flight ready again...
But I never....
Ever...
...put the FPV stuff back on it.

Flash forward to the Phantom 3 Advanced and it's fancy gimbal....

I've been using my iPhone 5s on the radio and it works great, but the other day I thought maybe I could try removing the 7" screen from the foam FPV goggle set I have, and putting my phone in there instead, hoping the gimbal could help smooth out the video for me. So I grabbed the duct tape and got busy.

With the Phantom being so easy to fly, if I had dizziness problems, I could just let the sticks go, hit RTH, and feel confident that I wouldn't be out a thousand bucks.

Well, I loved it!
It was super smooth, nice and level, and I didn't get dizzy! It was like watching a movie with those slow moving aerial shots! The gimbal made a HUGE difference for me!
Now that I've figured out that I can handle the FPV goggles though, I want to upgrade to something a little better. I'm completely happy with the cheapo foam goggle set I have now, but the fresnel lens distorts the image quality quite a bit.

I'd be happy even getting one of those Google Cardboard set ups if it had actual good quality lenses in it, but I have no idea if it does or not.

I just want something cheap, with quality lenses, that I can put my phone on the end of. I'll use tape again if I have to. If it works out good, and I fall in love with FPV flying, then I may consider getting the HDMI output module for the back of my radio, then getting a set of FatSharks or something.

Any suggestions for a temporary set of goggles with good lenses?

I've always wanted to fly FPV but I have a brain injury that causes me to get dizzy very easy. Still I wanted to try it, so on my first quadcopter which is a homebuilt H-quad, with a GoPro hanging underneath it... I decided to try it. I figured it probably wouldn't work for me and my stupid brain, so I went cheap. I bought one of those Quanum DIY FPV foam goggles for like 30 bucks. Then I bought a cheap 5.8Ghz video TX/RX, used an old CCTV camera I had, and installed in on my quad.
It worked well... On the ground.

I had my two kids with me to help in spotting, but once I got it in the air, there was so much movement in the camera view, (since there was no gimbal) that I quickly got extremely dizzy, completely out of control, went way out of view, and crashed hard from probably 200 feet in the air.

Luckily... The farmers fields around here were freshly cut, and it wasn't long until we found the bright colors of the wreckage, strewn about in 14 or so pieces in the dirt.

I have become an expert at crashing and repairing it, so it was about 20 minutes until I had it flight ready again...
But I never....
Ever...
...put the FPV stuff back on it.

Flash forward to the Phantom 3 Advanced and it's fancy gimbal....

I've been using my iPhone 5s on the radio and it works great, but the other day I thought maybe I could try removing the 7" screen from the foam FPV goggle set I have, and putting my phone in there instead, hoping the gimbal could help smooth out the video for me. So I grabbed the duct tape and got busy.

With the Phantom being so easy to fly, if I had dizziness problems, I could just let the sticks go, hit RTH, and feel confident that I wouldn't be out a thousand bucks.

Well, I loved it!
It was super smooth, nice and level, and I didn't get dizzy! It was like watching a movie with those slow moving aerial shots! The gimbal made a HUGE difference for me!
Now that I've figured out that I can handle the FPV goggles though, I want to upgrade to something a little better. I'm completely happy with the cheapo foam goggle set I have now, but the fresnel lens distorts the image quality quite a bit.

I'd be happy even getting one of those Google Cardboard set ups if it had actual good quality lenses in it, but I have no idea if it does or not.

I just want something cheap, with quality lenses, that I can put my phone on the end of. I'll use tape again if I have to. If it works out good, and I fall in love with FPV flying, then I may consider getting the HDMI output module for the back of my radio, then getting a set of FatSharks or something.

Any suggestions for a temporary set of goggles with good lenses?

Dude save up and get a Headplay FPV headset, I use one on my Phantom 3 Pro, now with a 7" screen in HD that is like going to the movies.
Happy Holidays
Waylander

Dude save up and get a Headplay FPV headset, I use one on my Phantom 3 Pro, now with a 7" screen in HD that is like going to the movies.
Happy Holidays
Waylander
Do you have the HDMI output module on your radio then? How is that thing working out for you?

Otherwise how else would you connect it?

Do you have the HDMI output module on your radio then? How is that thing working out for you?

Otherwise how else would you connect it?
Sorry Scratch, yes I do have the HDMI output module on my RC, and as I said in the post the display is awesome, in fact the display looks so big, (at 16:9 ratio) that I have fitted the smaller screen (4:3 ratio), the clarity is ace.
PS sorry for the delay in responding, time zone issues, I'm in the UK.
Waylander

Sorry Scratch, yes I do have the HDMI output module on my RC, and as I said in the post the display is awesome, in fact the display looks so big, (at 16:9 ratio) that I have fitted the smaller screen (4:3 ratio), the clarity is ace.
PS sorry for the delay in responding, time zone issues, I'm in the UK.
Waylander
I too am in the Uk. Freezing my props off at the moment. Can you tell me what you had to buy and fit extra to the P3? Goggles, HDMI module etc. Which ones to look for and some idea of costs. Also how hard it was to put together. Thanks! :) Frank C

Hi Frankc

You need the DJI HDMI Board (just type DJI HDMI in google you'll find heaps of suppliers)
Then again Google is you friend type Headplay FPV, you will see loads of suppliers.
You will all so need a Mini HDMI to Mini HDMI cable.

It is not difficult to fit check this out....

Then in you're RC You need to select the option to output video to the ipad and the HDMI
and the switch beneath that needs to be "On", i'm sorry I'm not in front of the RC now so cant send you a photo but if you cant find how to do it, post me again and i'll send you a screen shot tonight.

Regards
Waylander

Reactions: Frankc
Thanks. That was VERY useful. :) Thats the HDMI sorted. Now I have to find myself some good FPV goggles etc.

Regarding the switch underneath, I cannot see one in Toms video. 2:12 on.

Sorry Frankc I can see that my description regarding "the switch underneath" has confused you, because it was not very good, I will post a reply tonight when I have access to my RC & Ipad that will explain it.

Have you looked at the "HeadPlay FPV", goggles, did you not like them, they are a bit big but thdisplay is awesome.

Waylander

Sorry Frankc I can see that my description regarding "the switch underneath" has confused you, because it was not very good, I will post a reply tonight when I have access to my RC & Ipad that will explain it.

Have you looked at the "HeadPlay FPV", goggles, did you not like them, they are a bit big but thdisplay is awesome.

Waylander
No probs and no rush. I did look at the Headplay HeadPlay goggles finally ship and they are a BIG DEAL.! - FPVguy - Vicariously experiencing flight in 640x480px but to me its like wearing a mini tv on your head. Bit too big for me. :)

Anyone tried these? Quanum DIY FPV Goggle Set with Monitor (KIT)

I think I will get myself some chepo glasses, like those above or the Goggle Cardboard Glasses just so I can use them when I am back home reviewing the videos. Should make it interesting :)
That's the exact set I have, that I was talking about in the first post. I just removed the LCD screen from it and taped my iphone to the front of it. Here's a pic of my current setup:
8e1f5d1c6a3cb319156cfb139d539541_zpsxclvd5jt.jpg

You won't be able to use the Google cardboard setup unless you have the ability to split the screen image somehow.

Hi Frankc

The Quanum DIY FPV is exactly like the Headplay, but I think the resolution and pixel density of the screen is much less, non the les it will give you an idea of what the subversive experience in FPV is like.
Here are the settings to be made in the RC Go app.. Simultaneous image..... "On", Display OSD...... "On"
anyway have fun with what ever you choose for FPV goggles, I have seen a set which is polystyrene, that allows you to put an iPhone in as the screen, in which case you do not need the DJI HDMI RC module

Oh Scratch beat me to it... Ha Ha
Regards
Waylander
IMG_0002[1].jpg

I think I will just wait till someone comes along and says look at this, fits easy, low cost and the picture is to die for :)

After my aircraft played up today I am reluctant to fork out anything else until I am sure its 100% again.

Looking at your Pic Waylander reminded me of a question I keep meaning to ask but always forget. On the Red Triangle that represents the aircraft position and direction there is a green bit. I have always wondered if there was more to it than showing you which way the camera is pointing? I have not seen any reference to it elsewhere.

So is it which way the camera is pointing?

Hi sorry for delay in replying, been away.. Yes the green bits, like head lights, to be honest I have no idea what it means, someone more clued up than me needs to answer, I think you are probably right it shows which way the camera is facing...?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl