Car accident, police activity... no helicopter... Can I? Is there a law..

The location was. Or would have been line of sight. And I completely understand not to interfere with any emergency aircraft or helicopter. But footage could be useful and would be amazing to see from a safe distance. So I don't attract and attention

Ok. Let's hear the opinions both sides!

I really wish you would never do anything like that. You would be ignoring many of the safety regulations listed above. We already have plenty of knuckleheads doing that and giving our great hobby more troubles.

If it's something you really want to do, go volunteer your drone video services at your local PD or FD. Maybe they would welcome them. That's the opinion from my side.

I'm gonna agree with John here personally. If you had a good conversation with the police or fire dept, maybe they would give you a thumbs up and then you'd be on the inside. Sure there are power hungry law enforcement, but I have to think there are plenty more cool and helpful ones. I actually know them both fire and law.

As a fire chief of a small volunteer fire department, I use my drone on grass fires for an elevated platform to keep my people safe and determine where to make a stop on the fire. I also have a great relationship with our local PD, county sheriff, and state troopers. At a fatality accident the law enforcement folks want photos from an elevated position to document the overall scene. I have flown a couple of scenes for them and I give them all of the photos and videos on either a CD or SD card. I would love to utilize my drone at a structure fire, but we like all volunteer departments are short on help most of the time. Contact your local FD and law enforcement and see if you can make relationships to support them. Take the drone and demonstrate your capabilities for flight and the video and photo capabilities of the camera. You will then know the attitude they have towards drone usage. For Search and Rescue operations a drone can cover a lot of ground very quickly.
My offers of support to the LEOs were not taken very seriously at first, but after a recent accident scene that spanned over a quarter mile, they are now ready to utilize the technology available to them.

Good luck, be safe!

Reactions: jsm1847
I'm gonna agree with John here personally. If you had a good conversation with the police or fire dept, maybe they would give you a thumbs up and then you'd be on the inside. Sure there are power hungry law enforcement, but I have to think there are plenty more cool and helpful ones. I actually know them both fire and law.

As a former police commander I have to ditto Johns advice. Ask the on scene police or fire commander for permission. Be brief as he/she will be busy unless it's a relative small fender bender. I know I'd want a copy of one of the aerials to aid my accident report. Don't be a ******* and tell them you'll "sell" them one, you'll get kicked off the scene and don't just show up and start flying around. Why we're doing "don'ts", DO NOT sell/give give a picture to the press. If you do, you'll immediate qualify yourself as a commercial enterprise with all the FAA pain that causes. (Not sure how that's going to play out with the last Federal court ruling concerning drone licensing, etc.)

I'm just stating what my opinion from what past experiences have taught me over my 35 years as a LEO. However I never had to deal with drones. It would have made my traffic detail easier for the Abraham Lincoln funeral.

Coming from retired law enforcement officer when I first started breach of peace was a catch-all if an officer wanted to arrest somebody, nowadays interfering with a police officer is used as a catch-all,
so depending on the mood of the police officer and if he feels you're flying the Drone near the accident is interfering in any way with his investigation you may or may not get arrested or have your drone confiscated police officers are people too they have good days and bad days if you catch one on a bad day you just might get arrested or have your drone confiscated plus the rules do say stay away from emergency situations.

I agree with everyone who said don't over think this.... Is standing in the area with a cell phone making a video of the accident impeding the rescue effort or police activity? No, not if you are not in the way.
I don't see why it wouldn't apply to a drone either. If there are no rescue aircraft involved, what is the problem.
Like one guy mentioned, the same rules apply like for any other scenario that involves a group of people........ if a malfunction in your drone occurs, whose head is it going to drop onto? Nobody around for your drone to bop in the head? No problem.
Some of these "pilots" are like so called security guards who, given a little power, act like they are real cops. Guys, you are not actual pilots - use common sense and just enjoy your hobby.

Just being curious hobbyist to see what has happened (ditto original post) vs pro-active involvement to help professionals in rush is different. Drone like P4 is much more intrusive than cell phone and can disturb, but welcomed by rescue teams once they know acting as team work, I think.

Coming from retired law enforcement officer when I first started breach of peace was a catch-all if an officer wanted to arrest somebody, nowadays interfering with a police officer is used as a catch-all,
so depending on the mood of the police officer and if he feels you're flying the Drone near the accident is interfering in any way with his investigation you may or may not get arrested or have your drone confiscated police officers are people too they have good days and bad days if you catch one on a bad day you just might get arrested or have your drone confiscated plus the rules do say stay away from emergency situations.

And that is why you introduce yourself and ask permission .................. BTW, ours was "Interference With Governmental Operations".

In Arkansas you can stop at the scene of an accident and take pictures but if a Police Officer tells you no more pictures, then you have to comply and stop taking pictures with a camera or phone camera. If you don't he can confiscate your camera or phone and you have to go the police department to get it back if they decide not to keep it and sell it at the Police Auction. What really matters is the Police Officer in charge and what he decides at the scene of the accident. He represents the LAW and as such you have to listen and comply with what he thinks is best for the situation at that point in time. Smart thing would be to offer help and assistance to the officer in any form possible.

Be prepared to surrender your drone, camera, and cell phone if you take any pictures of an accident. As soon as you take a picture the camera becomes evidence and may have to be surrendered.
That is bull and a 1st amendment violation. You can take pictures of anything visible from a public space. Police may try to bully you into surrendering devices and media but have no legal authority to do so. A warrant is required if there are no exigent circumstances.

Hello. I've been looking through a few post here. Good conversation guys. I know it would be "cool" to get footage of these types of situations, but do remember, some discretion should be adhered to. Someones family member could be seriously injured and "exposed" while you're getting "evidence" to help with the investigation. If the tables were turned, would you want someone posting YOUR misfortune on BooTube or Fakebook? Let's just play by the rules. It's safer for everyone. Knock on wood, just my two pennies.

Last edited:
Reactions: GerryT
As someone involved in a traffic accident I would want very much to have an overhead video that showed the situation from above and not have to rely on the crude drawings made by a local LEO and rely on their writing up the situation accurately. In my own experience the LEO's never got it right and always would distort the information and then lie in court. I would greatly prefer to have a visual record from a independent observer.

I'd check the city code for anything that could be related. That's an easy area to overlook.

A police scanner might be handy to help keep tabs on what is evolving.
Scanner is a great idea. I'm going to dig mine out just to check anyway.

As someone involved in a traffic accident I would want very much to have an overhead video that showed the situation from above and not have to rely on the crude drawings made by a local LEO and rely on their writing up the situation accurately. In my own experience the LEO's never got it right and always would distort the information and then lie in court. I would greatly prefer to have a visual record from a independent observer.
Even pictures/video are open to interpretation based on many factors like angle of view, how to provide measurement, lighting, speed..etc. Plus I don't see what police or authority bashing has to do with the legitimate question.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164