Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Charging Battery at 95%

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by AirSpace2016, Feb 23, 2016.

1. AirSpace2016

The DJI manual says when the battery is 95% or over to turn the battery on then charge the battery should then turn off when charged.

I have a DJI hub charger and when I do this I have noticed that the green light flashes (on charging hub) to indicate charging and after perhaps 2 minutes I see a stready green light (on charging hub) and battery turns off to indicate it has charged.

I noticed the other 2 that when I charged the battery in the same manner under the same conditions, the green light was steady (to indicate a full charge on the charging hub) but the battery did not turn off. Does this mean it is still charging/balancing or what?

I have also noticed one of my other batteries upon full charge displays 98% and not 100% on full take off. None of these batteries have reached the 20 cycle amount yet so have not done an 8% discharge/recharge as of yet.

2. alokbhargava

I do not have the charging hub so can't comment on the indications on hub lights but can definitely help you understand how battery behaves during charging.

1. During charging battery led bars blink serially to indicate that charging is on and approx level of charge.

2. Led stops blinking when battery is fully charged

3. If you keep the battery for a day or so, battery may lose charge and will not remain at 100%

4. If you try to recharge a battery that has 95% or more charge, you need to switch on the battery for further charging else it won't top up.

5. If you wait for the days set to start auto discharge cycle, voltage will discharge to ~ 60%

6. It's better to recharge / top up to 100% before you start flying.

3. m0j0

Yes turn it on and charge it prior to flight

Yes this means your battery has completed the charge. Fly it..

I would say that you should charge your batteries or top them off prior to flight. This is critically important in cold battery temps. I would also add that running your battery to 8% like you are instructed in the DJI manual has resulted in damaging batteries. I would not discharge the batteries much lower than 15-20%

4. AirSpace2016

Thanks for the help if a battery is fully charged shouldn't it then turn off? What I don't understand is when I topped up my batteries one of them showed 98% with a good voltage in the app and not 100% interstingly enough this battery also engaged the critical battery at 12% and not 10?

Can anyone confirm if you are critically landing at 10% can you raise the altitude by throttling up at all or will it just maintain the altitude when you started doing this.

Also I have read if you flick into atti mode and back or initalise the rth it won't auto descend this doesn't sound logical to me but I don't want to get into the habit of testing critical 10% battery

5. Dirty Bird

You can manually maintain altitude & climb with <10% but she climbs slower than the normal rate.

6. Mark The Droner

It could be your battery isn't giving you an exactly correct reading. In other words, it could be slightly out of calibration, and it could be a deep discharge would bring it back into calibration. However, 2% is not enough to worry about quite yet. MHO

7. AirSpace2016

What is the best way to deep discharge should I fly to around 10% then charge it back up ?

8. RedHotPoker

Fly it down to 20%, and for the last ten% let it run idle on the ground, or what I do is utilize the SIM. Trying to fly a battery down to 10%, in my experience, it would have landed on its own already.

RedHotPoker

9. alokbhargava

Also if you are idling to discharge and if the ambient is hot, don't risk it, use a fan to blow air onto a/c.

10. RedHotPoker

Yes, I use a double fan, great for charging two batteries at a time.
    Or my RC and a battery. I always have the drone on one of fans while using the onboard flight sim as well.

RedHotPoker