Car accident, police activity... no helicopter... Can I? Is there a law..

Reaction score
I have been flying for a number of years now and have always played by the ever-increasing rules. It's always such a great feeling taking off and seeing the world from that perspective. So, the other morning I hear lots of sirens and wonder what is going on up at an intersection maybe 1/4 mile away. Is there any law against me putting my drone in the air and going to take a look? If so, how do I look up such a law. I don't want to interfere at all with the activity but also want to see for myself what has happened.

Anyone know? Not someone’s random opinion but the facts and the law..

Thanks..

First, if you don't want an opinion you should not be asking a bunch of random strangers this question on the Internet. That is, you are _always_ going to get opinions only here.

I can tell you that you cannot interfere with a police investigation or manned aircraft. That would certainly apply in this situation. According to the FAA, if hobby use, you must also fly within visual line of sight.

I know a drone enthusiast who also happens to be a firefighter. On his off time he monitors emergency channels and flies over and videos structural fires. He does it from a safe distance and never has problems.
I know this doesn't answer the question but adds to the conversation.

Reactions: loonie01
What if your drone is the first on the scene of an accident?
I'd report to authorities, take a couple of pics & get out of the way, eh
Doing a good thing.
Lol I knew you were from Canada before even clicking on your name Royster the eh gave it away. You know what I am saying eh? Lol just messing with ya

Safety Guidelines

• Fly at or below 400 feet
  • Keep your UAS within sight
  • Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
  • Never fly over groups of people
  • Never fly over stadiums or sports events
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
  • Never fly under the influence
  • Be aware of airspace requirements

Reactions: antnyp85
The location was. Or would have been line of sight. And I completely understand not to interfere with any emergency aircraft or helicopter. But footage could be useful and would be amazing to see from a safe distance. So I don't attract and attention

Ok. Let's hear the opinions both sides!

The rules say nope. If you do it anyway, the likelihood of being caught is directly related to how close you get to the scene, how obvious your drone's presence is and how busy the cops are. :)

I don't think it would be a problem if you maintained an acceptably low altitude and kept a safe distance. With that said, considering the wide angle lens, I just don't know how much detail you might capture from a safe distance.

Reactions: loonie01
I'd check the city code for anything that could be related. That's an easy area to overlook.

A police scanner might be handy to help keep tabs on what is evolving.

Reactions: Kong
So, you need a drone, copy of local rules/ordinances, good intentions, police scanner, common sense; is this recreational or commercial?

Reactions: RémyHeli
Good question from FlashBuddy.

Many are getting in touch with local police to know each other and set expectations accordingly local regulations, planned flight, private or commercial, and pilot certification, if any. Such positive attitude does deserve drone community and you already started by sharing here.

The nature of the cases you mention are looking "no go" or maybe acceptable from very distant position, eventually, for which you'll have to discuss. Leverage risk i.e. if an ambulance helicopter is showing up while your craft is within the aera.

Edit: cleaned this post to keep focus on OP intent.

Last edited:
It's your intention of the flight(s) not the accessories you use or prior conversations.
Don't over-think this.

Reactions: RémyHeli
You must research the specific laws in your state. A quick google search indicated that there are laws concerning flying near certain emergency events that vary state by state. For me if you are interested in Auto accidents, a drone would be a poor tool considering it's wide angle lens and rules about getting close to people. If you want to memorialize a massive Freeway Pile Up, that's another matter.

As an example this is from Arizona It's Now Illegal To Fly Drone Over Certain Emergency Situations In Arizona

One thing to consider. An auto accident may require a med evac Helicopter We know what happen is we interfere with manned aircraft..

Be prepared to surrender your drone, camera, and cell phone if you take any pictures of an accident. As soon as you take a picture the camera becomes evidence and may have to be surrendered.

Reactions: VFA22Bonefish
We had an apartment fire here recently and being new to drones I though I should go do a real time video of this fire. But then I thought of all the families being displaced and the fear they feel over this event. I didn't want to be the insensitive gawking stranger in the sky so the drone stayed in it's box. There is a human side one must consider.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj