Carbon Fibre Tri Blade Props?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've read a lot on here regarding this but it just seems like an argument about whether or not they're better. I would like people's honest opinions because at the end of the day these are what hold my bird in the sky.

I bought from Malaysia some carbon fibre tri blades (three blades). They are very light and look really good. I've read that a drone with tri props are really hard to control and make it risky to fly.

They were cheap so I just bought them. Should I not risk using them and just bin them or are they okay to use?!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

173211014f5d5a3a6f5bffa9bca4f110.jpg

I've read that a drone with tri props are really hard to control and make it risky to fly.
Many people have had this same experience with 3rd party props. Others have crashed their Phantoms. Is it worth the risk? Only you can decide that. I personally only use OEM DJI props on my Phantoms. They were designed for the Phantom and work very well.

Reactions: hexagon
Without going into the aerodynamics and the physics here, I can see more disadvantages than advantages here. This has been discussed many times before on here...

I've read a lot on here regarding this but it just seems like an argument about whether or not they're better. I would like people's honest opinions because at the end of the day these are what hold my bird in the sky.
I bought from Malaysia some carbon fibre tri blades (three blades). They are very light and look really good. I've read that a drone with tri props are really hard to control and make it risky to fly.
They were cheap so I just bought them. Should I not risk using them and just bin them or are they okay to use?!
DJI's propulsion engineers put together a tuned propulsion system by matching motors, ESCs and propellers.
I guess they didn't have access to some cheap, badass looking black triblades or they would have fitted them for sure.
Any way it's not like props are really important, is it?

Reactions: Kirby Johnson
I would not use them on my bird. Too risky. They do look cool, though.

i don't understand how you have taken offence at any of the replies. The concensus is that tri blades are of no benefit and may be detrimental. You had already read that before buying your props and appear to want to us to justify your purchase.
If someone said use them and they then caused damage or a crash, would you accept responsibility or blame the person that said use them?

+1 above.

Also research prop design and learn why some have more blades than others.
You'll find you Phantom has no need for more blades.

I put carbon standard props on a Phantom 1 and it caused a crash..the blades need to be able to flex (like suspension) and when they cant the quad can become unstable.....mine flipped over in 15mph winds and smacked the ground, luckily I was only about 6 ft in the air and it didn't break anything...after that I only used flexible plastic props and never had an issue since.

Reactions: Philltayl
Hi all,

I like how you state "I've read that a drone with tri props are really hard to control and make it risky to fly." YET you bought some and asked us if you should fly them and when we all agree that they are junk you get mad....the whole internet is telling you to not use them LMAO

@Thomas Morrison
"Read my initial post.
emoji847.png
found plenty none had my answer on
."
If that was a reply to me, I did, I did again ;)

I'm done with arguing, and hope all others are also. :)

Rod

Reactions: slapnasty
Don't get mad for people
Suggesting not to use them, they are in the bin as we speak. I get made at certain people on a forum where members are there to HELP each other out. There's a handful that just have to be sarcastic. Just remember you all started somewhere with not a lot of experience and had to ask for help. I bought them before I read about them.

Let's assume they are well balanced, won't snap in flight and the hub material and tolerances provide that one won't spin off. That is only part of the story. To the extent the tri blades produce greater thrust for a given RPM than OEM offerings the ESC will need to provide higher current, you almost certainly will get reduced flight times and if the current demand is high enough esc lifespan may be reduced or it could fail. The OEM props are presumably matched to the hardware and the flight controller algorithms written to account for their performance characteristics.

You won't get increased performance, max climb/decent rate and pitch angle angle are all limited by the flight controller.

It is most likely these props are nothing more than the product of an opportunistic third party manufacturer.

Nothing to be gained (aside from looks) and a lot at risk.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl