Carbon or Plastic

Reaction score
Carbon or Plastic Props

I see Carbon are just over twice the price of Plastic but sill not expensive .

I would have assumed Carbon would be the best material to use ,less flex /stronger ect, what are your thoughts.

I asked this a few days ago, Im told carbon fibre kill you, but yet to see any proof of this . . .

So do mine , but due to the props being plastic maybe out of balance/flexing being the cause of why people are developing cracks in their air frame .

Use DJI authentic props, carbon or plastic both are ok. Both have pluses and minuses but just go for original dji make.

DJI made carbon fibre props has made my Pro3 more responsive. Have used carbon fibre on an F550 Flamewheel and I like them.

They also remove the bend factor of the plastic ones. Not much in it but the carbon fibre do make the bird look even more beautiful IMO.

What would be the advantage of carbon over OEM?
In applications where any performance gains that might be realised aren’t negated by flight control algorithms (the phantoms constantly measure flight performance and modify propulsion system output to keep flight characteristics within defined limits) you could see faster acceleration and max speeds. This is centrainly demonstrated with RC heli’s and fixed wing AC. The only real advantage in the phantoms is they look cool, the trade off, as demonstrated in many threads on this forum, is increased risk of failure. Most being faux CF that might actually realise inferior performance to OEM offerings.

Reactions: Erised
DJI does sell both carbon and plastic props and you won't go wrong with either of them.

With the carbon props, they more durable, lighter and can offer increased performance. However, from various readings on the forum and recounts in YouTube, carbon props are more susceptible to stalling the aircraft. In practice, if you descend quickly, the AC has a higher chance of struggling to descend yet maintain stability in the air. Plastic props still have this risk to following the laws of aerodynamics but not to the extent of CF.

Doesn't hurt to try them out if it won't break the bank - they do look pretty slick on the Phantom. Just stick to DJI OEM props to have that quality assurance.

Safe flying!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94