Changing to FCC mode

Reaction score
Hi,
Just purchased the Phantom 2 Vision+, got calibrated and took my first video on the street. 2 questions.
1. Do you turn the potentiometer on the TX or do it via the assistant when switching to FCC mode?
2. Is there a way to retrieve the data for each recorded video (height, GPS location, distance travelled etc. )?
THX

You can switch either through changing the potentiometer, or through the Assistant. You'll know your controller is in FCC mode because it will emit two beeps when you power on.

Unfortunately, the telemetry data is not available for videos. To obtain that information, you would have to add a Flytrex Core 2 to your Phantom for recording the telemetry, and Dashware to overlay the telemetry over the video.

Doering said:
AnselA said:
Doering said:
... the data for each recorded video (height, GPS location, distance travelled etc. )?

What do you mean by video's GPS location? Usually Phantom moves when the video is recorded.

I was just wondering if the GPS location (tracking) could be accessed for an entire flight.

If you take a still picture just before starting video recording and another when you stop it, you can get those locations from image EXIF data.

Does changing to FCC mode increase drain on the transmitter batteries? Any idea how many flights the transmitter batteries are good for before needing to replace them?

Juvenis said:
Does changing to FCC mode increase drain on the transmitter batteries? Any idea how many flights the transmitter batteries are good for before needing to replace them?

I have 66 flights (FCC mode) and I am still on the original batteries that came with the controller. The controller LED will flash red and it will beep when the batteries get low.

What is the benefit of using telemetry and the Flytrex Core 2? How can this help me?

kymedic121 said:
What is the benefit of using telemetry and the Flytrex Core 2? How can this help me?

The Flytrex Core 2 is a "black box" for your Phantom. It automatically records GPS flight data each time you fly. When you purchase the Core, you get your own page on the Flytrex site where you can upload your flight data. Its keeps track of your flights, max speed, altitude, distance, etc.. You can combine the data with another program called "Dashware." Dashware allows you to overlay the telemetry data onto your videos, you can see the telemetry in real time. The Core 2 is $49.99, plus $8.99 for the Phantom cable. It connects inline with the GPS module, so you do have to remove the lid of your Phantom. The Core 2 is very small, and many users just use double-sided tape to attach it to the outside of the Phantom. You may also install it internally, but you'll need to cut a slot to access the MicroSD in order to retrieve the flight data from the card. The Dashware program is also $49.99 and may be purchased and downloaded online. It has a trial version that allows you to see the data overlaid on your video, but you can't save the video unless you pay the purchase price.

Sounds like something I won't need unless I get to the point where I am really needing to keep up with my data. I can see where this data would be helpful for some people. Thanks for explaining that to me. It amazes the amount of technology that is out there for these things. I found a website that has the retractable landing gear for the P2+. It operates on a 7th channel on the remote and comes in a kit. It pretty much just connects in to what you already have. Most are using the slider control on the back of the remote to retract and deploy the landing gear. I cannot see a practical purpose but I will admit it is pretty neat gadget.

I can't find the thread I was reading where he actually showed the use. There were pics where he also added a knob later and one guy had changed his remote and disabled the IOC switch in order to accomplish this. But here is a video of one that I did find. I do think this guy changed remotes as well. http://youtu.be/vTcs5LmsXao

Remember quads like the FC40 and the original Phantom do not show telemetry data anywhere so an excellent way to get that data is the Flytrex. I love mine. I have not used dashware yet, but I look forward to seeing that data overlaid the video, especially for flights like when I went over 7000' elevation at a high country lake. I am a data hungry kind of person, so ways to monitor telemetry and battery I want.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl